Golden piano pop-up card for my sister

Re: Golden piano pop-up card for my sister

Postby HDinAZ » June 13th, 2014, 9:13 am

Yes, I did put my "heart & soul" into designing a special card for her. I waited to see if would still "appear", but no such luck. However, I did send her pictures of the card she was supposed to get. At least she'll see that.

There is one little *twist* to this saga! It seems that the mailman just scans a code on the "tub of mail" and anything in there is automatically "scanned" and he only has to get a signature if one is required. So that would explain why he doesn't remember my parcel since it didn't require a signature. This procedure is a far cry from what I was lead to believe... namely, that a physical scan at the time of delivery of each item was required, but not in the case where a "tub of mail" is delivered. A mail sorter person could have easily scanned the item as "out for delivery" and instead of placing it in the "tub of mail", did something else with it. It would seem that the post office makes it easy for fraud in cases like this.
HDinAZ

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Angel135612 » June 13th, 2014, 1:54 pm

The clerks scan any items that have a bar code ( and most every larger piece of mail these days has one) when they arrive at the station. They are recorded as "Arrived at Unit", AND "Out for Delivery". The clerks then "toss" that item into a hamper or tub for each individual route. I can't tell you how many times when I get my hamper, how many parcels do NOT belong to my route, either because the clerk tossed it to the wrong route, or it "bounced" from one hamper to another, and they didn't bother to go get the parcel and get it into the right hamper. Normally the carrier, will take a parcel that doesn't belong to them, and get it to the right route. However, if the "right" carrier has already left the station, then that parcel will stay in the office until the next day, even though it has a scan that says it is out for delivery. They don't go back and "rescan" a mail piece if it didn't make it out to the street for delivery.

So, I'm sure your item was scanned as "Arrived at Unit" and "Out for Delivery" and since he scanned the TUB of mail as delivered, and that is where it was SUPPOSED to go, it would show it as delivered. However, if the item ended up in a tub that was supposed to go some place else, and that tub was also one that gets one scan for all items in it, then if the Carrier doesn't look at every piece of mail in that tub, and I'm going to assume that if the clerks sort it into the tubs, for individual business addresses, before the Carrier gets it, and therefore the Carrier doesn't look at each piece in the tub, that it could very well have been delivered some place else, and still show that it was delivered. It isn't so much that fraud is occurring (that really doesn't happen all that often, it's just that when it does, it make the news so it sounds like it happens a lot). But it is more a matter of indifference, and people not caring about how good of a job they do. (That is one of the things that irritates me to no end about working for the PO, and has for years, the UNION mentality, that no matter how bad of a job they do, they can't get fired because the Union will fight for them to keep it).

There is a lot of indifference in every level at the Post Office, and frankly, "Customer Service" went out the window a number of years ago, and the only thing that matters is the numbers... not how well the job is/was done. There are still a few clerks and carriers that do care about how well they do their job, but they are few and far between, and the newer hires are pushed to go faster and faster, so management can "make their numbers". It doesn't matter if it is a clerk or carrier, if they are constantly being pushed to get the job done faster, they are going to take shortcuts, and not care if they got something delivered where it belongs.
I'm not trying to make excuses as to why your piece of mail didn't get delivered as it should have, but just to give some insight to the Post Office.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby MeFlick » June 13th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Thanks for sharing your insight Diane. It's interesting to see an insider's view. Fortunately our mail comes through a small post office but we still get some "mis-deliveries" within our neighborhood. Now I "see" how that might occur. Usually when I get the neighbor's mail, I take it and put it in their mailbox myself.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Previous

Return to Masterpieces