First Cuts

Re: First Cuts

Postby Dana » June 22nd, 2011, 7:57 am

Gramof8 wrote:This is a tumbler I made with Dana's Swirl Heart Design. Thanks for all your great files and being so kind to post them for us all to use. Please know they are appreciated and also being used. Gram

PS: Dana please pm me your address so I can send this to you as your gift for all you do. I can add your name on the top if you wish!

OMG Gram... I didn't see this until this morning! Thank you so very very much! You did a lovely job on the tumbler and it looks like you are making fast friends with your new machine!!!!
Dana

Cutter: Lynx "Nikita"

Postby PennyDuncan » June 22nd, 2011, 3:46 pm

Pat that card is SO GORGEOUS!!!! So elegant and delicate!!!!!! Beautiful Beautiful BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby KansasA » June 22nd, 2011, 5:35 pm

This is my first successful cut and I am so impressed with my Cougar!! It cut a Honey Comb cereal box as if it were butter!! I wasn't sure what settings to use so I went with v=210 and f=111 with a multicut of 3 using MTC. I don't think I really needed to do a multicut of 3 but I thought it couldn't hurt. I used the 60 degree plus blade with long shaft in the click holder. Before I got my Cougar I tried using my cricut to make this and it was sadly a no go, it couldn't cut in the same place even doing a multicut of only 2!
Cougar cut 021.jpg

PS The link to get the template (MTC) for the bow maker, and instructions to use it, are at http://www.mythoughtsexactly.co/Bow-Maker-File-and-Video!.html
There is also another post about it for SCAL and an svg file here: http://www.mythoughtsexactly.co/Bow-Maker-SVG-Added-and-More-Info.html
Kansas :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KansasA

Postby pigtailpat » June 22nd, 2011, 6:46 pm

Gorgeous - but a question about which blade. There's a 60 plus, and then there is a 60 plus long (which has the long shaft). I just wanted to be sure about what you meant, you meant definitely the 60 plus long - not the 60 plus (without the long) for this cut? And you did this in .mtc? Because there is no overcut adjustment in .mtc, and that is wowserts that you got this done with no overcut adjustment.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2011, 8:48 pm

What a fabulous job on the bowmaker! Looks great. That is so clever.

I have plastic one (and a larger one for bigger bows) and I use it all the time - it is the only way I can make a bow that looks decent!!

May have to pull that chipboard out yet!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby KansasA » June 22nd, 2011, 9:38 pm

Hi Pat,
On the bag it says 60 Degree Long Shaft Thick Material.
I'm not sure what "overcut adjustment" is, can you explain? I lined the pieces up on the right side of a cricut mat, it was 12"x7.5", taped it down with painter's tape, moved the laser in 2" and cut. The file is mtc but she also has a svg file as well. It's two pieces that are cut and glued together. Next one I think I will delete the two circles where the ribbon goes and just use a hole punch to make them because those didn't line up quite as well as the rest. In the tutorial she says she cut 4 pieces of cardstock and glued together but I thought two pieces of chipboard would be much stronger. :)

pigtailpat wrote:Gorgeous - but a question about which blade. There's a 60 plus, and then there is a 60 plus long (which has the long shaft). I just wanted to be sure about what you meant, you meant definitely the 60 plus long - not the 60 plus (without the long) for this cut? And you did this in .mtc? Because there is no overcut adjustment in .mtc, and that is wowserts that you got this done with no overcut adjustment.

Pat
KansasA

Postby pigtailpat » June 22nd, 2011, 9:47 pm

Yup - then you were cutting with the 60 plus long - thanks for the answer. Overcut has to do with the beginning and ending points of a cut so that the beginning and ending points line up. In gazzy speak, it is called the knife offset. When I cut heavier materials on the gazzy, it really needed the native software (ie funtime), so that the knife offset could be adjusted to line up the beginning and ending points of a cut. Apparently, the cougar/lynx is not as sensitive to this issue, and you demonstrated that with chipboard, it can be done totally inside .mtc - and despite a lack of adjustment of the overcut.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby KansasA » June 23rd, 2011, 12:14 am

Me too! I have a heck of a time making decent bows but this thing works great.
CAGigi wrote: - it is the only way I can make a bow that looks decent!!
KansasA

Postby Thyme » June 23rd, 2011, 2:27 am

Hey Kansas, looks great!
Thyme

Postby KansasA » June 23rd, 2011, 12:24 pm

Thanks Dawn! :D
Thyme wrote:Hey Kansas, looks great!
KansasA

Postby gardencat » June 23rd, 2011, 10:21 pm

I've been doing a lot of things together since I got my Cougar. My very first cut was a little holder for earrings which I'd cut out before, on the Cricut, just wanted to try something I was familiar with for the first thing, besides I needed a couple of earring holders.

My first P &C that I finished was a Father's Day card for my husband, who is a golf nut. The dog and the ball were done with MTC and the KNK plug-in it took lots of trial and error and Rachallann's help but I finally got it and here is the card, and also a little golf club dangle thing that I printed on white cardstock then cut out and coated with glossy gel medium. I'm not thrilled with the way the gloss worked but I was happy with the way it cut out.
Fathers day Pand C.jpg
golf bag paper charm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gardencat

Postby PennyDuncan » June 23rd, 2011, 10:50 pm

FANTASTIC!!! That card is adorable!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » June 23rd, 2011, 11:57 pm

Love the card and the golf bag trinket - looks great.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Thyme » June 24th, 2011, 1:18 am

Looks wonderful!
Thyme

Postby LisaH » June 24th, 2011, 6:55 am

Looks great!!!
LisaH

Postby fairwayflunkie » June 26th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Well here's mine...okay I have to fess up that it wasn't the first try as I had to adjust my click holder etc...

45 degree blade, click was on 2, v 145 and f 75 on Georgia pacific cardstock 110lb from Walmart.. Now when it's cutting sometimes it makes a dzzzst sound (how's that for scientific :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: ) is that normal?
Nancy
fairwayflunkie

Postby Retta » June 26th, 2011, 2:44 pm

I can't say I've heard the sound! But, way to go on the first cut!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Thyme » June 26th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Congrats on your cut!
The sound it makes will vary with the velocity, but it can make odd sounds so I think you are probably fine
Thyme

Postby Gigi » June 26th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Way to go, Nancy!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » June 27th, 2011, 11:31 am

Woohoo Nancy!!!