Signcut questions

Signcut questions

Postby mplesk » June 8th, 2011, 1:18 pm

I think I finally decided on what software to get for my new Lynx (hopefully getting here this month! :D ). After much research I think that Inkscape/Signcut is going to work for me. I downloaded Inkscape and have been playing with it (loved it!). I never had SCAL or MTC so I have no issues with learning new software. What finally sold me was the Print-and Cut already being there and the engraving discussion!
Anyway, I have some questions:
Is the best place to get Signcut from their site or can I get this from Dawn/Sherri?
Do most people get the 1yr subscription and re-new or outright purchase the Hobby edition?(just curious)
Am I correct that if I purchase the Hobby edition this still has a dongle associated with it?
Now, while reading the Signcut web site they had a list of drivers for the cutters they support, Black Cat was not listed. :?: Is there a separate driver that I would need once I get the software? If so, where would I get this?

I know that this is a lot of questions, but I am just learning. I appreciate any input as I know that this forum is populated by very helpful and knowledgeable people.

Thanks again and hugs,

Martha
mplesk

Cutter: Lynx 12"

Re: Signcut questions

Postby PennyDuncan » June 8th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Hey Martha!!! Congrats on your new Lynx coming!!!! ;) I can't give you all the details but I can share with you that YES Signcut DOES WORK with the Black Cat Line....I'm using it with my Lynx......You can purchase the Hobby edition from Dawn's website and it does come with a 1 year subscription and then you get a dongle after the first year......I really think you will love the combination of the Inkscape/Signcut......I've used both SCAL and MTC for years and have always done my creating in Inkscape.....so for me...Inkscape/Signcut is like the perfect marriage!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Thyme » June 8th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Thanks Penny.
Hi Martha, yes buy it from me because that version will have the Black Cat driver already in it.
Thyme

Postby LisaH » June 8th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Dawn, how much is Signcut through you? I have to gather my pennies....LOL
LisaH

Postby Thyme » June 8th, 2011, 1:53 pm

£70
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » June 8th, 2011, 11:31 pm

I'm seriously thinking of buying Signcut so I can do some engraving before the Black Cat software comes out... does any one know how much it is from Sherri?? And where we can get the download for it? I do enjoy MTC, but I'm thinking that I would rather have something that doesn't bog down my system when I want to import texture for a PNC, or to do some engraving... would love to be able to do some things like Dawn shared the other day... but I don't think MTC could handle it.

Thanks
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby mplesk » June 9th, 2011, 1:00 am

Thanks!!! I will order from Dawn.

Penny- love all the things you've done on your blog!!!

Martha
mplesk

Cutter: Lynx 12"

Postby Thyme » June 9th, 2011, 2:33 am

Angel, you get it from me rather than Sherri.
The download also comes from me.
Or if you want to try it out first you can register for a trial on Signcuts website
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » June 9th, 2011, 11:39 am

Thanks Dawn, I just downloaded the trail, to test it out... and now I have to figure out how to use it. I'm going to have to see what the exchange rate is because one week isn't going to give me enough time to play with it... I need to retire so I don't have to work so much... LOL
Angel135612

Postby PennyDuncan » June 9th, 2011, 11:41 am

Angel135612 wrote:Thanks Dawn, I just downloaded the trail, to test it out... and now I have to figure out how to use it. I'm going to have to see what the exchange rate is because one week isn't going to give me enough time to play with it... I need to retire so I don't have to work so much... LOL

Hey Angel....I bought it the other day and the exchange rate for the 70 (whatever that funny character Dawn used the other day) equaled to about $117.00 US if that helps you....

And MARTHA!!! THANK YOU for your very sweet comment!! ;)
PennyDuncan

Postby Angel135612 » June 9th, 2011, 11:49 am

Thanks Penny... I'm going to have to wait a bit on it then, I just spent to much money on vinyl last night... LOL But I can play around for a week at least... just need to figure out how it works...
Angel135612

Postby PennyDuncan » June 9th, 2011, 11:51 am

Angel135612 wrote:Thanks Penny... I'm going to have to wait a bit on it then, I just spent to much money on vinyl last night... LOL But I can play around for a week at least... just need to figure out how it works...

You're most welcome!!!!! You know......I am absolutely LOVING it!!! I have always loved Inkscape and it is SO easy to just create in there and send it directly to Signcut......I really think it's easier and quicker to do it this way........I know I'm a happy happy camper with the combination!!! ;)
PennyDuncan

Postby Thyme » June 9th, 2011, 11:52 am

PennyDuncan wrote:
Angel135612 wrote:Thanks Dawn, I just downloaded the trail, to test it out... and now I have to figure out how to use it. I'm going to have to see what the exchange rate is because one week isn't going to give me enough time to play with it... I need to retire so I don't have to work so much... LOL

Hey Angel....I bought it the other day and the exchange rate for the 70 (whatever that funny character Dawn used the other day) equaled to about $117.00 US if that helps you....

And MARTHA!!! THANK YOU for your very sweet comment!! ;)

Funny character??? - lol! That is the good old british pound sign
Thyme

Postby PennyDuncan » June 9th, 2011, 11:54 am

:hide: :hide: ROFL!!! I know but I couldn't think of what it was and what it looked like!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby Thyme » June 9th, 2011, 12:06 pm

PennyDuncan wrote::hide: :hide: ROFL!!! I know but I couldn't think of what it was and what it looked like!!!

Lol Penny, you are funny!!
Thyme

Postby Elsa » June 10th, 2011, 11:25 am

I have all my designing software on my desktop. Inkscape 0.48, Xara, MTC, etc. all of which will save an svg. I save the file then cut from my laptop.
If I download Inkscape 0.47 and Signcut to my laptop, that should work, right?
What kind of resources does Signcut need to work efficiently? Especially for heavily filled engraving or embossing.
When does Signcut normally update to the newest versions of Inkscape, assuming they do.
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby Thyme » June 10th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Yes, 0.47 and signcut will work fine. They are best installed in the default locations, so you might want to move your 0.48 to a different location.
If you have enough resources to create the fill on Inkscape then you will have enough for Signcut. Signcut is always a long long time updated to the latest version of Inkscape
Thyme

Return to Signcut