Need help with making object to path

Need help with making object to path

Postby lindalou » September 23rd, 2011, 6:49 pm

I'm trying to follow the tutorial on Scrappydew. com "Object to path."

He says to draw a circle and use the letter "O" to go around the circle. Make sure the "O" is on top of the circle

Select both and do object to path. Then he says to go into Effects>Generate from Path>Pattern on Path.

My Inkscape does not have Effects but I found the Generate from Path under Extensions and then Pattern on Path.

I ticked "repeat stretched" and snake and everything went the way it was suppose to. The "O" went around the circle.

Then I was suppose to select both and go Object to Path and go Path>Union.

Mine doesn't want to weld and at the bottom it says "one of the objects is not a path cannot perform boolean operation"

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I've attached the file.

Lindalou
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lindalou

Re: Need help with making object to path

Postby Tyler » September 23rd, 2011, 8:02 pm

1 - you can make an object a path by using the shortcut ctrl + shift + c.
2 - if I recall, you can not weld items unless they are all ungrouped. Make sure your new pattern on path has not been grouped together. If they are, ungroup them and then try welding again. See if that works.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby lindalou » September 23rd, 2011, 8:09 pm

No Tyler. They were not grouped. It is stumping me why mine is not working. I know I've followed what the tutorial
has said.
lindalou

Postby Retta » September 23rd, 2011, 9:14 pm

I. Did not read all this, but ....
Are you trying to make an o next to path or line/stroke to path?
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Tyler » September 23rd, 2011, 9:19 pm

I took a look at the file - the shapes put around a circle were grouped. I ungrouped them and it welded perfectly! I attached the file. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tyler

Postby lindalou » September 24th, 2011, 6:58 am

Thanks Tyler. That sure seemed simple. I gave up on that one and tried creating my own loop to go around the
circle instead of using the letter "O" and it finally worked. They must have been grouped because it was text that
I was using but that is what the tutorial said to use. I think the tutorial was done in a different version of Inkscape
than what I was using.
lindalou

Postby Tyler » September 24th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Very easily could have been! The only reason I know that is because I've been there too!
Tyler

Postby MaryP » September 25th, 2011, 3:34 am

Hi Lindalou, it may have been easier to draw a circle and place a smaller circle in the middle, use Align and Distribute to centre the shapes and then use Path>Exclusion. In my experience it is always worth selecting both the large and the small (double) circle and use Path>Object to Path and raising the small "double" circle to the top. It is not needed every time but is worthwhile doing it anyway. As Tyler says, you cannot weld if anything is grouped anywhere in your design. I dont know SCAL but I wonder if Scrappy Dew used an O because there is/was no object to path? I know this is the case with Silhouette Studio and an "O" and Text to Path has to be used to construct a similar pattern. Using an array is another way to do it.
MaryP

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)