The roses I have been working on

The roses I have been working on

Postby Angel135612 » July 21st, 2011, 4:37 pm

Okay, I now have 8 roses made... it only took me 2 days to make them. Cutting them out was the easy part. :ROFLMBO:
I used 3 colors of stamp pads on them, starting with yellow, then a pinkish color, then a red color on the edges.. got a nice looking orangeish color rose. I think I need to find different shades of green for the leaves, not real happy with those, but over all, I think they turned out really well. The more I made, the easier they got. LOL

The vase is one we bought a few years ago at the glass blowers at the Ren Fest... and I just never got around to putting anything in it.. but it was too pretty to leave there. :-)

I still need to get some sort of floral foam, to put in the vase, so the roses will stay put, and I want to get some ferns or babys breath to add to it. But I wanted to get a picture of them posted, because I thought they turned out so well. I may make a few more roses for the vase, but wanted to wait until I got the foam and ferns to see how many more I would need to make a nice arrangement.

I used some tiny gold beads for the stamen, because I had those on hand, instead of what Penny uses. (Styrofoam shaved and colored like the flower soft stuff). I may have to buy some styrofoam and try that out one of these days.. but didn't want to run to the store to get it for these. I also think I may use a little bit thicker wire the next time I make some.. this wire seems way to thin.. but I can add a little more to the base and just wrap it with floral tape if I need a bit more stability.

My Roses Vase.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: The roses I have been working on

Postby shirltop » July 21st, 2011, 4:48 pm

Beautiful Diane!
"The time has come for us to stand a little taller." Gordon B. Hinckley
shirltop

Cutter: Black Cat Lynx

Postby kathybessey » July 21st, 2011, 4:55 pm

Oh my goodness those are beautiful! I am so scared to try to do these kinds of things. I never know how to do the inking lol.
kathybessey

Postby Angel135612 » July 21st, 2011, 5:09 pm

Thanks Shirl and Kathy!!

Kathy, Just remember that flowers are not all the same, so they don't have to be colored evenly... there can be some light spots or darker spots... it's nature!!! The best thing to do, is just DO IT... the very first roses I made from Pennys files, were small, and didn't have a stem. I wasn't sure what I was doing, but they still turned out nice. Do some "testing", just make small ones, play around with how to color them, until you are happy with the results you are getting. If you are making them small, you won't feel like you are wasting paper if they don't turn out as well as you would like. And even if you don't like how you colored them, put them together anyway, that will give you practice on gluing them. I know I wasn't too pleased with my very first roses, but at the same time, for a first attempt, they turned out rather well... and each of these that I made, turned out better than the one before. I just need to get faster at making them... 2 days for 8 roses is a long time.. now granted, I didn't spend ALL day on them, and it probably was only 5 or 6 hours total, but again, I know what I'm doing now, so I should be able to go faster when I need to make more.

I did increase the size of the file, and was able to cut out 2 complete files from one sheet of 9 x 12 watercolor paper. Penny says she just uses the Georgia Pacific paper now, but I had the watercolor paper, so figured I would use that.
Angel135612

Postby Phyllis » July 21st, 2011, 6:46 pm

Diane, those are beautiful, gorgeous, fantastic. I need to try those sometime.
Phyllis

Postby YorkieMom » July 21st, 2011, 6:48 pm

Wow!! Those are gorgeous Diane!! Great job!!!!
Susan
~The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears~
YorkieMom

Postby corwins » July 21st, 2011, 8:08 pm

Very Pretty Diane
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt by the heart. Helen Keller

http://www.mycardspot.blogspot.com
corwins

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 13"

Postby PennyDuncan » July 21st, 2011, 8:54 pm

Oh Diane...your roses are GORGEOUS!!!!! They look real for sure girl!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby JeannetteC » July 21st, 2011, 10:11 pm

Wow! They turned out gorgeous Diane!
JeannetteC

Postby Gigi » July 21st, 2011, 10:41 pm

Those are beautiful Diane. I am terrified of those roses too - I tried one - once - and could not get mine to look right. Will have to keep practicing - like anything. They look so real.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Angel135612 » July 21st, 2011, 11:37 pm

Thank you Phyllis, Susan, Sheri, Penny, Jeannette and Gigi.

