Okie Dokie...I played with the Wood Paper....

Re: Okie Dokie...I played with the Wood Paper....

Postby Angel135612 » August 6th, 2011, 11:23 pm

CAGigi wrote:Yes it is. Maybe we need to see if Tyler is interested in carrying this since he has more unusual items. (hint...hint...)

I am more than willing to order some and try it out - for the good of all of course! (oh brother - even I am not buying that one!!) :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :hide:

:ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
It is so nice of you to put yourself on the line like that... to make sure the rest of us don't buy something we wouldn't be happy with... LOL
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » August 6th, 2011, 11:35 pm

No problem Diane - I am happy to check out their wood paper and report back to all of you. It's the least I can do for everyone.

Oh brother..... it's getting pretty deep in here!! :shock:

Seriously - I think I will order their sample sheet and who knows what else!! :ROFLMBO:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » August 6th, 2011, 11:37 pm

how sweet of you to take one for the team.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby Angel135612 » August 6th, 2011, 11:40 pm

I was thinking the same thing Gigi.. order a sample... just to get an idea of what they have and what it looks like. The samples are pretty small, but it would be enough to at least test it out and see how well it cuts.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » August 6th, 2011, 11:46 pm

CaseysAngel wrote:how sweet of you to take one for the team.LOL

Totally my pleasure Christy!! :ROFLMBO:

Stay tuned for a report!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » August 6th, 2011, 11:58 pm

OK - here is some info for all of you on the different types and the things you can do (from their website):

What is Wood Paper?

There are 2 kinds of wood paper: Wood Paper and Micro Wood Paper. Currently I have Wood Paper for sale in my store. I will have the Micro Wood Paper in another week or so. What is the difference? It's how the paper is processed.

Wood Paper: A 2-3 foot section of a tree is put on a machine that spins the tree and as it goes around the machine shaves the wood into very long, very thin sheets. It is then put thru other processes such as drying, adhesive and then a paper backing is attached for stability.

Micro Wood Paper: Instead of the layers being shaved, the layers are cut straight down the length of the tree creating a more striped wood grain in the paper. This is harder to sew with, but it is much more beautiful.

What all can I do with my wood paper?

Sewing: Some varieties of paper are better to sew on than others. I personally have had better luck with the papers that have the paper backing. Cork is obviously a dream! Some split a little when the needle goes in when you are going with the wood grain however cause no issue when going against the wood grain. But experiment and find what works for you! I have not had to change any of the settings on my sewing machine to accommodate the wood paper. I put it in and go just like with regular card stock.

Stamping: Go ahead! Stamp right on it just like card stock. The smoother woods work better, but depending on your image and look you are going for you may like the broken image look too. Try it all and see!

Embossing: The wood paper embosses beautifully! And it really is a stunning look against the wood grain!

Printing: I know. It’s a crazy concept! But remember even though it’s wood…it’s paper! Put it in your printer and print a Digi Stamp right on it. Print a sentiment. Whatever your heart desires! The thinner, more flexible woods work best if your printer has a roller on the inside.

Die Cutting: I have a Big Shot and Spellbinders Nestabilities. Works like a charm! I really love the wood paper with the Scallop Nesties. It’s a pretty effect. See my Dogwood Digi card in the header above? The lighter color scallop behind the Dogwood Digi is Birds Eye Wood Paper.

Paper Punches: You can use this in your Paper Punches. Obviously it depends on the punch (some of mine are ‘temper mental’). Try it and see if it works with your punches. Again using the Dogwood Digi card in the header above, the corner pieces on that card are made with a Paper Punch.

Wood Stain: If you buy the unfinished wood or even some of the lighter woods, you can use wood stain to change the color. Just like wood!

Florist Aerosol Spray Color: There is a product out there that florists use to color their flowers with. It’s not a paint or stain. I’ve see yellow and pink used and it’s really cool. It changes the color of the wood and even enhances the wood grain.

Other craft items you can create or cover with the wood paper: Journals, lamp shades, gift boxes, use the cedar paper to line drawers or bins, envelopes, gift bags, and yes it can even be used as wallpaper! The ideas are endless!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » August 7th, 2011, 1:28 pm

tha'ts pretty interesting!!!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 2:00 pm

Happy as always to pass on the information and enable others!! LOL

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » August 8th, 2011, 12:49 pm

The wood paper I bought a year or so ago I paid like $3.50 a sheet for it.......However this past Friday I had to go to Joann's and Michael's to get some special colored paper I had to have to make a special order request I had received...Well I can't just go in and get what I need....that would be a crime...so I always do a walk through and go through the Clearance isle...Well Michael's had what they had left of the wood paper on clearance.......so I bought a couple of sheets of the 8 1/2x11 wood sheets for like $2.50 a sheet...I thought it was very interesting because some of it was more pliable then others.....I could see some of it going through the printer....but not the others......The one I used for the card I shared definately would not be able to go through the printer...it was just way too dense and not pliable at all.......I think I would like the more pliable better...I think it would probably be less brittle....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Suzan » August 8th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Is there really just going into Michaels for what you need. I don't think so. I need to go check the clearance aisle.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » August 8th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Thanks for the inspriration, Penny! I love your blog! Thanks for keeping us updated here, too! I would hate to miss anything.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » August 8th, 2011, 4:52 pm

I don't think it is possible to go into Michael's or JoAnns and stick to a list. I have tried so many times - but no luck. So I just take a list to be sure I don't forget what I am really there for as I am easily distracted!! :shock:

I did notice on the site I posted that they say some of their wood papers go through the printer just fine and others are too brittle (mainly the micro thin ones). I really am going to order some of their samples and a few sheets to try and will report back!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » August 8th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Thanks for the inspriration, Penny! I love your blog! Thanks for keeping us updated here, too! I would hate to miss anything.

Oh how sweet you are Elizabeth!!! Thank you so much ma'am!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Previous

Return to Masterpieces