PNC using Inkscape/Signcut Mac Version

PNC using Inkscape/Signcut Mac Version

Postby Phyllis » August 4th, 2011, 5:48 pm

I am at a total loss as to why I'm getting a diagonal cut line down my page after the image is cut out. I have my machine calibrated using Loopy's registration file and everything is working perfectly except for that extra cut. I have read all the threads on Signcut and Inkscape PNC and have done everything possible but can't find anyone who is having this problem. My Inkscape version is the .047 which is recommended.

I have a 15" Cougar and in Signcut there is no choice for the 15" so I have tried both 13 and 18 and no difference, same cut.

I have successfully made a cut from Signcut by just pulling in an .svg file and it doesn't cut that line when bypassing Inkscape, making me think Inkscape is the problem or the Mac version. I could manage with that cut line but it is a waste of card stock since I can only do one per page, the cut line cuts right through the image below it.

I sent the file to Tyler but he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it at first look, and he may not have the Mac version so if it's due to Mac, he might not be able to help me.
Phyllis

Re: PNC using Inkscape/Signcut Mac Version

Postby Suzan » August 4th, 2011, 5:54 pm

Could the blade be dragging going back to the starting point?
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Phyllis » August 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Suzan, it doesn't do this in any other cut, either directly from Signcut or SCAL, only when I export to Signcut from Inkscape. It's a clean cut, not just a dragging cut. I have tried different files but currently using some .png and .jpg's that I bought from Digi Web Studios but it makes no difference what image I use.
Phyllis

Postby Angel135612 » August 4th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Phyllis, Do you get that cut when sending ANY file to Signcut through Inkscape, NOT a PnC, but any file??? What version of Signcut are you using?? I wonder if that could be the problem (Not sure how often they update it, I'm no expert, but I am wondering if there isn't something corrupted in Signcut, although if you can cut normally, that may not be it either).

Is there a way you can get that file into Signcut with out exporting it from Inkscape? Print using inkscape, but save the file (with just the outline of the image and the registration marks) and then import it into signcut, and do the contour cut that way??

I don't use a MAC, so I have no idea.. I'm just trying to throw some ideas out here to see if they might help.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Retta » August 4th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Could it be the offset setting, and someone else will need to tell you, but I was having wierd things happen until that was set correctly after I changed it by accident!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Suzan » August 4th, 2011, 6:44 pm

When you export to sign cut. is the actual graphic removed. I know it will cause problems. But not sure what kind. I am sorry. But it is worth a try.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Phyllis » August 4th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Angel, when I was doing the calibration using the squares from Loopy's instructions, it was doing the same thing. I have not tried any other file that's not an image. I did pull a cut file directly into Signcut and it didn't happen, it seems only the ones sent from Inkscape. The Signcut version says Build 1.07 MAC. I just got it in May of this year. I'll try saving the outline only and bring directly into Signcut and see if that works.

Rhetta, I've not changed it, it still says .30 .
Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » August 4th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Suzan, yes the graphic is hidden when sent to Signcut, only the outline with the registration marks. I've done that though in the beginning and it crashed Signcut big time. LOL.
Phyllis

Postby Angel135612 » August 4th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Phyllis, On the Signcut website, there are two downloads for MAC. Not sure which one you downloaded, but may be you can try the other one, and see if that works (and hopefully transfer your registration number to it, if it does work). One says Signcut Productivity Pro (MAC) and the other says Signcut Productivity Pro (MAC 10.3.9) I can't tell what the difference is between the two, but perhaps you can contact their support and find out which one you should be using, and if they may know of a cause for why this is happening.
Angel135612

Postby Phyllis » August 4th, 2011, 8:04 pm

OK, I did some tests as suggested by Angel.

1) I saved the file with just the outline only, pulled it in directly to Signcut and it no extra cut line (well except for cutting those little registration marks).

2) I went back to Inkscape and exported to Signcut and just cut with the sissors (no laser settings, etc) it cut fine and no extra cut line.

3) I went back to Inkscape and exported it and went thru the laser registration settings and here is where the problem lies, that is when I get the extra cut line.

Angel, I will check the Productivity Pro (MAC) vs. the MAC 10.3.9.

