Cutting Inside shapes first

Cutting Inside shapes first

Postby Angel135612 » August 14th, 2011, 12:32 pm

I'm using a LD butterfly svg from the Butterfiles and Blossoms set. I want to cut out the wings with the cutout parts using on paper printed with black from my laser printer in order to foil them. When I go to cut that out, it cuts the outer shape first,then the inside shapes. I may not have the paper stuck to my mat very well (although I just sprayed it with the Spray Mount before putting my paper on the mat), or I may have had my pressure up too high. Because it cuts the outside shape first and when it started to cut the inside shapes, the paper moved on my mat. I would like to cut the inside shapes first, but not sure how to adjust the file so that it will do that. I'm wanting to do it all in Inkscape and Signcut. Is there some way I can modify the file to get it to cut the inside shapes first. OR is there a setting in Signcut that will cut the inside shapes first??

Thanks
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Cutting Inside shapes first

Postby Thyme » August 14th, 2011, 12:55 pm

The easiset way in my opinion is to use Path/Break apart. Then make the inside pieces a different colour to the outside. Now when you send it to Signcut you just just to cut the inside colour first.
Alternatively again use Break path in Inkscape, then send to the bottom the pieces you want to cut first, or send to the top the piece you want to cut last
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » August 14th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Well DUH... of course that would be the easy way to do it... LOL I'm still trying to learn Inkscape, and I keep forgetting all these things, and reasons to use them. I have used the Break Apart before, but never thought to use it to change the cutting order... but now I will remember that in the future.

Thanks Dawn.. will try that out and see how it works for me.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » August 14th, 2011, 1:06 pm

You're welcome
Thyme

Return to Signcut