Night Lights

Re: Night Lights

Postby otrbanks » August 1st, 2011, 5:22 am

I make tons of the glittered ornaments and you can use the Blue top Mop and Glow (only the one with the blue top works) or hair spray (the kind in a pump top not aerosol) you can get the hair spray and the Dollar store (Dollar Tree etc) using the hair spray is cheaper than using the Floor wax stuff. (I use the floor wax stuff because I bought it and it lasts forever but when it runs out I am going to the hair spray) The other tip I will give you is to buy (with a coupon) some of the martha Stewart tinsel glitter to add to the regular glitter (I also use MS glitter as the regular glitter so the colors match) the effect is stunning!! I made these and then vinyl on them, a monogram or a name and the date for baby's 1st Christmas or our 1st Christmas together etc. but to do the name etc you need the larger balls. These are fun to make.
Tammy Jennings
http://tammyjennings.blogspot.com
18" Cougar "Kitty" is here!!!
otrbanks

Cutter: 24" SB & 18" BC

Postby otrbanks » August 1st, 2011, 5:23 am

I forgot to ask, what did you put inside of the block? I love these and since I have two glass blocks in the craft room just sitting there, I might make one for my 2 year old! Thanks
Tammy Jennings
http://tammyjennings.blogspot.com
18" Cougar "Kitty" is here!!!
otrbanks

Cutter: 24" SB & 18" BC

Postby kathybessey » August 1st, 2011, 7:35 am

Thanks ladies!

Gigi another idea is the craft paints inside ornaments - Pour a couple of different colors of paint into an ornament and swirl it around until the ornament is covered then turn upside down onto a paper cup to let the excess paint drain out. They come out with a marbled look to them and are fabulous!

Tammy - I used this stuff I picked up at Craft Warehouse called Natural Accents - it is sparkly strands of stuff LOL - it reminds me of a cross between Easter grass and Christmas tree tinsel. It gives a nice shimmery affect to the block when lit. You can use so many different things though - colored foil wrapping paper is another item I use.
kathybessey

Postby PennyDuncan » August 1st, 2011, 12:11 pm

kathybessey wrote:I spent part of the day today making two nightlights, one for my 4 year old son, Aiden and one for my 1 1/2 year old great niece, Jeanne. Now Jeanne's still needs a ribbon around it and it's not the greatest picture but it sure turned out cute. Aiden's still needs a ribbon or something around the sides and his is two sided. Here is the AMAZING part - I needed a lady bug for Jeanne's light because her mommy and daddy call her Buggy and her room is decked out in lady bugs.I couldn't find one that I liked to save my life. So I ventured to try my hand at making one and if I do say so myself it turned out pretty darn good. I have the file available for free on my blog if you would like it (both in MTC and SVG)nightlight.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for looking! And Retta and Diane thanks for the chat while I was working on these!

Edited to add these are 6" blocks (so about 5 1/2" for an area to work on). The glass is alcohol inked with several colors LOL

These are SO cute!!! They are going to LOVE them!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » August 1st, 2011, 4:13 pm

kathybessey wrote:Thanks ladies!

Gigi another idea is the craft paints inside ornaments - Pour a couple of different colors of paint into an ornament and swirl it around until the ornament is covered then turn upside down onto a paper cup to let the excess paint drain out. They come out with a marbled look to them and are fabulous!

Tammy - I used this stuff I picked up at Craft Warehouse called Natural Accents - it is sparkly strands of stuff LOL - it reminds me of a cross between Easter grass and Christmas tree tinsel. It gives a nice shimmery affect to the block when lit. You can use so many different things though - colored foil wrapping paper is another item I use.

Kathy - did the colored paint YEARS ago - and they were fun but messy!! LOL

Want to do something different this year - just not sure what!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Quicklabs » August 1st, 2011, 5:20 pm

Love those nightlights. I'd love to try my hand at them sometime, but not sure that I'm up to the task. Looks very complicated for simple minds like mine. Your ladybug is very cute. I'm sure the recipients will love those!
Wag more; bark less
Quicklabs

Postby kathybessey » August 1st, 2011, 7:23 pm

LOL But Gigi is making a mess part of the fun?? My adult kids still cherish their painted ones and always ask me to make more in certain color themes. When you come up with something new let us know, we might want to try too LOL

Quicklabs - the glass blocks are really quite easy. You can either etch a design on them, etch the whole front for a frosted look or do the alcohol inks - the alcohol inks are really simple to do. Then it is a matter of putting a vinyl design on it, putting the "stuffing" (LOL didn't know what else to call it) and a light. I think the most time spent on it was figuring out what to put on them after they were colored LOL

Penny - thank you my dear!
kathybessey

Postby Angel135612 » August 1st, 2011, 11:04 pm

You could use the alcohol inks in the ornaments as well. I haven't tried (or heard) of using paint, but that would give it a different look. I bought the MS glitter in the 24 pack, and it does go a long way. I may have to get some of the MS tinsil glitter to try that also. Need to put that on my list of things to buy when I have coupon... LOL
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Previous

Return to Masterpieces