Saving in Inkscape

Saving in Inkscape

Postby Angel135612 » November 7th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Okay, I'm have been working on another file, getting as many parts to fit on a page as I can, and using different layers for each part. (I prefer to work on my desktop, but I use my laptop for cutting) I want to save the file, then put it in my DropBox folder, so I can access it upstairs from my laptop (Saves me running up and down stairs to get my thumb drive). Any way, I just did this yesterday with a different file, and it all worked well. Today, when I save the file, it doesn't save it as an SVG file type, even though that is what I have selected. In my folder it just show a generic icon, and I can't open the file in either MTC or AI, or even back in Inkscape. I even tried saving as a Plain SVG, and still the same problem. Any ideas on what I can check to see if I managed to change a setting some where with out realizing it? Or a way to save it so I can open it in other programs??

Thanks
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Saving in Inkscape

Postby Angel135612 » November 7th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Okay, Never mind.. I think I fixed my problem. Instead of saving the file to my original folder I saved it to the desktop, and it is working fine now. I think it created too long of a path or something and it wasn't saving it correctly, but when I saved it to the desktop, it worked, and I was able to open it in my other applications just fine.
Angel135612

Postby Trisha » November 7th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Oh, good! I was beginning to wonder about something I was working on this afternoon. Whew! Close call! Lol!!
Trisha

Postby Angel135612 » November 20th, 2011, 2:22 pm

I'm having another problem now. When I create a file with many layers, I close the eye on all but one and save it. When I go to open it again,(I have tried opening and importing) all I get is the one layer that had the eye open. I can "ungroup" everything, and I see all the "lines" around the "design" but I lost the layers and I can't select anything but what was on the open layer. Do I need to save them with all the eyes open or is there a setting that I need to make sure is checked or unchecked? I hate to spend so much time getting everything sized just the way I want, and fit on my page only to have to do it all again the next time I want to use the file.
Angel135612

Postby Trisha » November 20th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Hmmm. I'm just beginning to use layers myself, Angel. I haven't had the experience you have had so far. I'm so sorry I cannot be of some help to you.

If you find out what the trouble is, I hope you will clue us in!

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby Tyler » November 20th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Sorry - usually I save things with the eyes open, so I haven't run into that yet.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby whizzy » November 20th, 2011, 4:39 pm

I use 0.47 version & save with all layers turned off, apart from a locked "preview/info" layer.
To date I haven't experienced any issues & just open & expand layers as required normally.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby Angel135612 » November 20th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Okay, I think I figured it out. I have been trying to find my files in my Dropbox account, and I can't access it through Inkscape. (It doesn't let me find the shortcut to the folder no matter where I look even though a shortcut is on my desktop, and I can see all my other shortcuts) I can right click on the file in my Dropbox folder, and open it with Inkscape through there, and all seems to be just fine. If I try to import it, then I only get the one layer where the eye is open, and nothing else shows.

Guess I'm going to have to remember to open them rather than importing them, just when I was getting used to importing everything because that seemed to work better than opening files.
Angel135612

Postby Trisha » November 20th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Ah, so those layers are tricky, huh? Since I'm still learning about that, this is a help to know. I never thought about importing with the closed eye and so on. Interesting. Thanks!

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)