Birthday card for movie loving friend

Birthday card for movie loving friend

Postby crichtonguy » March 20th, 2017, 12:27 am

Hey All, hope everyone is well. I have a friend who has a 48th birthday coming up and made this for him as he really enjoys action films. I couldn't believe the detail on the gentleman. He is only 1 3/4" x 3/4" and I could see it had cut out his thumbs almost perfectly!

This may seem like a newb question and I haven't tried it yet. But as you can see my placement is a bit off in some places. After cutting can you use transfer tape to keep the placement or is it too tacky and will rip the card stock? The digital file I created is spaced perfectly but my hands shake a bit too much to eyeball it when assembling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“If I am only happy for myself, many fewer chances for happiness. If I am happy when good things happen to other people, billions more chances to be happy!â€
– Dalai Lama XIV
crichtonguy

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Re: Birthday card for movie loving friend

Postby Gigi » March 20th, 2017, 1:51 am

Wow - what an awesome card. I love it! Your friend is going to be so impressed!!

As far as transfer tape, I have tried that before by accident and it did stick to the card stock. You might try the low tack masking tape (painters tape_ or the EZ release tape at art stores or craft stores.

Another thing you could do is take the card stock that you are going to cut the design from and back it with double sided adhesive. Leave the backing on and put it on your mat. Cut out your design, remove it from the mat and then peel the backing sheet off with the pieces intact. You could run the low tack tape over the front so the pieces don't move and then you will have them ready to adhere with the adhesive so there will be less chance of movement. Hope that made sense. It's late and my brain is fuzzy!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby mmhockeyfan » March 20th, 2017, 6:35 am

Great card!! I've heard one may use Glad Press N Seal. I tried it and got good results.
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby crichtonguy » March 20th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Thank you Gigi and mmhockeyfan as usual! Wonderful tips!
“If I am only happy for myself, many fewer chances for happiness. If I am happy when good things happen to other people, billions more chances to be happy!â€
– Dalai Lama XIV
crichtonguy

Postby Gigi » March 20th, 2017, 11:08 pm

You are welcome. The other thing you could do which I have done successfully, is make a box around your design so when you cut the pieces out, what remains will be a negative stencil. I hope I am saying this so it makes sense. Then place that on the card base and take your pieces for the card and place them within the scrap stencil - your placement will be perfect.

Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » March 22nd, 2017, 7:17 am

try "duck" wall repair fabric tape. You can use it like a transfer tape.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby crichtonguy » March 23rd, 2017, 3:29 pm

Thank you Gigi. I totally saved the scrap leftover. Total face palm moment! LOL.

Pat, I will also give that a try. Thank you! The dexterity in my hands isn't what it used to be.
– Dalai Lama XIV
crichtonguy

Postby Gigi » March 23rd, 2017, 5:12 pm

LOL - you are welcome!!! Honestly that negative stencil pattern has "saved" me many a time! Don't know why I didn't think of it immediately!!!

Now you have a lot of helpful options! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Masterpieces