I LOVE my new toy!!!!

Re: I LOVE my new toy!!!!

Postby Angel135612 » July 21st, 2011, 10:44 am

LOL Gigi, you are going to haunt the aisles there now looking for anything that can be used for crafting. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

I know right where one is here, and it isn't that far, just a PIA to get to, so I haven't been in there yet... but I'm sure I will be going soon....I really would like to etch somethings that the cream won't work on, and don't want to put vinyl on.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 21st, 2011, 10:50 am

Its kind of a scary thought, especially for them!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby LisaH » July 21st, 2011, 2:48 pm

CAGigi wrote:Well you never know what you will learn on here. I had never heard of Harbor Freight (NEVER!) until Penny mentioned it last week. So I was looking online and the air eraser piece of this whole conversation is not available online - only at the store. So knowing (because I am so aware of my surrroundings!) that there was no Harbor Freight nearby since I had never heard of it, I did a store search. Yep - you guessed it. There is one SEVEN miles from my house!!

Man am I in trouble now............ as are they!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

Oh, Gigi...you are in for some fun!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » July 21st, 2011, 4:09 pm

Yeah it scares me - good thing my budget has been reduced thanks to the Foil Master and the foil!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

Off to meetings- hope to play a little more over the weekend - and will report back on my Harbor Freight excursion!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Sharon » July 21st, 2011, 8:27 pm

Can you use the aluminum oxide over again.......if you collect it in something?
Sharon

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Postby PennyDuncan » July 21st, 2011, 8:41 pm

Sharon wrote:Can you use the aluminum oxide over again.......if you collect it in something?

Yes you can!!!! That's what I'm doing as well!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » July 21st, 2011, 10:43 pm

Oh that is good to know!! Yippee!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby terrib100 » July 22nd, 2011, 7:00 am

Hello to everyone,
I'm new here - looking to learn about the Black Cat cutters. I recently purchased a Silhouette and discovered very soon afterward that I wanted something bigger and better! So I'm doing more research this time. I've come to learn that I'm a tool junkie so I've really enjoyed this thread. Harbor Freight rocks. We have one here in Tampa but I spend so much time at the craft stores I didn't even think of HF as a resource, until now :) I'm very fascinated with glass etching and like was mentioned earlier, I did a few items with Armour Etch, thought it was really cool but haven't picked it up again. But NOW I want to learn more about etching with the air eraser. Hubby has a beast of an air compressor and he just told me that he has an unopened airbrush kit. (I'm not the only tool junkie in this home). So I was wondering if you lovely ladies could point me in the direction of some good tutorials or information in general on etching with this very cool sounding Air Eraser? Thank you - and I look forward to reading more of your very informative and entertaining posts :)
terrib100

Postby Thyme » July 22nd, 2011, 9:48 am

Hello, and welcome!!
I can't help with the tutorials, but I am sure some of the others will be able to point you in the right direction.
All I do is stick a vinyl template on what I want to etch, fill the little pot with the grit and then blast it - not very technical I'm afraid!
Thyme

Postby PennyDuncan » July 22nd, 2011, 9:50 am

Hey Terri.......Welcome first!!!! It is SO easy to use the air eraser....you just need to be sure to get some aluminmum oxide or silica to put into the cylinder to begin using the eraser........cut your design out in vinyl and apply the vinyl to your project and begin to use it...there are tons of videos on YouTube that I think you'll find VERY helpful!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby terrib100 » July 22nd, 2011, 10:54 am

Thanks for the welcome! I found this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mNih650NII&feature=related It was pretty helpful. Now I'll get hubby and we'll head down to HF!

I'll have Black Cat questions soon...I got sidetracked, as usual. I should make my screen name "sidetracked"

Terri
terrib100

Postby Gigi » July 22nd, 2011, 3:10 pm

LOL Terri - but I think we would all have to be called "Sidetracked"!! :ROFLMBO: You are in good company!

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find it as informative and fun as we all do!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » July 22nd, 2011, 3:24 pm

Glad you are here Terri! Sidetracked...hhmmm...yep that would be most of us on here LOL...

Dawn, I think your technical explanation is absolutely fantastic!! I completely understand those instructions!!!!
LisaH

Postby PennyDuncan » July 22nd, 2011, 3:34 pm

Hey Everyone....I thought I would go ahead and share something else I figured out while trying to erase a large design on an 8x10 piece of glass yesterday....As you watch the tutorials you'll notice they'll mention moisture several times....when used for extended periods of time...Well it's VERY true.......so I had to get a dryer piece for my guns......the one I just got at Harbor Freight is the:
CentralPneumatic inline desiccant dryer/filter Item #68215.....it was like $6.99...HOWEVER....I will share with you a lesson learned...the connector ends for this are a lot larger then the hose for the compressor so you're going to need some reducers......I went to Lowes and found the following pieces that work PERFECTLY......

