Signcut crashes before Inkscape can export image

Signcut crashes before Inkscape can export image

Postby pennysem » December 29th, 2011, 7:43 pm

I'm trying to export an image from Inkscape to Signcut, I was able to do it yesterday, but towards the evening, I started experiencing this issue. I pull in the image, (a .png file), resize it and click on the extensions menu and choose export. Almost immediately I get the error message that Signcut has to close. Do you think it' s the Microsoft security ?

Thanks for any help, Sally
pennysem

Re: Signcut crashes before Inkscape can export image

Postby Tyler » December 29th, 2011, 7:46 pm

No - your image must be converted to vector first by doing a trace bitmap. Then, delete or hide the PNg image before sending to SignCut. Anytime you send a pixel/raster image to signcut, it will likely crash.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby jilly.moo » January 10th, 2012, 10:04 pm

I ran into this problem as well on my macbook. After about an hour trying to get it to work, I finally just copied the layers I wanted to cut from my file and then created a brand new inkscape file to paste the layers into. I am not sure but there must have been something in the original file that signcut didn't like. The new file work perfectly.
jilly.moo

Postby Angel135612 » January 11th, 2012, 8:48 am

If you had a lot of layers, check to see if there was something in a layer named "root". Look at the lower left side of the window, where it shows your fill, stroke and opacity, there should be a place where it shows layers as well. If it says root down there, it won't 'show' that layer in your layers control panel when you bring that up by using Shift +Control + L. Also I only notice this "root" layer when I OPEN an image file, rather than IMPORTING the image file.
If you have an image in your file, it will not import into Signcut at all. I resolved the issue by always importing my files, into Inkscape, making sure to put them on Layer 1. Haven't had that problem since I started doing things that way.

Also, if you have an image layer in your file, make sure you close the eye on it before you try to import it into Signcut, or it won't import.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Signcut