Signcut not cutting when I press "cut"

Signcut not cutting when I press "cut"

Postby tamihowse » July 8th, 2012, 7:43 pm

My Signcut has been working for several months without any problems. All of a sudden, when I pull up a file to cut (already in my signcut folder), the little cut box shows up (you know-the one where the green bar runs along from left to right), but then it disappears and my Cougar won't cut it. I've tried all 4 ports on my computer, but nothing works. I really don't want to re-install Signcut, but it looks like I might have to. I have a big project due in a few days for a customer and I need to get it working. Suggestions?
Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Cutter: 24" Cougar

Re: Signcut not cutting when I press "cut"

Postby Louise-paisley » July 8th, 2012, 8:10 pm

tamihowse wrote:My Signcut has been working for several months without any problems. All of a sudden, when I pull up a file to cut (already in my signcut folder), the little cut box shows up (you know-the one where the green bar runs along from left to right), but then it disappears and my Cougar won't cut it. I've tried all 4 ports on my computer, but nothing works. I really don't want to re-install Signcut, but it looks like I might have to. I have a big project due in a few days for a customer and I need to get it working. Suggestions?
Fondly, Tami

In signcut go to settings->Cutter and make sure they are something like this..

Capture.JPG

Especially make sure the port is set to your cutter serial port and NOT TCP/IP or anything..

Turn off cutter, hold origin down and power on, keep origin down until display reads RESET.

See if that helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PC running Windoze 7 - Inkscape + Signcut Pro with dongle - SCAL V3 - Adobe Illustrator CS4
24" Cougar - 24" Silver Bullet Pro
Louise-paisley

Postby Angel135612 » July 8th, 2012, 8:16 pm

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure you are online??
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Louise-paisley » July 8th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Angel135612 wrote:I know this may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure you are online??

Whenever I have made that mistake the progress box does not disappear it just does not progress.

I think every time this has happened to me the port had somehow been changed to TCP/IP
PC running Windoze 7 - Inkscape + Signcut Pro with dongle - SCAL V3 - Adobe Illustrator CS4
Louise-paisley

Postby tamihowse » July 8th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Angel, that's not a stupid question! I've done so many stupid things! Yes, I'm online.
I think I see part of the problem, at least. There's no com port in my settings. Right now, it's set to Microsoft XPS Document Writer. I have no option of a com port at all.
That's so weird, because it just all of a sudden didn't work.
Any suggestions of what I should do next?
Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Postby Louise-paisley » July 8th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Make sure the cutter is connected, may be a loose cable..

If you use USB then unplugging and pluging in the usb cable should make the computer make a sound.

Have you reset the cutter as above?

Try re-starting computer
Louise-paisley

Postby tamihowse » July 8th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Yeah. Re-started my computer several times after trying all of my ports. When I unplug the Cougar, my Windows crashes, so I have to turn my computer off before I unplug it, or else.
Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Postby Louise-paisley » July 8th, 2012, 9:02 pm

tamihowse wrote:Yeah. Re-started my computer several times after trying all of my ports. When I unplug the Cougar, my Windows crashes, so I have to turn my computer off before I unplug it, or else.
Fondly, Tami

that does not sound right! I wonder if you need a driver update, would need to know if its the newer ftdi board or not for that..

However, if it was working despite that it does not explain why it now isnt..

If you have reset cougar, made sure its connected properly and restarted computer and still no serial port all I can think is try a different usb lead?
Louise-paisley

Postby Gigi » July 8th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Tami -
I had this problem the other day. I reinstalled SignCut over itself and rebooted and that remedied it. LMK if that helps. If not I have a second game plan that I had to use today which worked - but let's try this one first. Reinstalling SignCut over itself will not change any of your settings.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby tamihowse » July 8th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I know, Louise, but I haven't been able to find an answer to the crashing problem.
CaGigi, I will just go ahead and re-install it.
Thanks, Peeps!
Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Postby Thyme » July 8th, 2012, 10:08 pm

After you have reinstalled Signcut check if the port shows in your device manager, if it doesn't then reinstall the driver
Thyme

Postby tamihowse » July 9th, 2012, 9:16 am

Thanks everyone! I re-installed the driver, and then I checked the cutter settings, which needed to be tweaked.
I've been so frustrated lately. I seems like there's always something that I forget (like putting the right blade in, pressing my origin button, etc.). I don't want to whine (and I know I am), but it seems like my learning curve is very steep. Ugh.
Anyway, it's SO wonderful to know that you peeps are here to help! I always can count on a timely response!
Now, on to cut my vinyl for my project before my driver disappears again!
Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Postby Louise-paisley » July 9th, 2012, 10:35 am

just out of interest, did re-installing the driver fix the crashing computer issue as well?
Louise-paisley

Postby tamihowse » July 9th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Not sure, LP. I haven't tried it, because my computer really goes haywire, and the last time it happened, it made a screaming noise. I really thought I lost it.
Dawn has suggested using the "safely remove hardware" button, but my computer doesn't show me one. I have one when I attach my external hard drive to back up my computer, but I can't find one when my Cougar is plugged in.
If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Return to Signcut