Gigi, you really do need to make more than one. The first one of ANYTHING never turns out, and you do need to just keep practicing. And there is nothing to be afraid of... Pennys files are so easy to cut, and watching her tutorials, while you are putting them together, she makes it so easy to follow. And like I said, the more you do the easier it gets. It still takes me awhile to put them together, but they are getting easier each time I make them.

Penny, I do have a question about them. When I resized them to make them larger, the part with the larger hole seems to be too large to glue to the sections that come before. Is there a reason that one of the petal parts has a bigger hole than the other one? Would it make much of a difference if both those were the same size hole? I'm assuming that since you made one with a bigger hole there was a reason behind it. But if I make that hole smaller, I don't want to make it too small if there is a reason for it being larger.
I also got the polymer clay tools you use, and that makes it so much easier to give that bit of definition to the petals. (got them at JoAnns with a 40% off coupon) it really amazes me sometimes how having the right tools makes the job so much easier.
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » July 22nd, 2011, 12:02 am

I know Diane - Penny just makes it look so easy and I want what I do to look like hers - talk about unrealistic!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

I will practice - not giving up. It's on my LONG list of things to do.......I love her flowers - oh heck - I love everything she does!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » July 22nd, 2011, 2:57 am

Diane, those are amazing!
Thyme

Postby anne anthoney » July 22nd, 2011, 5:12 am

These are absolutely beautiful
Anne
anne anthoney

Postby rachellann » July 22nd, 2011, 1:31 pm

Angel love the roses
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Retta » July 22nd, 2011, 8:13 pm

Diane, they look awesome! I use to have some real roses that color. I just had a hard time keeping that particular rose bush alive! now I can make some.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby PennyDuncan » July 22nd, 2011, 8:28 pm

Angel135612 wrote:Thank you Phyllis, Susan, Sheri, Penny, Jeannette and Gigi.

Gigi, you really do need to make more than one. The first one of ANYTHING never turns out, and you do need to just keep practicing. And there is nothing to be afraid of... Pennys files are so easy to cut, and watching her tutorials, while you are putting them together, she makes it so easy to follow. And like I said, the more you do the easier it gets. It still takes me awhile to put them together, but they are getting easier each time I make them.

Penny, I do have a question about them. When I resized them to make them larger, the part with the larger hole seems to be too large to glue to the sections that come before. Is there a reason that one of the petal parts has a bigger hole than the other one? Would it make much of a difference if both those were the same size hole? I'm assuming that since you made one with a bigger hole there was a reason behind it. But if I make that hole smaller, I don't want to make it too small if there is a reason for it being larger.
I also got the polymer clay tools you use, and that makes it so much easier to give that bit of definition to the petals. (got them at JoAnns with a 40% off coupon) it really amazes me sometimes how having the right tools makes the job so much easier.

Hey Diane...the reason I made one of the wholes bigger is so that when you glue the "middle" bud you'll be "seating" it into that layer then the smaller holed one goes below that then the solid one on the bottom......so the flower base will be fairly flat...does that make sense???????
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » July 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm

Yes, that makes sense and that is what I thought. It just seems like the hole is too big when increasing the size of the petals. I may play around with it, and reduce the hole a tad bit when I get ready to make more of this same size.

I couldn't find any babys breath to put in with the roses, or any rose leaves, but I did find some ferns that look pretty good with it. Will take another picture in the morning with the greenery, as it does make a huge difference in how they look.
Angel135612

Postby kathybessey » July 22nd, 2011, 10:38 pm

Cannot wait to see the update to these with the greenery Diane!
kathybessey

Postby Gramof8 » July 22nd, 2011, 10:51 pm

Beautiful Diane!
Gramof8

Next

Return to Masterpieces