My first successful greeting card cut.

My first successful greeting card cut.

Postby mrsefs » July 4th, 2015, 12:19 pm

I designed this card front with the Samantha font and then converted the font to outlines. I am thrilled with the cut but now I wonder what others are using to adhere delicate/detail paper cutouts to other paper.

This is lightweight cardstock from my stash (probably 65lb).

Kathy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrsefs

Cutter: 13" Silver Bullet Pro Series

Re: My first successful greeting card cut.

Postby MeFlick » July 4th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Beautiful work. I often use a fine tip zig glue pen for fine lettering like that.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » July 4th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Wow - I love that. The Samantha font is so beautiful.

Am curious what you meant about converting the font to outline? You don't have to do anything to a font to cut it (other than clean up some of them as not all cut well - as I am sure you read a gazillion times on here LOL!!) We always love learning new things here :)

I am with Mel - I love my Zig pen for detail gluing - or for super fine detail I love the Tombow glue pen or the Sakura glue pen (the name escapes me at the moment...)

So beautiful!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby mrsefs » July 4th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Gigi,
After I complete my design in Illustrator, I most always convert my text to outlines. After converting to outlines I can unite the letters while still in Illustrator which means I don't have to remember to weld them later in SCAL. Another reason to convert text is then I can modify the shape of an individual letter (i.e., add a swirl or swash to the leg of a "u"). The Create Outlines function can be found in the Type menu of Illustrator--I'm using Illustrator CS6.
Happy 4th!
Kathy
mrsefs

Cutter: 13" Silver Bullet Pro Series

Postby Gigi » July 4th, 2015, 2:56 pm

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I don't use Illustrator but many here do. I use Corel Draw or most often now, I just use SCAL (or occasionally Inkscape). I have found as more features have been added to SCAL, there are fewer times that I need to fall back on another program.

It's all about doing what is comfortable to you and you clearly have mastered the nuances of Illustrator. Again, beautiful job! I love the simplicity of it - it allows the elegant greeting to shine! :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Masterpieces