New to Signcut ....where to look :0)

New to Signcut ....where to look :0)

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » December 28th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Hi...I received my Kitty on Christmas Eve day..right before going to work...yay!! I finally had some time to sit down and install the signcut software...and now I am experiencing a little of this :banghead: :banghead:

The main thing I use my silhouette sd for is the print and cut feature. The feature I use the most is the "find an outline" feature. I open an image in my Silhouette studio program :hide: (I am good with pixels...but know nothing about vectors...although I do have inkscape on my computer). When I open Signcut...there is no mat...LOL.. :hide: :hide: and nothing I am used to seeing :oops: If anyone knows of a tutorial that shows the steps of creating the outline of the image and then taking it into sign cut...that would be fabulous.

OR...if Make the cut has a easier feature of creating a cut line around an image...please let me know. I have no problem learning new programs...sometimes I am in a hurry...so easier works too...LOL. Sometimes I have no patience days...LOL
Hugs...and Thanks in advance
Heather
MyArtisticAdventures

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 24 inch

Re: New to Signcut ....where to look :0)

Postby Retta » December 28th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Heather - love your fiesty cat!!!

I use inkscape to design in. I downloaded the plug-in for inkscape 0.47 version to send to Signcut. (0.48 version of Inkscape has some problems for some people.) Then in Signcut - there are two options to cut with - where it is placed on the actual size of the page and location when you design it OR You can set the origion button, choose what you want to cut by color (also an option on the actual location on the page) and have it cut right in that corner. I hope that makes sense. It does to me as I don't always want it to cut in the middle of my paper, but just cut that item out.

There are inkscape tutorials on the net - on the UK Black Cat Forum and some instructions here in the learning center. I have MTC and don't really know how to use it well.

I love Inkscape and Signcut as they give me the most options in designing and cutting the way I want to.
Congratulations on the CAT!!!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » December 28th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Retta wrote:Heather - love your fiesty cat!!!

I use inkscape to design in. I downloaded the plug-in for inkscape 0.47 version to send to Signcut. (0.48 version of Inkscape has some problems for some people.) Then in Signcut - there are two options to cut with - where it is placed on the actual size of the page and location when you design it OR You can set the origion button, choose what you want to cut by color (also an option on the actual location on the page) and have it cut right in that corner. I hope that makes sense. It does to me as I don't always want it to cut in the middle of my paper, but just cut that item out.

There are inkscape tutorials on the net - on the UK Black Cat Forum and some instructions here in the learning center. I have MTC and don't really know how to use it well.

I love Inkscape and Signcut as they give me the most options in designing and cutting the way I want to.
Congratulations on the CAT!!!

Thank you...I just created my fiesty cat...since I haven't figured out signcut yet...LOL..and I am at work. My patient is 17 and I got him an xbox game for Christmas...so he is playing it online with my son..and my nephews...so I can play a little...LOL.

I figure I will get it sooner or later. I have inkscape open now..and looking around :0)
Thanks!
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » December 28th, 2011, 5:53 pm

When I get home from work...I am going to get the MTC...just because I think it is similar to what Have used before. I will figure out inkscape too...so I can use sign cut :0)
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby Retta » December 28th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Sounds like a plan. I will be honest I'm MTC stupid. The terms are so different for the same thing it just messes with my mind!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » December 28th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I sooo know what you mean. I am playing with the freebie version right now...seeing if I can figure it out :0)
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby renea72 » January 8th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Just got my Cougar 24inch I have used MTC for a Year or so with my Cricut Expression & my husband thought I should try
Sign Cut so he downloaded a free weeks trial so If any has any Tips I'm some what of a fast learner.

Thanks in advance
Renee
renea72

Postby kate3 » January 9th, 2012, 12:19 am

It is much easier to do print and cut with Inkscape and Signcut. You have to calibrate fo PnC in Signcut first. Inkscape does have a learning curve as does MTC. I have both and I prefer Inkscape and Signcut. There are things I love in MTC as well and I like how I can take the files between the two programs but I will always prefer to cut in Signcut.
kate3

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » January 9th, 2012, 7:53 am

I was trying to do the calibration last night....UGH...LOL. I don't know the MTC program, I am so used to the Silhouette Studio. I think I will have to watch the basics for MTC...and I believe that I will figure out inkscape too. Mainly because I do a lot of print and cut. With MTC...I can just turn my image around etc. You have to have everything done before you import it. I have the habit of playing and welding images in silhouette studio. I am thinking that inkscape may be the way to go :0) I will let everyone know when I actually get it...LOL.
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby riogirl71 » January 9th, 2012, 3:13 pm

http://blackcatus.com/learn/?page_id=141

Look above it really helps when you can see the origin, I now have it where I send from inkscape and now exactly where it will cut! Takes a little time and some head tilting! I think someone said left ear to left shoulder! :)
So many ideas... so little time!
riogirl71

Postby Suzan » January 9th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Yes that is what Dawn says, it will turn to the left and cut that way
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Return to Signcut