Night Lights

Night Lights

Postby kathybessey » July 31st, 2011, 7:10 pm

I spent part of the day today making two nightlights, one for my 4 year old son, Aiden and one for my 1 1/2 year old great niece, Jeanne. Now Jeanne's still needs a ribbon around it and it's not the greatest picture but it sure turned out cute. Aiden's still needs a ribbon or something around the sides and his is two sided. Here is the AMAZING part - I needed a lady bug for Jeanne's light because her mommy and daddy call her Buggy and her room is decked out in lady bugs.I couldn't find one that I liked to save my life. So I ventured to try my hand at making one and if I do say so myself it turned out pretty darn good. I have the file available for free on my blog if you would like it (both in MTC and SVG)
aiden nightlight1.jpg
aiden nightlight2.jpg
buggy nightlight.jpg

Thanks for looking! And Retta and Diane thanks for the chat while I was working on these!

Edited to add these are 6" blocks (so about 5 1/2" for an area to work on). The glass is alcohol inked with several colors LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kathybessey

Re: Night Lights

Postby sisson101 » July 31st, 2011, 7:15 pm

These are too cute!!!! Do you put xmas lights in them? I might have to try my hand at these. Thanks for the great idea, Love your ladybugs also. You did a wonderful job. :)
sisson101

Postby kathybessey » July 31st, 2011, 7:29 pm

Thanks sisson! I used to put a small strand (25 or 50 depending on size of the block) of Xmas lights - either colored or clear but have now switched to the single bulb as the cords typically have an on/off switch on them where the other strings of lights do not. I also fill in the glass block with some natural accents material (it's kind of like icicles). When I first started doing blocks I used armor etch and etched everything out but a design or etched it all and then put vinyl on top but I love how you can really play with colors with alcohol inks.
kathybessey

Postby Phyllis » July 31st, 2011, 7:33 pm

So cute. Another thing that I've not tried. Didn't think about alcohol ink on them, all the ones I've seen were just clear but that really makes them pop.
Phyllis

Postby kathybessey » July 31st, 2011, 7:36 pm

Thanks Phyllis!

BTW - the lady bugs on that block are less than an inch wide and just a touch of an inch long. The car and helicopter are bigger but some of the pieces were sooooooo tiny! Have I said lately how I love my Clawdine? Amazing machine!
kathybessey

Postby CeCeCreates » July 31st, 2011, 7:38 pm

Beautiful work Kathy. Yet another item on my to do/to try list!
CeCeCreates

Cutter: Black Cat 13 inch

Postby Angel135612 » July 31st, 2011, 7:43 pm

Those look awesome Kathy... You did a fantastic job on them. I love the alcohol inks on them.

It was fun chatting with you while I worked on my project also... not always easy to type and do other things.. but we all knew we were busy, and couldn't always type an answer right away.

I got three of my Altoids tins covered, but I need to find something else to jazz them up a bit... haven't decided what I want to do yet.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kathybessey » July 31st, 2011, 8:04 pm

Thanks Diane! I can't wait to see one of your tins all completed!
kathybessey

Postby Suzan » July 31st, 2011, 8:40 pm

Totally awesome and cool. and next time you all chat let me know would love to join.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby kathybessey » July 31st, 2011, 9:01 pm

Aww shucks Suzan thanks! Most definately I will holler at you. I just typically click on the group in Skype and say "Is anyone there?" LOL
kathybessey

Postby MeFlick » July 31st, 2011, 9:04 pm

Those look great Kathy! Love your lady bugs! You did a great job with those! TFS I think this is first time I saw these done with alcohol inks! Love that idea too!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby kathybessey » July 31st, 2011, 9:13 pm

Thanks MeFlick - I saw this by chance in Craft Warehouse several months ago and LOVED it. I haven't done any etching since LOL
kathybessey

Postby rachellann » July 31st, 2011, 9:19 pm

very nice Kathy
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » July 31st, 2011, 10:25 pm

kathybessey wrote:Aww shucks Suzan thanks! Most definately I will holler at you. I just typically click on the group in Skype and say "Is anyone there?" LOL

That is what I do also... if I'm going to be at either one of my computers, I will open Skype and see if any one is around to chat... usually I chat to myself.. which isn't any fun.. but now and again someone else is online and will chat for a bit. I don't usually use a headset, becuase I only have 2 USB ports on my laptop, and I use one for my cutter and one for my mouse. I tried a hub, and all the lights come on, but my mouse wouldn't move.. and I didn't want to even try plugging my cougar into it and it not work... so I just type when my hands aren't doing something else.
Angel135612

Postby Retta » July 31st, 2011, 10:28 pm

Kathy looking great!!!!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby kathybessey » July 31st, 2011, 11:15 pm

Thanks Rachell and Retta!
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » July 31st, 2011, 11:38 pm

Kathy -

Those are adorable. Not sure I understand how you did the light part - but it's adorable and I LOVE the lady bug that you made - too cute!!

I was chuckling as I read this because I was wandering around Michaels yesterday and they not only had their Halloween stuff out, but had a lot of Christmas out as well -yikes! They had all sorts of glass blocks (I think they had openings - just glanced) and I immediately thought about etching them. I want to find glass ornaments and etch them for little gifts for neighbors or whatever. I saw some round glass ornaments, but would think those would be too fragile to etch with an air eraser, but could use the cream.

Ugh - have to get this wedding behind me before I think about Christmas! I love the creativity that all of you share - it really opens up ideas for all of us. Thanks for sharing -
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Angel135612 » July 31st, 2011, 11:58 pm

CAGigi wrote:I want to find glass ornaments and etch them for little gifts for neighbors or whatever. I saw some round glass ornaments, but would think those would be too fragile to etch with an air eraser, but could use the cream.

Ugh - have to get this wedding behind me before I think about Christmas! I love the creativity that all of you share - it really opens up ideas for all of us. Thanks for sharing -

Gigi, I purchased a lot of round glass ornaments last year right after Christmas. What I'm going to do with them is cover the inside with glitter (an idea I got from others on the MTC forum) and then cut out some vinyl and put that on them. I think the vinyl would work better than trying to etch them. And I do think they sell some vinyl or contact paper that has a frosted look, so if you really wanted the "etched" look, you could try that.

If you want to know about how to do the glitter on the inside, I will search for the information... or you can search on YouTube.. I know there were some videos about it last year.
Angel135612

Postby Thyme » August 1st, 2011, 12:44 am

they look great Kathy
Thyme

Postby Gigi » August 1st, 2011, 1:02 am

Thanks Diane - I have all sorts of directions on the glitter - I think a lot of the variations were using MopnGlo to coat the ornament?? I never did it but read about it. They even have something now at Michaels that you use when you glitter - cant' remember what it is called - just glanced at it. Not sure I want all the mess of glitter but will figure something out. Was actually thinking of the flat glass ornaments in different shapes - thought etching those might be pretty?? Will see.....

Thanks for the offer! Always open to new ideas!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Next

Return to Masterpieces