File question

File question

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 6:02 pm

I am trying to make a card with one of Monica's files. When I open it in Inkscape it looks fine. But when I send to SignCut it says "22 dupllicate images are found - do you want to delete them??" (or something like that!)

First question is why are there so many duplicate images - it looks like all of the portions of the file are grouped (well one wasn't but I grouped it). Still have 22 duplicate objects. So - what do I do? And what did she do that made this happen so I know how to avoid it or fix it in the future??!!??

Thank you!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Re: File question

Postby Phyllis » August 7th, 2011, 6:22 pm

I opened a file that did the same thing only it had one duplicate. It was a file with 6 butterflies on it and I could see that one was a duplicate but 22 would certainly throw me for a loop. I don't know who Monica is but maybe she could help.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 6:31 pm

She has a lot of free files online and a lot of us have downloaded them -they are very intricate and pretty.

http://www.fam-bjork.se/monicas-hobbysi ... _robo.html

There are categories of files and they are really interesting.

I changed the fill on the pieces because they were really light and now all of the colors show up when I export to Signcut - her colors and my new fill colors - have never had that happen before!

I figure someone who knows Inkscape will be able to tell me what to do. I have encountered it once before too - also with one image Phyllis - but the 22 did scare me, although I didnt get the same message after changing the colors, but it's clear there are multiple layers....or something like that!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » August 7th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Phyllis - Monica is an engineer who lives in Sweden (or Switzerland I forget), and she know CAD stuff very well. She designs in CAD so her native files are in DXF format. She and Paulo are the stars of the vector world. She freely shares her work which is amazing.

Gigi - because Monica has to convert her DXF files into .svg - that is probably where the duplication is coming from. I am not sure if inkscape can open .dxf files. I know inkscape can export to .dxf, but whether inkscape will open in .dxf is something I do not know. I'm not sure how to guide you about the duplicates.........

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Thanks Pat - that is interesting. I didn't realize her original files were in dxf.

I did get Inkscape to open the dxf, but the measurements are off and the files don't seem quite the same.

Hopefully someone will know a work around so I can get this done. It's a beautiful pattern - just afraid to change too much on my own!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » August 7th, 2011, 6:52 pm

I just tried too, and got a duplicate notification also from .dxf. In the am dawn will advise if signcut notifies about a duplicate notification, whether it is safe to delete (probably so).

Also, even if there is a size mismatch (she uses the A4 european size and we use letter size paper), try to figure out from Dawn how to adjust for our letter/12 x 12 paper, because the native .dxf files will have less nodes because that is the where the original design comes from (at least from Monica). Less nodes = better cutting.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Phyllis » August 7th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Oh Wow, I just looked at her site and downloaded one file. Her work is beautiful. The one I downloaded had an .svg, among other file formats. I will definitely be looking at all her stuff. Thanks for the link.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Thanks Pat and Phyllis.

I think I have all of her files in svg. They are amazing. Will be eager to find out the fix for them!! Thanks ladies.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Profleonie » August 7th, 2011, 7:49 pm

I know nothing about Sign cut or Inkscape but thanks for sharing this site. she has amazing files. Can't wait to try and cut one.
Profleonie

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 8:06 pm

You are welcome. It's a great site - here is another one in case you don't have Paulo's site
http://scale-files.blogspot.com/
He hasn't updated in quite a while, but his files are amazing as well!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » August 7th, 2011, 8:35 pm

She has some great files BUT I have found they don't come in right in several programs, one being MTC. Then when you do get them in you have to do a bit of work to them to get them to cut properly. Not so much her cards as her 3D stuff. They are definately gorgeous files though.
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Well it "seems" to open fine in Inkscape, except for the duplicate layers. I just sent Dawn a note so will share the answer if she doesn't post it here. I figure we can all learn together - right??!!??

Thanks Christy!

How was the program?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » August 7th, 2011, 8:43 pm

yep some of the stuff is duplicate.

The program was adorable!!!!!!! I recorded it from my camera but i"m not sure yet how well it turned it out. I'll look at it later and see if I can post it.
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 8:46 pm

So glad it went well. Little kids are so cute doing those things on stage. It doesn't matter if they make mistakes, in fact that just makes it cuter! Too bad we can't get away with that as we get older!

Hope you can post it - would love to see them!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Suzan » August 7th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Gigi when that comes up and I don't know why I click no and everything goes to signcut fine. When I click yes it does delete some stuff.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 10:20 pm

On hers, I think if I had done that it would have cut each file multiple times - there were a lot of things wrong with it - but simple fixes. As soon as I totally understand what Dawn did, I will let you know so you can do the same!! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » August 9th, 2011, 12:21 pm

I wanted to share with all of you the results of cutting one of Monica's files
http://www.fam-bjork.se/monicas-hobbysi ... _robo.html

As I mentioned earlier - it has many duplicate layers and this particular one opened in a root layer which was problem number one, and of course Dawn caught that right away. So for any of you with a similar problem with one of her files, just select all, copy, and paste into a new file. That "should" solve a lot of the problem. There was also NO stroke showing and that needed to be thickened (again thanks to Dawn!) I was so clueless (good thing Lisa is off the board or she would be ALL over that opening!)

But the good news is that it cut BEAUTIFULLY. And here is the more amazing news, at least to me. I enlarged it just a little so it would cut closer to a 5x5" card. Look at all of the tiny detail (all of those itty bitty circles). I did NOT use the detail blade - I just left my regular (blade of choice) 60 degree blade (because I am too lazy to change blades). I was pretty sure that this cut would be unsuccessful and that I would have to switch to the detail blade - but I didn't. I did have to take a pricking tool and pop some of the circles through, but just a few of them - ALL of them cut through and there were no issues. I was and am totally amazed , again, at the detail this machine can handle at a totally normal setting. I did slow down the cut (my normal speed is now 200 - finally upped it) but went way down on this because of all of the detail, but again - this incredible machine handle this detail unbelievably well - I am so in awe of what it can do - no problems - NONE!

So - do not hesitate to cut her files, even though they look incredibly intricate - and they are - your Cat can handle it!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » August 9th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Oh WOW that is GORGEOUS!!! I just LOVE her files!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » August 9th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Thanks Penny - I was just so wowed by how the machine handled this with the regular blade - :shock: :shock:
So effortless!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Thyme » August 9th, 2011, 1:15 pm

That is beautiful Gigi
Thyme

Next

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)