Might be a stupid question.......

Might be a stupid question.......

Postby bigideas » August 16th, 2011, 9:59 pm

but how do you know where all your layers are going to cut on the mat? I normally use SCAL 3 and can add my different papers for all the different layers but I don't know how to do that in Sign cut. Is it possible? I'm trying to learn the software and I'm just not getting it.
bigideas

Re: Might be a stupid question.......

Postby Angel135612 » August 16th, 2011, 10:29 pm

There isn't a way to do it in Signcut itself, but you can move your layers around in Inkscape and then send that to signcut. I'm not sure if there is an easier way, but I would create a page in Inkscape, the size of your mat, then move all your layers around to where you want them. Just to be sure of placement, I would draw a square or rectangle around each "color" and that will give you an idea of the size of paper you need and where to place it on your mat. Then when you have everything lined up like you want, put your paper on the mat to fit the squares or rectangles. I would have those on a different layer, then you can just hide that layer before you send to signcut, and all the parts you want cut out should be showing, and cut out just like you want. Practice with small files first to make sure it works the way you think it should, so you don't waste a lot of paper.

While typing this, I just thought of what may be an easier way, or at least a different way to do this also. If each of your layers is a different color, you can always send the file to signcut, then just choose what color you want to cut, and place the blade at the corner of the color paper you want to cut. Once one is cut, just select the next color, and move the blade to the next color.. don't forget to set the origin each time you move the blade, or it will move back to your original origin. As long as you have each of your papers on your mat, you should be able to do this.

Hope this helps and I didn't confuse you even more.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » August 16th, 2011, 10:57 pm

Angel135612 wrote:
While typing this, I just thought of what may be an easier way, or at least a different way to do this also. If each of your layers is a different color, you can always send the file to signcut, then just choose what color you want to cut, and place the blade at the corner of the color paper you want to cut. Once one is cut, just select the next color, and move the blade to the next color.. don't forget to set the origin each time you move the blade, or it will move back to your original origin. As long as you have each of your papers on your mat, you should be able to do this.

Hope this helps and I didn't confuse you even more.

Was thinking the same thing - just be sure that Signcut is set to optimize so it cuts where you have your blade, or it will cut where it is on your sheet. You will know that you have it set right because the image will fill the screen if you have it set to cut where your blade is (origin). Hope that doesn't confuse you either. Just keep asking if any of us need to clarify!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Retta » August 18th, 2011, 3:25 pm

That being able to choose the color in signcut is my favorite option. The optimized thing lets you cut where you start, the other lets you cut over things so they cut well - for instance, intricut detail is so much better - cutting the inside first and then the outside. You figured it out!!! Yeah!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Return to Signcut