A new SB 24" and 'old' version of MTC

Re: A new SB 24" and 'old' version of MTC

Postby soederg » May 27th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Elizabeth and Kim - Thanks!! I enjoy the input. I will be looking at this Rob/ScrappyDew link tomorrow. He is very good at what he does and I am sure it will be most helpful with SCAL.

Yes, the WYSIWYG just makes so much 'sense' to me, but is not necessarily yielding me the outcome I am thinking I will get. I just want to have it all figured out and working right - right now!! Haha!! (I hate having to test and try and take notes! But - am finding that is necessary.) Came a long way today in figuring out the correct Force for my paper and also that cutting at a slower speed actually gets me a better result. Also had to put some tape around my Click Blade so that I could grab it to sit up higher in the blade holder - the blade had been cutting across everything even on a setting of 1. I am also learning to move my mat a bit over to the left as the right side is curling up, which makes the blade cut along the right side of the mat.

Ohhhh - I know it will all work out. Just soon, I hope!
Gayle – Pray to have eyes that see the best in people, a heart that forgives
the worst, a mind that forgets the bad, and a soul that never loses faith in God.
soederg

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Angel135612 » May 27th, 2013, 4:54 pm

It is always easier to go to what you know, but there was a time when you didn't know MTC. :D I try to spend time learning a new software, when I don't have a project that needs to be done yesterday, and have some time to play around. Once I get comfortable with the new software, then I can choose which one I want to use, based on which one does what task better or easier. I think MTC is better for designing sometimes, because I'm more used to it. And it has a few things that SCAL does not. I also have been trying to learn Inkscape, and to me, it is easier to do things in there, than either MTC or SCAL, but when I was trying to learn it, it took forever to figure something out. So it is just what you are used to, and what you want to use.
Personally, I like having more than one software to use, so I can choose which ever one I want at any given time and which ever one does something the best.

Are you setting your blade holder with the setting tool that came with your SB?? You shouldn't need to use tape if you are using that, and have the blade set in the holder properly. (The tool is a piece of metal with a piece of white board on it, it is the correct height to set your holder in the machine and it makes a HUGE difference).
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » May 27th, 2013, 5:53 pm

I will say I thing the WYSIWYG is a thousand times easier and more accurate in SCAL then MTC.....it's super easy once you get the hang of just making your virtual mat the exactly same size as your piece medium you're cutting, engraving, manipulating.....

I've been using SCAL since it first came out...and I watched the videos Rob worked up the other day and I have to say I picked up some awesome tips from it as well....he's done such a wonderful job on the tutorials.......quick to the point and easy to remember!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby soederg » May 27th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Angel, Yes - I have used the blade level tool - but my blade was smack down on it (in it!) and once I put a piece of tape around the click blade holder and then used the tool - lifting my click blade holder up a tad - no more constant cutting of my medium. And this is with the blade set at '1.'

Penny - I will definitely compare the WYSIWYG in both SCAL and MTC to see which is friendlier with it. I had really been trying to use/learn SCAL and the WYSIWYG way, but since it did not seem to produce my desired results - I went back to MTC. And then tried the Origin cutting method with it.

You know - it was a price difference when I purchased MTC years ago instead of SCAL - caught a sale! And have used MTC ever since - so I know it well. At least for what I do with it! I also use Inkscape, but only to convert .jpgs to .svgs!! It IS very nice to have options!
the worst, a mind that forgets the bad, and a soul that never loses faith in God.
soederg

Postby Gigi » May 27th, 2013, 10:23 pm

I am confused - you shouldn't have to wrap tape around the click blade holder. I understand what you mean about the setting tool. If I put my click blade all the way down it hits the setting tool, so I pull it up just a bit so it doesnt scrape the setting tool and then tighten the holder clamp.

I always have my mats on the right side and have no curling - that is a little confusing to me as well.

I am surprised that you have better results cutting slower. Unless it is a delicate medium, most of us have much better results cutting at a faster speed. (this said from someone who use to think 100 was fast and now I cut just about everything at 700 or above!!

And I think cutting from origin is so much easier because you know exactly where your image is going to cut. But that's me. If you are comfortable with WYSIWYG, that is what matters the most.

Still confused about needing tape on the click blade holder. Will your clamp not tighten? It should hold it in place easily.

Glad you are figuring so much out so quickly!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby soederg » May 28th, 2013, 7:07 am

Hey Gigi! Well, I don't understand either about the click blade holder. The 'edge' (lip) of the red click blade holder when it is sitting in the blade holder and I tighten it - it doesn't lift up when moving across the paper (cardstock) - it leaves slight cut marks up/down/across, and when feeding the cardstock on the mat under the rollers with the blade all the way to the right - the blade leaves a cut mark down the side of the cardstock front to back. And this is all with a 'click' setting of 1. I see no way that the holder can be adjusted so I put one layer of painters tape around the click blade barrel and now it does not drag.

Re the curling mat - I am not sure about this, but the front table is bowed downward slightly - it is not flat/straight across. So, I don't know if that is what is causing the curling/slightly-lifting-upward edges or not. I lay it out flat with heavy books on the ends at night, but that does not flatten either side - they still curl up. (It almost looks as if it had been rolled at some point not long after it was made - maybe - and retained the rolled-up end shape - on both ends.) Nothing flattens either side.

