Parts of Inkscape image missing

Parts of Inkscape image missing

Postby Bikeracer » January 22nd, 2020, 1:51 am

When I import a PDF image into Inkscape and then export it to SCAL there is a part of the image missing.
All the rest of the image exports okay, but not one part of it.

I have then ungrouped the image in Inkscape and isolated the part that dissapears when I export it to Scal, but when I get it into Scal it's invisible.

Baffled....

Allan
Bikeracer

Cutter: !3" Silver Bullet

Re: Parts of Inkscape image missing

Postby Gigi » January 22nd, 2020, 2:28 am

Can you please upload the pdf or email it to me so I can see what you are doing? I have no problem just importing any pdf directly into SCAL so would like to see the file to understand better. It would help to see what you are seeing rather than guessing! Thanks.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Bikeracer » January 22nd, 2020, 8:03 am

Gigi,

It's when I send it to Scal from Inkscape I think, but I will check later whether it's happening if imported directly into Scal.
I think I tried that but the image was too low a resolution to work on in Scal that's why I used Inkscape.

I have managed to isolate the part that disappears and saved it as a PNG, I can import that into Scal, but again it's a very low resolution on screen to draw accurate cutting lines on.
If I save it as an SVG that doesn't work either.

I can import the PNG image into SCAL after I've drawn the cutting lines on the image imported from Inkscape because the image all prints at a decent resolution from SCAL. It's a bit of a fiddle though to fit correctly being a curve and I need to do it eight times :banghead:

It's a possibility that because I'm importing from a locked PDF that that might be where the problem is.
I can use some software to unlock the PDF to be able to open it in Photoshop and I think it could be the same for Scal not being able to open the locked PDF, but Inkscape and possibly Gimp as well have no problem opening it but I can't get into using Gimp so tend not to bother with it.
I think I imported an unlocked PDF direct into Scal, but again the screen resolution is too low for me to work with.

I'll post the solution I end up using and if the locked PDF will import directly into Scal I'll send it, but if the screen image is a low resolution for puting the cutting lines it won't work for me.

I will get a work around somehow but would like a simpler and less fiddley way of doing it. :?

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » January 22nd, 2020, 10:56 am

Allan -
Are you still working with the picture of the arches that I saw earlier? I will say, you have WAY more patience that I do. I would have been looking for another photo, picture - something to get me over this phase. But you are plugging along and I admire that. Honestly it gave me a headache cuz it is so involved and mind boggling. I am perplexed that you are putting cutting lines in Inkscape and then importing the image as a png rather than an svg. What is the point of the cutting lines then? You don't have to answer - I am just puzzled. You seem to be figuring it out for what you need so I am going to stay out of your way. I would agree that the locked PDF may be compounding your problems, but not having worked with one, I can't verify that.

All I can do is encourage and hope you get the results that you want!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » January 22nd, 2020, 5:28 pm

Gigi,

I'm importing into Inkscape first and then using the " send to Scal" extension and the image opens up in SCAL where it is a much better resolution, I'm assuming it's then a vector image because it stays crisp and clear regardless of magnification which I sometimes use as high as 700%, a PNG image is hoplessly blurred in SCAL long before that amount of magnification.

I have just been trying to put some cutting lines in using Scal and it's not a problem now using the image sent from the Inkscape extension because the image is very clear without being at all blurred.
The problem has been that in the arches image from Inkscape the edging stones that form the arch had disappeared.

I've got over it by putting the cutting lines in using SCAL and then importing just a PNG of the arches that I managed to extract using Inkscape and saving as a PNG.
As luck would have it the cutting line is only on the underside of the arch so I can get away with it, the difference in resolution doesn't really show in the print out.

The arches will be joined together using several to form a viaduct crossing perhaps a foot long or more, so I have to use that image to get what I want.

I can't wait to get tomorrows problem..... :D

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » January 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm

Yes you are right - when you send directly from Inkscape to SCAL using the plugin, then you do have a vector file. And I understand the rest, as best I can. I still say you have way more patience than I do, but you are on a mission and those things drive me too. I never want software or a machine or anything stop me from getting the end result that I want - if it's possible! So I appreciate your tenacity. Good for you.

I hope going forward that things will get easier and easier - if not for this project then the next one!

Good luck!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)