One thing I realized!!!

One thing I realized!!!

Postby PennyDuncan » June 5th, 2011, 10:09 am

Hey Everyone...I just have to give a SHOUT OUT to Sign Cut....this morning I had decided I wanted to master the fill option for engraving so I can engrave the inside parts of something I might want to create....so I watched the tutorial Dawn had shared on the UK forum and totally understand how to do the fill of whatever I'm wanting to engrave....so I send it to MTC and it locks up the program.....WAY TO MUCH detail for MTC to handle......so I went and checked out Signcut and decided to take the plunge and get it....I'm SO HAPPY I DID!!! Dawn you're not kidding it spooled the file and began almost immediately........

I also have to agree with so many.... I think the PNC with Signcut is much easier as well........Tyler had walked me through back when I first got my Lynx but once I got it down with MTC I didn't use it on the trail version of Signcut anymore then my playtime ran out for it....so my poor brain forgot what I was supposed to do....but with watching a few tutorials this morning I have successfully done a PNC and it is PERFECT!!!!!

I believe I will be moving to using my Inkscape program which I have ALWAYS loved and Signcut!!!! These two work so well together!!! Ok.....enough rambling from me...Just had to share that....can you tell I'm excited!!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Re: One thing I realized!!!

Postby Thyme » June 5th, 2011, 10:11 am

Glad you are happy Penny!
Thyme

Postby PennyDuncan » June 5th, 2011, 10:13 am

Oh I DEFIANTELY am Dawn!!!!!! And I'm learning new things about Inkscape I didn't know before either!!!! Makes me fall in love with my Lynx "Sable" all over again!!! This is one AWESOME machine!!!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby Retta » June 5th, 2011, 10:15 am

Opens up a whole lot of other tools and possibilities doesn't it. Great! I love inkscape and Signcut. I think it is easier to use than most people know.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Thyme » June 5th, 2011, 10:19 am

I think a lot of people get put off by how complex Inkscape looks when you first open it, but by just learning a bit as you need it it becomes very manageable
Thyme

Postby Retta » June 5th, 2011, 10:20 am

I'm still learning. But you are right, manageable.
Retta

Postby Gigi » June 5th, 2011, 10:21 am

That is awesome , Penny.

I am always amazed at how quickly and easily Signcut reads a file and goes to work!! It is much more efficient than I am!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby karenl3912 » June 5th, 2011, 11:08 am

Really great Penny. I have to admit I go back to Inkscape and Signcut a lot. I have a lot of fun in MTC too but the files for both swap back and forth so easily. I like to design some in MTC and then take it to Inkscape to edit. I often take it back to MTC for something else and then back to Inkscape to send to Signcut. It is very hard to break the habit of the software you really learn first and there is still so much I dont know about Inkscape. I did find MTC easier to learn but with Singcut I know exactly where it will cut everytime and it weeds my vinyl. I think I took the lazy approach when I had to learn MTC. Like don't learn the things something else does well when they aren't broken. I can't wait to see what Black Cat software is like and I am even ready to learn it.
I think I just worked out why I have trouble with some MTC things. With Inkscape we were all learning together at the beginning, well those that didn't already know it. It will be the same with our new software and that will be fun.
Karen.
karenl3912

Postby PennyDuncan » June 5th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Thyme wrote:I think a lot of people get put off by how complex Inkscape looks when you first open it, but by just learning a bit as you need it it becomes very manageable

I agree......I started in Inkscape back when SCAL1 was out and have loved it every since........once you get past the basics it because so easy!!!! I too went back and forth between Inkscape and MTC....but I think for me I'm going to try and do through Inkscape only as much as I can until the new software comes out........
PennyDuncan

Postby Angel135612 » June 5th, 2011, 2:19 pm

It sounds like Signcut might be worth having, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on it, if our own software is going to be able to do all the things that can be done in Signcut. I don't mind waiting for the Black Cat software, but would it still be beneficial to have Signcut as well?
I haven't tried learning Inkscape yet, but I am in the process of learning Adobe Illustrator (since I have the program figure I might as well learn it).

I want to try some engraving and embossing, but not sure if I should just stick with MTC or get Signcut or wait for the BC software...
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » June 5th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Our software will do all that Signcut does, BUT it will come gradually. It will start off basic and then get added to.
If you are happy with MTC, then stick with it, no point spending extra money unless it is going to benefit you
Thyme

Postby Suzan » June 5th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Thyme wrote:Our software will do all that Signcut does, BUT it will come gradually. It will start off basic and then get added to.
If you are happy with MTC, then stick with it, no point spending extra money unless it is going to benefit you

OK I have to disagree in a great way. Sign Cut is the bomb, No you shouldn't spend the money. But I fussed and fussed with inkscape, and then doing a tutorial, it clicked and it was like I actually understood stuff. And Sign Cut, no doubt about is the best. I have exported from both MTC and SCAL to cut in signcut and it worked fine.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » June 5th, 2011, 5:29 pm

I agree with you Suzan!!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » June 5th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Absolutely agree!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elsa » June 6th, 2011, 7:57 am

Ok. Signcut sounds wonderful and I don't mind spending money on something that will make what I want to do easier. But, what about the dongle? I swore I would never own another piece of software that required a dongle. I have one for my embroidery software. It takes up a usb port, can be finicky, and is expensive to replace if something happens to it. Not to mention the hoops some I know have had to go through just to get it replaced. Any problems?
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby Thyme » June 6th, 2011, 8:24 am

Hi Elsa,
For the first year you get a subscription of Signcut pro that comes without a dongle and can be used on one computer. After that year you get the Craft dongle.
We haven't had any problems with dongles so far but of course I cannot guarantee that will always be the case
Thyme

Postby Elsa » June 6th, 2011, 9:27 am

Thanks, Dawn.
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby Retta » June 6th, 2011, 9:55 am

Dawn - are the Dongles in?
Retta

Postby PennyDuncan » June 6th, 2011, 10:03 am

I purchased Signcut yesterday and am BEYOND thrilled......but what "exactly" IS a dongle???????? Yes I know......I'm a goof!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby Retta » June 6th, 2011, 10:15 am

Isn't that a really dumb name! Well a dongle is a thing that sticks into the USB port. It is like the key for the software to work. I like them because if it is loaded on another computer, then the dongle is all you need to make it work. I keep mine in my computer case. The thing is - if it breaks you have to buy a new one. So if you attach it with a USB hub - powered one - then it is not as likely to break if you drop your laptop or anything.
Retta

Next

Return to Signcut