Cautiously Optimistic

Cautiously Optimistic

Postby AP3 » September 26th, 2016, 11:06 am

So I spent the weekend getting intimate with my new 24" SB. I actually went all day Saturday without cutting a thing, just making sure all the software and connections were working right, and finding hidden nuggets of knowledge sprinkled all over the place online.

Finally did calibration and some test cuts Sunday morning, noted settings, then went ahead and imported an svg to try a print/cut of my box design. There was nothing printed, but I wanted to test the process. I reduced my cut template to 1/8 size (to save material) and measured and hand marked on the cardstock the rectangle to use as reg marks for the laser. I wasn't going for perfection, more for proof of process.

All I have to say is wow. Beginners luck! It cut a perfect, clean mini-me of my actual design. This is very encouraging. The next step is to setup the machine for scoring. Once I have this down, I will test score and cut a few proofs and make any adjustments necessary. I'll be sure to share some of my work and settings used for feedback (especially the settings) soon.

Thanks!
AP3

Cutter: 24" SB

Re: Cautiously Optimistic

Postby Gigi » September 26th, 2016, 11:32 am

Glad you are taking it slow and getting to know your machine. That is key to success.

Just remember when adding scoring lines (you can dash them and use the regular blade or you can score it - whatever your preference) - be sure to cut WYSIWYG so the lines stay where you want them, and put the score lines on a separate layer so you can score first and then cut. That seems to work much easier as your material is secure.

The accuracy of the calibration and registration marks never ceases to amaze me. Am confident your tests will prove to be successful. Keep up the good work.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Masterpieces