How signcut interprets an inline sort.....

How signcut interprets an inline sort.....

Postby pigtailpat » December 6th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Alrighty, I have a question about how signcut interprets an inline sort (i.e. cutting the innies first).

I wanted to ask, because I want to make sure I understand how signcut interprets, to save myself work. Or, if I need to do in a certain way, I will.

Example file is attached (which by the way, is my interpretation of some scroll I found somewhere on the internet, you are welcome to take the file - it isn't perfect but pretty close and it should cut really clean and it has minimal nodes).

You will see I divided this file by the innie cut and the outtie cut, with the outter cut being black and the inner cut being red. I gave it all fill, no stroke.

So, if I send the two layers to signcut simultaneously (I didn't cut - getting late so tired), and if I just select the red in the signcut menu, those inner pieces - I don't know, it doesn't look spread out like it should, but the black does.

Also, if I hide the outter black layer, and just send the red innie layer, it looks the same as if I had sent both layers together and just selected the red.

I guess what I am asking, is do I really need to take this approach at an inline sort, or does signcut automatically interpret that? I know layers of course are used to distinguish different parts of a file for multiple step images or projects. I was just wondering if a user is concerned with cutting the innies first, is thing a good thing to do, or unnecessary?

Thanks!

Pat
embellie.svg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: How signcut interprets an inline sort.....

Postby Retta » December 6th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Pat I think I understand. The inny is not cutting where it should. The top box in signcut on the right side changes where things will cut individually or right where they are located on the mat and layered. I cut the inny parts first then the outside.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gigi » December 7th, 2011, 2:12 am

Very cool file. And Retta said what I was thinking. You might have it on optimized and not whole area. Just select the red after you send it to signcut and click on the top button (optimized/whole area). You will see the difference as you toggle back and forth. When I am doing regular cutting I use the optimized as I can just sent the blade in the lower right corner of my paper and cut away. But if you have something laid out that you need to cut in a certain place, then you want whole area. (hope I said it right. I always have to click and see how it looks to be sure!!)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » December 7th, 2011, 5:29 am

OK Thanks. The way you explained it (the top button) makes sense. I will try that. The optimized sounds like it is similar to the "knifepoint" in the .mtc lingo, and the whole area is similar to "WYSIWYG" placement.

So, do I assume that you guys do this also....you will send the innies to cut first too?

Thanks!

Pat

UPDATE: Yes you people were right, toggle between the optimized and whole area button on the top worked. The innies now show up in the right place. But I still would like to know if this mechanical way of doing is better (ensuring that the inline definitely cuts first), or, is it unnecessary work..............

I'd like to use this file on my x-mas cards, I am thinking of using it pretty small, attaching two of these to either side of a middle open window, and looping thin ribbon through the open hole at top. Hope to cut these today.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » December 7th, 2011, 5:39 am

It is the best way of doing it. You control exactly what cuts and in what order. You can use a dozen different colours to control the cutting order if you want
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » December 7th, 2011, 5:47 am

Dawn thanks so much. I wanted to make sure that my prior exposure to vector cutting carries over to the inkscape-signcut way. I was instructed when I was using the gazzy that doing the inline sort mechanically, even though a software inline was available, is much better than relying on the software. So I think I will carry on with how I do the cutting and setting the innies to go first.

Pat

(PS - the file was traced and edited from a very poor raster, and everything done totally inside inkscape).
pigtailpat

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)