Amateur on Black Cat Cougar

Amateur on Black Cat Cougar

Postby Teresa » December 29th, 2011, 5:00 am

Hi there,

Bought the machine awhile ago and still have not used it.

Trying to load a picture from Corel Draw into inkscape to cut, but not getting it right.

Can you give me a quick lesson on how to add pictures and cut . :whip:
Teresa

Re: Amateur on Black Cat Cougar

Postby Thyme » December 29th, 2011, 6:26 am

I don't use CorelDraw so all I can tell you is that you need to vectorise the image and send just the vector to Signcut.
Once in Signcut does test cuts to ascertain the correct force and velocity. Then when you are ready to cut, set the origin, go online, press the scissors icon and then in the pop up window press cut
Thyme

Postby PennyDuncan » December 29th, 2011, 7:42 am

As I've been playing with Corel Draw over the weekend...I can tell you that once your convert your image to a vector just save it as an SVG file and then you can open into Inkscape if you want....or like Dawn said send to Signcut.....It's really pretty easy once you get the hang of it....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Teresa » December 29th, 2011, 6:25 pm

HI Ladies,

Have done exactly what you have said, save file as a SVG, that works because it saves the file into a inkscape file.

Tried to send to Signcut, no file comes up on signcut, not even when i import file.

I then said open file and went to fetch it where i saved it, but the screen is just blank, no picture appears to cut.

Csn you tell me if i am doing anything wrong.

I am pretty good in the programs i have worked on and never struggle so much on this one???????

Do you know if there are classes in perth for the blackcat, i would like to attend.

I have bought this machine in June 2011, have not had time to play.

Please help!!!! :banghead:
Teresa

Postby Retta » December 29th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Teresa - to get you file into signcut - you must export to signcut from inkscape. It will be under Extensions - Export - send to signcut. If you do not see this in Inkscape - you should download the plugin for Inkscape to Signcut.

I hope that helps.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby PennyDuncan » December 29th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Just one thought...and I'm sure this probably isn't the problem...but at least worth mentioning.....do you have your opacity on the file set to 100%....the reason I ask this is because if you don't by some chance it won't come into signcut correctly......ask me how I know???!!! LOL
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Thyme » December 29th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Have you vectorised/traced the image before you saved the file?
Thyme

Postby Teresa » December 30th, 2011, 6:14 am

Hi Thyme, yes i have vectorised the file, i did exactly as you told me.

Hi Retta, i have tried the extension and export, but its always giving me an error.

Does anyone know if there are classes in Perth i can attend.

Do you think it would be wise to delete inkscape and signcut and re-load it again.

thanx
Teresa

Postby Barbara » December 30th, 2011, 7:13 am

Is that Perth UK or Perth Western Australia. If you purchased from Jo get in touch with her and one of us will kelp you.
Barbara
Barbara

Postby Retta » December 30th, 2011, 9:11 am

Teresa - Something has to be in your file or if you are like me - your cord wasn't plugged in right (yes ask me how I know.)

Does your file have a picture in it - that is something that signcut will not cut. I find if I go to view and do outline - then I might see a box with a red x in it. That is usually a picture that isn't vectorized and is in the file along with the cutter file. In Inkscape there are layers - and if you have something like this, you can put it on a layer and click on the eye icon - to shut it off - then send the file.

I wouldn't mind looking at this for you. I'm at work right now and am not as able to use the program. I would be happy too later if you want me to. I could see if it will work on my machine?
Retta

Postby Teresa » March 4th, 2012, 6:13 am

what software does everyone use, that has alot of samples to be able to use on signcut.

Or is there any freebies we can use for cutting.

thanx :)
Teresa

Postby Retta » March 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

There are so many free SVG files out there to get and use.
Retta

Postby Suzan » March 4th, 2012, 11:18 am

Teresa wrote:what software does everyone use, that has alot of samples to be able to use on signcut.

Or is there any freebies we can use for cutting.

thanx :)

For free software Inkscape is free. But you still need something to cut with. There is sign cut which is an awesome program, Make the Cut and SCAL (although they are working thru bugs on this one). I would say MTC even though it isn't free is the easiest software to use. It has a lot of user friendly applications in the program. It has a free trial that is fully functional except when cutting it will cut a water mark thru your design. And as Retta said there are virtually thousands of svg's out there to use. Me personally I use Illustrator and signcut, Illustrator is similiar to inkscape, And there are lots of tutorials out there for using inkscape also, it really gives you the freedom to make a lot of things.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)