How to put text on a circle

How to put text on a circle

Postby Angel135612 » November 27th, 2011, 1:14 pm

I want to work on a couple of chargers today, and I have been searching for a step by step on how to get the text to go around the circle. I have seen posts where there are a few things discussed, but can't find any step by step instructions. I would like to use Inkscape, but could use MTC. When I try to type my text in Inkscape then put it around a circle, it doesn't seem to work.. using Text to Path. I got it to work once, then tried it again, and it wouldn't work the next time. I'm sure I'm missing a step somewhere, but not having a step by step, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. (A step by step tut, would be great to put in the learning center, so it can be found at a later date). If it has been discussed before please point me in the direction of the thread so I can read it.. (I tend to not pay attention to something if I'm not interested in doing it at the time, then later when I am, I can't find it again).

Thanks for any help.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: How to put text on a circle

Postby kathybessey » November 27th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Wish I could help Diane but I haven't even thought about learning Inkscape yet LOL. I did my text for the chargers in MTC and it worked so nicely! (Of course I had to redo it a couple of times due to operator error LOL)
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » November 27th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Diane -
Attaching a file that I have in my folder on how to do Text on a circle - think I probably got it from Dawn's forum ages ago. Never tried it but it seems to be pretty detailed. LMK if it helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Angel135612 » November 27th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Thanks Kathy... Even trying it in MTC, I couldn't get it to look the way I wanted... but I haven't used MTC for awhile, because I'm trying to learn Inkscape. I actually want to learn different programs, so which ever program works the best for what I want to do, I have a choice. :-) I know not one program can do EVERYTHING well... so I love having choices.

Gigi, I have downloaded the file, and will go through it. Will let you know if I can figure it out.. or if I have more questions... THANKS!!! (perhaps this file can be put in the Learning Center also)
Angel135612

Postby kathybessey » November 27th, 2011, 1:56 pm

I understand that Diane. I am learning Illustrator (oh fun LOL)
kathybessey

Postby Angel135612 » November 27th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Okay, so I figured out what I was doing wrong.. I think I forgot to make my circle a path first. But now, how do you figure out what size to make your text.. and get it to go around the circle. And make it the right size to fit on the lip of the charger?? Also, how do you get the words on the bottom to read right side up?? Can you seperate the words before putting them on the path to flip and mirror them?? Or do you do that after you get them the size you want??
Angel135612

Postby kathybessey » November 27th, 2011, 2:23 pm

As I said I don't know anything about Inkscape but I can tell you what I did with my text in MTC -

First I measured the the charger across the middle to get the total circumference and made a cirle that size, then I measured across the width of the recessed area of the charger to get the inner circumference and made a circle that size

Then I typed out my text all in one straight line with the letters all being separate items (not as a single item) and played with the sizing by putting one or two letters on the section in between the two circles. Once I had the sizing I then took the portion of the text that was to be on the bottom of the charger and turned it upside down. Then I hid the outer circle and then wrapped each part of the text to the outer edge of the inner circle and then moved it up a tad bit so that it was not sitting directly on the edge. (Make sense?) Then I showed the outer circle to see how it looked and then tweaked the placement of the text from there.
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » November 27th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Ok - just tried this. Once I made the text I measured the lip of the plate, selected the text, locked the proportion and typed in 2.0 for inches and it made it the right size. And then selecting both and clicking Text>put on path moved is to the top or around.

But I have yet to figure out how to get an "inverted" semicircle. I tried invert selection and it turns the letters the right way on the bottom but then goes to the inside of the circle.

Stuck on that last part too!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » November 27th, 2011, 2:36 pm

That makes perfect sense to me Kathy... although when I try to get my text going around the circle, it never looks good... it always seems to be a bit wonky. So I'm not sure what setting to use in MTC. I guess I just need to play around with it some more... but first I better finish up my Christmas cards.. need to stamp a sentiment on the inside and get my address labels ready to print so I can get them in the mail before Christmas.. LOL
Angel135612

Postby Tyler » November 27th, 2011, 2:43 pm

I found this on the uk forum under Inkscape tuts and then Mary's section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f6vVp4I ... ata_player
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby kathybessey » November 27th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Diane in MTC all you have to do is select your text and the hold down the control key click the right mouse button and drag it to your circle - you will see a different type of icon on your mouse pointer - when you release the mouse and control key then a new little window will pop up letting you play with the text settings a bit.
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » November 27th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Tyler wrote:I found this on the uk forum under Inkscape tuts and then Mary's section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f6vVp4I ... ata_player

Wow Tyler - that is really a good explanation of how to do it and SO much easier than how I was doing it! Thank you so much. Hope you will add that to the learning center too!! Awesome.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby iggylover » November 27th, 2011, 8:21 pm

In MTC:

You would have the top and the bottom lines as separate lines of text. For the bottom, you will want to flip it and maybe mirror it too... (make sure for both lines of text that you use the 'separate glyphs' check).

Have a circle (basic shape) the size of your plate on your MTC mat, drag a box around your mirrored and flipped text, hold down CTRL as you drag your text onto the circle and the cursor changes to an arc with a circle/triangle/square (wrap object to path cusror) and release your mouse-click.

Then you are able to play around with the spacing, etc. by using the slider bars until you are happy with where everything is... then save and cut.
iggylover

Postby SBryanW » November 28th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Here is a link to the original of the video that Tyler posted a link to. It is from the Screencasters.Heathenx.org series. This is a great series to learn about using Inkscape in general (but it is NOT specifically for designing cut files). Very good series - there are 106 episodes and cover a whole range of topics.

http://screencasters.heathenx.org/episode-014/
SBryanW

Postby SBryanW » November 28th, 2011, 11:00 pm

I also meant to add (for those of you that watched the video)... If you notice, he gets "rid of" the circles by changing the color and transparency. This works great for visual graphics - not so well for cut files. It is really easy to get rid of the under lying circles/shapes that were used to alter the text. Simply select all (circles and text) and do a Path » Object to Path (Ctrl+Shift+C). Then you can delete your circles/shapes, and your text will be a path (well, a group of paths). Also, instead of kerning the beginning of the text (this is when you are manipulating it and before you covert objects to path), simply select the circle that was used and click until you get the rotate handles. Now simply rotate the circle and the text will rotate with it. You may still need to kern the characters to get the proper look, but you won't have to "kern" the beginning of the text like he did.

Bryan
SBryanW

Postby Gigi » November 29th, 2011, 2:02 am

Thanks Bryan - great information and I did wonder about the transparency direction - that makes sense now!

Thought it basically made it very easy to understand though! And thanks for the link for the series.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)