Thanks everyone for your help, at least we've eliminated some of the possible causes.
Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » August 4th, 2011, 9:27 pm

I have the correct version of Signcut for my OS, the 10.3.9 is for the older operating systems, mine is 10.6.8, not the very latest but much later than the 10.3.9.
Phyllis

Postby Angel135612 » August 4th, 2011, 10:41 pm

Phyllis,

Have you had a chance to work with Dawn on this?? I know with the difference in time zones that may be a bit hard, but I know she uses a MAC, so maybe she knows something the rest of us do not.

Have you sent the file to Dawn? I know you mentioned that you sent it to Tyler, but he does not have a MAC, so maybe Dawn will be able to take a look at it for you, and see if there is something there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Angel135612

Postby Phyllis » August 4th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Angel, no I haven't sent it to Dawn, I hate to bother her and the time differences do make it more difficult. By the time I have time to sit down and work with it, it's her bedtime. Tyler asked me to send it to him and he checked it and nothing was wrong with the file. I've done all he told me to do also and all my settings are exactly like his but, yes, he has PC so he can't help any more. If I don't figure it out soon, I'll contact Dawn because I do know she's on a Mac. Next step is reinstalling Signcut and Inkscape but not sure if that will use up one of my Signcut lives since it would still be on a Mac.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » August 5th, 2011, 3:03 am

Phyllis wrote:OK, I did some tests as suggested by Angel.

1) I saved the file with just the outline only, pulled it in directly to Signcut and it no extra cut line (well except for cutting those little registration marks).

2) I went back to Inkscape and exported to Signcut and just cut with the sissors (no laser settings, etc) it cut fine and no extra cut line.

3) I went back to Inkscape and exported it and went thru the laser registration settings and here is where the problem lies, that is when I get the extra cut line.

Angel, I will check the Productivity Pro (MAC) vs. the MAC 10.3.9.

Thanks everyone for your help, at least we've eliminated some of the possible causes.

Just to clarify, does it only happen with pnc? And if so does it happen regardless of whether you export to Signcut or open in signcut?
Thyme

Postby Phyllis » August 5th, 2011, 11:10 am

Dawn, yes and yes. It happens when I choose the "simple contour" and go thru that setting of the laser on the registration marks. If I don't choose that step, of course, it cuts the outline without the extra cut line but it also doesn't cut where you want it to due to not setting the laser on the registration marks. The step of setting the registration marks is when it goes crazy and cuts that line.

Edited to add one more thought. My very first cut (the one I posted a few days ago of the pink envelope) was the one and only PNC that didn't cut that line, but I didn't go through the layer stuff, I just deleted my image after I printed it, leaving only the outline. I suppose at that point, everything was on the root layer. I will try and recreate that sceniero (sp) and see if it has to do with the layers, of course, that would not be a good route to take with every PNC.
Last edited by Phyllis on August 5th, 2011, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phyllis

Postby CaseysAngel » August 5th, 2011, 11:14 am

I just want to say I hope you guys can figure it out. Dawn is an expert with inkscape and signcut so I'm sure she can. I'm sorry but I am of no help with signcut. I barely can figure out how to do a fill engraving and Dawn had to fix my file so I could do that.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby Phyllis » August 5th, 2011, 11:28 am

Thanks Christy, I'm sure Dawn has some answers.
Phyllis

Postby Phyllis » August 5th, 2011, 11:51 am

Phyllis wrote:
Edited to add one more thought. My very first cut (the one I posted a few days ago of the pink envelope) was the one and only PNC that didn't cut that line, but I didn't go through the layer stuff, I just deleted my image after I printed it, leaving only the outline. I suppose at that point, everything was on the root layer. I will try and recreate that sceniero (sp) and see if it has to do with the layers, of course, that would not be a good route to take with every PNC.

I recreated my scenario above and still getting the cut line. The "simple contour" option doesn't seem to be an option with my programs. :banghead: :banghead: The only way not to get that line is to bypass this option which is not an option with PNC as I understand it.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » August 5th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Ok, don't fret, I am in contact with Signcut and waiting for a beta version that may solve this problem. I think it has to be Signcut that is the problem since it doesn't happen when you do not contour cut.
One further thought, can you pnc with MTC and the knk plugin? Do you have MTC?
Thyme

Postby Phyllis » August 5th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Dawn, I do have MTC and the KNK plugin but I have not tried it, I have been away from MTC for so long I'll have to retrain myself. I did get his latest upgrade but haven't really looked around in it very much. I have my Silhouette SD which does great with PNC as you know, I just wanted to be able to do it thru Inkscape and Signcut so I could use my Cougar. The Sil SD has it's limitations.
Phyllis

Next

Return to Signcut