First efforts with signcut...

First efforts with signcut...

Postby pigtailpat » June 22nd, 2011, 9:55 pm

I decided to try just regular cutting with signcut tonight (no laser calibration nothing). I understand now where things will cut, but for some wacky reason, I got a better cut of the same image with .mtc. I have a feeling it is my error somewhere along the way, as I just don't understand all the significances to the windows yet in signcut.

One question, is there a way to automatically set signcut so it does not weed? I did not use the inkscape-signcut combination yet, I threw an .svg made in corel draw to signcut (although my export in x5 is not linking to signcut, if I right click the .svg - the send to signcut works fine - and I don't even need to open in inkscape).

I will try again tomorrow night in sign cut again. And I definitely agree, when the machine cuts in signcut - it sings and sounds like an alien!!

Pat

Edit: I am not one to give up, I tried again in signcut, this time, I got a cut that was even smaller than what I achieved in .mtc - and despite my prior efforts - which I'm not going to count - seems to have gone faster than the successful cut in .mtc. I am still learning alot about adjustment of the bladeholder in the clamp and positioning with cd.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: First efforts with signcut...

Postby Angel135612 » June 23rd, 2011, 12:39 am

There is a way to turn off the automatic weeding (if you are talking about the box that cuts around your image). I asked about it earlier. I don't have signcut on this computer, so I can't check and tell you where it is. I do remember it is in the dialog box when you click on the icon of the cutter (I think).
If Dawn doesn't answer your question, I will try and get on my laptop in the morning before work and find just where it is... but now, it's time for bed.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » June 23rd, 2011, 2:24 am

Click on the scissors icon and in the pop up window about half way down is an option called USE WEEDING FRAME, untick this and it won't cut the rectangle around your work
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » June 23rd, 2011, 6:26 am

Thanks Dawn. I want to learn more about the signcut and do some more cuts in signcut tonight after all the day chores. Another question, I am not sure whether I should be using the mm or inches. I keep thinking about eventually doing the calibration of the laser in my head, and that is making me wonder if I should use the inches or the mm. I don't understand how the states failed to switch the metric like the rest of the world does, but we have what we have. Math is bad enough as it is for me, throw metric at me and whew...
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » June 23rd, 2011, 7:02 am

If you are going to do contour cutting it is very much easier in mm
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » June 23rd, 2011, 7:17 am

That is what I thought. I think someone here posted a metric conversion chart. I'm going to look for that, and print and keep it handy. I'm not going to do contour cutting right away, but eventually I will, and I should get used to now what will be better for later. Thanks.

Pat
pigtailpat

Return to Signcut