Make the cut and vinyl roll cutting

Make the cut and vinyl roll cutting

Postby Meykillian » June 5th, 2013, 1:40 am

Hi, I had a Cricut machine and I finally upgraded to Silver Bullet 24", and I bought Make the Cut software to use with my Cricut once in a while (cause my kids were too little), but now my kids are more independent so I have more time to do what I like... And yesterday I got my new SB and I wanted to ask how can I cut a big vinyl project for a wall using my make the cut software? Since is too big to fit in my virtual mat which are the steps to do it? And how should I position the vinyl roll, load it in the machine and start cutting it? Please explain me very detailed and with complete words cause I'm still learning English and sometimes I have hard time reading shortcuts! ;)
*Mey Killian*
Meykillian

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: Make the cut and vinyl roll cutting

Postby Elizabeth » June 5th, 2013, 9:41 am

Hi Mey! Congrats on your new Silver Bullet! You can change your virtual mat size in MTC to whatever you like, by clicking the drop down menu shown here:
MTC capture.PNG

At the bottom of the drop down menu, you will see custom mat size.

If you are doing something larger than 24" wide, you can use the tiler feature in MTC. I have never used it, so I can't tell you how it works.

Hope this helps a little! Good luck!

Edited to add: You actually don't have to change your virtual mat size. MTC will allow you to cut off your mat. It will notify you with a pop up window so that you can allow it before cutting. This works with well with knife point cutting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Meykillian » June 5th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Thank you so much!
The project that I want to cut is 23 inche by 4 feet! But I still don't know how to place it in the program (the orientation) and the cutter!
*Mey Killian*
Meykillian

Postby Elizabeth » June 5th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Ok, so you will want portrait orientation in MTC so the 23" end feeds into the machine. There is a section in the SB learning center for Origin Point vs. WYSIWYG cutting. The information on where your design will cut is the same for MTC and SCAL.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Meykillian » June 5th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Thanks again!
*Mey Killian*
Meykillian

Postby Elizabeth » June 5th, 2013, 8:50 pm

No problem! Let us know how you are getting along. It can be a bit challenging at first, but it will all be routine for you in no time.

Elizabeth

Postby Meykillian » June 5th, 2013, 9:03 pm

You were really helpfull! Thanks again!
*Mey Killian*
Meykillian

Postby Angel135612 » June 6th, 2013, 7:46 am

I would suggest that you take some time to "play" and figure out how things are going to cut for you, before you start using your "good" vinyl. I can't tell you how many times people would want to cut something, think they knew how things were going to work and used their "good" paper, only to have it not turn out the way they thought it was going to and ruin all their good media. It is so valuable to take the time to do some testing BEFORE you start on a project, just to make sure everything is working as it should including that the blade will cut your media (and it hadn't gotten nicked since the last time you cut) that the pressure is adequate, and the speed isn't too fast or too slow and that things on the mat in the software will cut where you expect them too on the real mat. Sometimes a setting can get changed and we forget, or don't realize it, and it throws everything off.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby Meykillian » June 6th, 2013, 9:50 am

Thanks! I was playing a lot yesterday with pieces of paper and I was successful with Elizabeth's suggestions using the mat, but I still didn't start using my rolls of vinyl cause I still didn't know if For that big project I had to feed the machine from the front or the back of it, and also even if I know that I have to select the portrait orientation I don't know if I have to place the design starting from bottom to top or from top to bottom in the program..?! It's confusing still to me for a big project!
*Mey Killian*
Meykillian

Postby LisaH » June 6th, 2013, 10:07 am

You will always feed your vinyl from the back and set your knife point on the right corner of your vinyl, on the right side of your machine.(when you are facing the Silver Bullet)
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Meykillian » June 6th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Thanks Lisa! :)
*Mey Killian*
Meykillian

Return to Make The Cut!