Craft Foam Masks

Craft Foam Masks

Postby coolhand » February 13th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd share this with you all. I was able to test a few cuts today on some 2mm craft foam. I used an Extra sticky mat to hold the foam down, a 60 degree plus long blade, velocity set to 125, force set to 30.

The cuts came out very smooth! These are just a few tests I'm doing in preparation for an up coming event I'm participating in, it's a kid's costume building workshop at a comic convention(Pop!Con) in Evansville, IN that's taking place on April 15-16.

IMG_20160213_185049.jpg

I sent the first mask to the cutter, then I used the repeat function to cut the other two masks! If everything goes as planned I'll be able to let the kids pick their own masks and color and we'll cut them on the spot for them.

One side note, if you plan on cutting foam, I had picked up a few "cheap" blades that were billed as 60 degree long. Those did not cut the foam at all, instead they just ripped it. Luckily I did the test cut function before trying to cut out a mask with them. If you're cutting foam, do yourself a favor and use the good blades you get from That's scrap. Just comparing the cheap blades with the good blade I got from That's scrap and there is no wonder which one is better, the That's scrap blade is easily twice the size of the el cheapo blade! The cheap blades will cut card stock so it's not a total loss, but from here on out I won't waste my time trying to scrimp on blades.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coolhand

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Re: Craft Foam Masks

Postby Gigi » February 15th, 2016, 11:02 am

Those masks are great. Thanks for sharing the info as well.

And you are so right about the blades. It is true - you get what you pay for. The less expensive ones can get you through in a pinch on cardstock and easy things, but when you are doing something you really care about, use the best.

Good luck at the convention. Sounds like it's similar to ComicCon that we have here in San Diego every year.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Masterpieces