SignCut AI Plug-In Causes AI to crash...????

SignCut AI Plug-In Causes AI to crash...????

Postby JillStraw » November 25th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Hi all!!! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! I've got a question - the first of many (brace yourselves lol!)

I am on a iMac/MacBook Pro both running OS Lion 10.7.2; I have SignCut & Inkscape installed - they seem to work fine for the short amount of time I've been using them (exactly 2 days LOL!). AI CS 5 is my preferred design software however. After I downloaded and installed the Inkscape & AI drivers for Mac, Inkscape works fine but AI has constantly crashed when I try to open the application. I've even removed the plug-in from my machine and trashed the files; then trashed the trash and still - CRASH CRASH CRASH :( I really don't want to have to re-download AI (eek! 5 hours+ not fun) to reinstall it.

Does/has anyone ever had this problem? With OS X 10.7 being so new I am never sure if it's my OS or the plug-in. Could there be a work-around or different installation method I could try to solve the problem? I suppose I could just export my files manually to a directory and then open them in SignCut if necessary - but that's no fun lol!!

Any info on the problem is greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers!!
Jill
JillStraw

Re: SignCut AI Plug-In Causes AI to crash...????

Postby Suzan » November 25th, 2011, 10:52 pm

I use CS5 for PC I wish I could help, are you using a keyspan adapter, or straight plug in. I am not sure if it will make a difference. But someone else had this problem also. Dawn uses a mac but not CS5. Hopefully she will be able to help
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby JillStraw » November 25th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Thanks Suzan.... I appreciate the reply :).

I'm using the Keyspan Adapter... everything else is working great so at least I can still fiddle around with my new Cat 'till I this gets sorted out.

Jill
JillStraw

Postby Thyme » November 26th, 2011, 2:52 am

I am not at all sure why Illustrator would be crashing, as Suzan says there was another customer having the same problem but I don't remember who it was. I don't use Illustrator so can't test it for you. Maybe the best thing would be to contact Signcut and see if they have any help to offer on the matter
Thyme

Postby Suzan » November 26th, 2011, 11:42 am

I don't know if this will help, but I am throwing it out there. When you go to cut, Are your cutting lines mixed with strokes and filled lines, They should be one or the other. And also you aren't sending a graphic (for like a print and cut) with it when you send to sign cut. If you like you can send me the file and I will try it in AI on thru to Sign cut to see if I see anything weird.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby JillStraw » November 26th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Thanks ladies! I am unable to launch AI at all since I tried to install the SignCut Plug-In... as i watch it load, it goes through each step of what it's doing (so you don't wonder - "why is this taking so long, i guess, lol") - when it gets to the Plug-Ins Folder I can see it going through and checking each fie ... when it gets to SignCut the program crashes and I have to either send to apple a crash report or ignore.

Suzan - thank you so much for your offer! Very sweet!! I don't however even have anything to send - just some things I wanted to create in AI.

Dawn - I think that sounds like the best place to start. Is there anyone in particular I should contact at SignCut or shall I simply go through their support area?

Thanks sooooo sooooo much Dawn & Suzan! I'm sure this can be worked out - maybe SignCut simply hasn't update the driver to run on Lion - most drivers seem to cut off at Snow leopard. It could just be a matter of waiting for new coding? I'll keep you up to date!!

:) Have a great Saturday!!
JillStraw

Postby Thyme » November 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Just use the support area, any of the support team will hopefully be able to help.
Thyme

Postby JillStraw » November 26th, 2011, 3:38 pm

great! thanks Dawn!
JillStraw

Postby Tyler » November 27th, 2011, 8:57 am

They generally respond pretty quickly - I wish I could help but don't have any experience with a MAC. Sorry!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby JillStraw » November 29th, 2011, 7:06 am

Thanks again everyone. I contacted signcut support... They currently do not support Ai export for AI CS5.1 for Mac OSX Lion, but should be releasing an updated plugin within the next couple of weeks. Whew! I'm getting by with Inkscape but am looking forward to the new plug in!

Just a heads up for my fellow Ai/Mac Lion users! It's coming ... Hooray!!!

:D :D
JillStraw

Postby Thyme » November 29th, 2011, 8:25 am

Excellent!
Thyme

Return to Signcut