Yay - label done - going to finish binding

Yay - label done - going to finish binding

Postby pigtailpat » July 20th, 2015, 3:40 pm

So with gigi's help (and the tip about mat size for WYSIWYG was really cool), I finished up my label. I was lucky too, as the practice beforehand and then the actual media, my pen was starting to go dry. So I just have to trim, turn under the sides that will not be caught in the binding (that will later be hand stitched), and attach. I have a Monday deadline as you will see....

I attach the label (redacted for the name of my sister - a birthday gift). I also provide a link below of the quilt top it is going on. The top has been since quilted. I will give you guys a final photo when done. I am posting to provide incentive that penning on fabric is indeed feasible, and it is much better than spoonflower, since I can predictably match backing fabric.

link to top: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2hybzitomxcd ... t.jpg?dl=0

Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Yay - label done - going to finish binding

Postby MeFlick » July 20th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Looks very nice Pat and Happy Birthday to your sister. Look forward to seeing your final pics of project. Had a look at the quilt top via your link. Looks beautiful and no doubt your sister will love it. My mother and her mother, grandmother all quilted but I never had the patience for it. Have considered giving it a try now that I am older and see if I can have more patience for it. On a side note, DH and I will be celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary on that date! (Yes, we were "babies" when we got married! ;) )
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » July 20th, 2015, 7:59 pm

The quilt top is gorgeous Pat, and the label turned out so very nice. Your sister is going to be so thrilled. What an amazing gift of love.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » July 20th, 2015, 8:20 pm

The label looks great, and the quilt is beautiful!
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » July 20th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Dawn - it was YOU who taught me everything about text in inkscape. When we worked together on the hershey text script, I thought I would never master this. That experience stayed with me for doing this pen work project. It worked much easier this time around, I think because of the new inkscape version, and the fact I was not trying to do a script (I feel that script is better suited for things like matboard, paper, hard surface media like that - fabric I think would be very problematic - also my sister's personality is not script - she was a tomboy when she was little and basically never really grew out of that). Maybe at some future point when I have more time, I can try script on fabric and see how far I get - and I'll have to install those gussets to get back on the cat. I had been so obsessed with getting this quilt done and in the can. Once completed, I will install the gussets.

Gigi & mel - thanks for your posts too. I'm very satisfied with the new SCAL and upgrading to the cut by color option (the pro) was a great move for me. I really missed that so much (I was raised on funtime, and the invisible hidden layer system and cut by color).

BTW - all the patience shown to me by Dawn and by Terri in vectors and the time I spent on them will eventually help me in the future. I am trying very hard to swing the purchase of a sitdown longarm quilting machine, and further into the future, I can purchase like a mini-robot computer software for the machine in a sitdown environment (this is wayyyyy into the future - it is expensive and can't swing it now with college & kids going on). That type of software is partially vectors, and partially autocad (i.e. the .dxf/.dwg/.plt formats) [think embroidery but on steroids for a big throat machine]. I am so thankful for the board here so I can come back for refreshers when I need it. I have really been bitten bad by quilting, and always was fascinated by sewing machines. I will never give up my gazzy and cat, they still are so valuable for me, and never let me down.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » July 21st, 2015, 12:15 am

Then I am delighted to have been of help!
Thyme

Postby Ilya » October 18th, 2015, 1:10 pm

Hi, Pat!

What kind of pen did you use?:)

Looks nice!
Ilya

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby pigtailpat » October 20th, 2015, 12:47 pm

I don't remember (((::: It was a special fabric pen, I will have to go back and look at my supplies to see what I did. If it comes back to me or if I find it, I will repost.

Pat
pigtailpat

Return to Masterpieces