Auto Save in Inkscape??

Auto Save in Inkscape??

Postby Angel135612 » September 6th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Is there an auto save function in Inkscape? And if so, where is it? I had an image I was working on and my program stopped working, and lost all of my work. Of course, I wasn't saving as I went... and it isn't really a file that I needed. I was just playing around trying to learn some new things and how to use them. But I'm bummed that all the work I did on the file is now gone. And I know better than to not save my work periodically... stupid me.

Will it auto save an image that you import in as a PNG, and trace and edit nodes? Or do you need to save it as an svg after the trace, for it to start autosaving your work??

Any one that is thinking about stamping an image and bringing that in to work on. Make sure you get a CLEAN image. The one I did had a lot of little specks that needed to be deleted. I'm going to try embossing an image, and then scanning that, to see if that cuts down on some of the little specks 'inside' my design where it should have been solid.

Also, when changing views, from normal to outline, there is a Toggle CTRL + KP_5.. what is KP_5?? And are there keyboard shortcuts to change tools, say from the zoom tool to the node editing tool, or do I have to keep going to the side toolbar to do that?

I can say that working on this, is helping me to learn Inkscape a lot more. And I have a deeper appreciation of those people that can take an image and "fix" it and the time it takes.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Auto Save in Inkscape??

Postby Thyme » September 6th, 2011, 1:44 pm

There is an autosave.
Go to Inkscape preferences and then to Save.
There is an option for autosave, for the intervals, the directory and the maximum number.

It is actually pretty easy to get rid of the speckles from scanning....

Can't help with keyboard shortcuts, never use them
Thyme

Postby SBryanW » September 6th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Thyme wrote:...Can't help with keyboard shortcuts, never use them

Dawn - Except for Ctrl+L?

Diane - the function keys closely match the first few tools:
F1 - Select/Transform
F2 - Edit paths by nodes
F3 - Zoom
F4 - Rectangle
etc. If you hover over the tool, it will tell you what the short cut key is.

Bryan

Edited to add the Ctrl+KP_5 is Ctrl + the 5 on your keypad
SBryanW

Postby Angel135612 » September 6th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Thanks Bryan... When I hover my mouse over any of the tools, it just tells me what the tool is, there are no shortcuts mentioned. I clicked on the help menu, and found some lists of keyboard shortcuts... will be looking at that until I learn some of the ones I will want to use often.
Angel135612

Postby Thyme » September 7th, 2011, 3:05 am

Yes except for Control + L
and Command C and Command V for copy and paste
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » September 9th, 2011, 9:56 am

Thyme wrote:It is actually pretty easy to get rid of the speckles from scanning....

Okay, so would you like to enlighten those of us who don't know how.. the easy way to get rid of them? pretty please :D

Also, is there an easy way to get rid of small areas that aren't speckles, but just too small to have in a cut file. Other than going in and selecting each one and deleting them.
Angel135612

Postby Thyme » September 9th, 2011, 10:07 am

It depends on exactly what you have scanned, but most of the time there will be larger areas that you can select in one go and just delete.
You can do this either by using Path/Break apart and then selecting the parts you don't want, or by using the node edit tool to get the nodes showing and then select those by dragging around them - then delete again.

Also don't forget it is often easier to break apart and then go into outline view, click to select the parts you do want to keep, drag them off to one side and then just delete all the rest of the rubbish
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » September 9th, 2011, 10:15 am

Thanks Dawn.
Angel135612

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)