Watts A-734 Pipe Reducing Coupling
Watts A-740 Brass Pipe Nipple

These you can find in the plumbing section......brought them home hooked them up tried my air eraser and I'm back in business with NO moisture!!!!! You'll want to use the dryer also with your air gun cause the same thing will happen with it also....
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » July 22nd, 2011, 3:45 pm

Good grief!! Aren't you the clever one??!!?? (like we didn't already know that!)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Retta » July 22nd, 2011, 8:05 pm

I wondered about that. You have to have air dryers on hoses on big buses too! Glad you got it all work out.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby kim » July 23rd, 2011, 12:38 pm

Well, I got home from Huntsville late last night and I'm still putting stuff up. I will have to go thru the forum later and see what all has been going on. BUT, I feel like I went to Vegas and hit the JACKPOT. I went to a JoAnn's (don't have one near me) and they had a ton of DCWV Paper packs on sale 50% off with all the little mat packs. I picked up a ton. Several other little odds and ends that I haven't been able to find around here. And I went to the Harbor Freight and got the compressor, air eraser (smaller than DH's sand blaster) and an airbrush tool. I'll have to go to Lowes and get the stuff Penny was talking about. HF only had one container of the aluminum oxide and it was hidden....thank goodness I found it. The sales person said they were out. Oh, and on the way to Huntsville, DH had to stop and do a teleconference and dropped me off at a HL in Cullman, AL. They had the COPIC airbrush on clearance. Plus other stuff that I picked up. The longer DH took, the more stuff I put in my buggy. LOL...he said he was trying to hurry knowing that the longer he took, the more I would spend!

Terri, WELCOME...you are going to love this forum. I have the SIL, but I only bought it to travel with. The Cougar is my BABY and will do everything. All this other "stuff" are the tools we use and have fun with, but it is the COUGAR that is the enabler! :ROFLMBO: I have found so many things/projects to do since I've gotten my Cougar and I am having a great time with it. Funny thing is that DH is starting to get into some of it to. He's the one that helped me pick everything out at Harbor Freight!

Well, I've still got to wash clothes and put things up. I'll have to rest and then start prowling the forum to check what everyone has been up to while I've been gone. The hotel had wireless, but it was so slow that I didn't get on it much.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby PennyDuncan » July 23rd, 2011, 3:31 pm

Welcome home Kim....Girl you had some serious FUN didn't you!!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » July 23rd, 2011, 5:33 pm

LOL Kim - a woman after my own heart!!!

I made a trip to HF today too - wasnt going to - had just about talked myself out of it - but got what you did as well (and the last aluminum oxide there too!) - and then went to Lowe's and they were out of the one piece so I had to get three pieces to make it work - but hopefully it will!! Had to get someone to help me as couplings and fittings etc. are another language for me!

I am eager to try a lot of new things, but want to finish a few more challenges first - if I can!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » July 23rd, 2011, 8:42 pm

You know you are in serious trouble when you go on vacation and DH and DS are TRYING to drop you off at the MALL and I kept saying "I don't want to go to the mall, I want to go to Harbor Freight!!". Finally, DH told DS "we might as well take her there or we will never hear the end of it.". HEHE. And while on the road he knew he was going to have to keep me busy for at least an hour, so he finds the Hobby Lobby. The JoAnn's was another trip to the "mall" that got side-tracked. What in the world would I buy at the mall???

My only disappointment was when I got home, my foil is still not here. Maybe Monday. But I did get my paper order in....which one is the presentation paper that Best Buy had for half price. The other, if anyone likes the high gloss paper that is the heavier weight like cardstock, Marco Papers has the best price I have seen. I had a pack from way back when DS was real little and I love the stuff for the PnC. I bought it at Michaels and they no longer carry it. When I searched the internet, I couldn't find the company. Ranger has some but it's expensive and you only get 10 sheets. I found some at Marco Papers and it's called Kromekote Glass Cover (12 pt) and is in packages of 250 sheets for $58.50. Shipping was reasonable. I bought two packs (I want to use one pack for some business covers....along with my Foil Master) and the shipping was $5.95.

Well, after browsing around a little (still browsing), looks like everyone has been very busy!! I'm still trying to get caught up. I was a nice wife and helped DH with some projects around the house, which meant no playing for me. And we just got a phone call that MIL is in the hospital (must not be too serious since she's been in since Thursday and they just called us about an hour ago) and we will be taking a little trip to see her. She lives near Natchitoches (the town where Steel Magnolias was filmed). That is such a neat little town and I love the main street along the river. You all would LOVE LOVE LOVE the stores along the riverfront. And the food....well, you could gain 20 pounds just smelling it. But as I said, we will be visiting her, but I don't think that it is anything to worry over or they would have called us and everyone else in the family a lot sooner. But prayers are never remiss!!

Well, I am going back to browsing around. I think I will download the new upgrade to MTC later this week and play around with it. I have been waiting forever for the new trace ability, but first things first. I have to get things set up for my new toys.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

PreviousNext

Return to Masterpieces