When I say cutting slower - I mean at 700 instead of 800. At 800, when taking my individual pieces off the mat - they were still slightly attached in places around each piece. That's when I dropped down from 800 thinking the cuts would be more precise at a slower speed.

I don't know - perhaps it is the 'operator' and I am doing everything wrong here: the front table not being flat, rather 'dipped' down; I have had a difficult time getting the teeth to stay together - am using clear packing tape to keep them in place; and the mat bowing up on either end (clearly to me, though, it looks as if it had been rolled at some point and never lost that shape.) Unless that is how they are and I am misinterpreting the lifting. Here is a picture of the mat - right side. Left looks the same.

I am using the Origin cutting method more and more - just so very used to the WYSIWYG!

Any suggestions would be greatly received and appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soederg

Postby LisaH » May 28th, 2013, 7:29 am

Gayle, regarding the click blade holder - you should be able to loosen the screw slightly, lift the click blade holder slightly (where the shoulders of it are not touching the carriage clamp) and tighten the screw and it hold with no problems. The shoulders of any of the tools do not have to rest on the clamp. You can really tighten that screw...it needs to be pretty tight, not just tight...LOL (confused yet?) I will see if I can take a pic of mine and show you how mine looks...

Can you show a pic of your table connections (ends with the slots) from the top / end? That may help us to understand why they aren't holding in place and are bowing. I know mine, when correctly connected, have enough tension that they aren't going anywhere - as long as they are connected correctly and firmly.

**edited to add**
Okay, I'm back with a pic of my click holder in the clamp...
photo.JPG

If your screw will not tighten enough to hold it in place without any tape, then you need to email Sherri. Make sure you send pics of the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LisaH

Postby Angel135612 » May 28th, 2013, 8:00 am

Gayle, I agree with Lisa, the shoulder of the holder does not have to be all the way down in the clamp. If you put the tool with the white chipboard under where the blade goes, and set your tool in the clmap just until the blade tip touches the chipboard, then tighten the clamp, that should be the right height for the blade holder, and you shouldn't get any scratching of the paper when the head moves. When I put in my blade holder, I will hold the holder with one hand while it gently rests on the chipboard, and then tighten the clamp with the other... then slide the height setting tool out from under the blade gently, trying not to scratch the chipboard. If you scratch the chipboard too much, then you have your blade too low.

Not sure what to tell you about the curl of the mats. I haven't had that problem, so don't know how to fix it. You may want to send an email to Sherri to see if she has any suggestions for you.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby soederg » May 28th, 2013, 8:04 am

Hi, Angel - Your explanation is exactly the process I went through. When I first had put the chipboard underneath where the blade sits, the blade was - in essence - stuck in the chipboard! That was why I felt the click blade holder should be raised slightly - hence, my tape fix! (Didn't think I should mess with the screws to the left - but perhaps that is what I need to be doing!)
soederg

Postby LisaH » May 28th, 2013, 8:09 am

You should only have to tighten / loosen the thumb screw...NOT the ones to the back left...
LisaH

Postby soederg » May 28th, 2013, 9:22 am

Lisa - Oh good - didn't want to mess with the 'two' screws to the left! I have taken off the tape and lifted the cbholder - I thought it needed to rest on the clamp! Thanks for the photo. Now I will have to cut and see what is what!! :)
soederg

Postby LisaH » May 28th, 2013, 9:48 am

let us know how it works... ;)
LisaH

Postby Gigi » May 28th, 2013, 10:26 am

Thanks Lisa for doing a better job of explaining what I was trying to explain!! Your photo was great!!

I am puzzled by the tables not laying flat. I assume then are sitting the notches? I dont know why they wouldnt be flat. I would definitely contact Sherri about that.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby soederg » May 28th, 2013, 10:29 am

Lisa - With the Click Blade Holder - does the 'black dot' need to be facing any particular direction?
soederg

Postby soederg » May 28th, 2013, 10:54 am

The teeth - when I can get the front ones notched on one side - on that same side the teeth in the back lift up. When I get the teeth notched on the right side, the left side lifts up and out. I did e-mail Sherri and she suggested using clear packing tape, which I did - because without it they just pop if I breath on them. And no - the 'table' part is bowed downward - as is the 'crossbar' beneath the table - it is on the loose side and it bows from front to back - it is not straight across and rigid beneath the table. I really don't think pictures will do this justice in showing what I am experiencing. And the situation is the same with the back table as well. I have turned the 'table' part over and it still bows downward, which causes both ends - right and left to lift up (Could be why my mat is lifting on the right and left sides!!)
soederg

Postby LisaH » May 28th, 2013, 1:05 pm

it doesn't matter which direction the "dot" faces...I guess if you are super annoyed by the direction, you can turn it whatever way suits your fancy...mine - I just put in however...LOL

On your tables...just a thought...switch the front table (not the arms) to the back and the back to the front...mine seem to like one better than the other on my 24" - my 15" has no "preference". I also have to firmly push the teeth together to make them lock in place, which in turn, makes my cross support become pretty rigid.
LisaH

Postby Gigi » May 28th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Just a thought.........the support bars for the front and back ARE different. (just checked the learning center to be sure!) Are you positive you didn't accidentally mix them up? That is the only reason I can think that the tables are not sitting level. You might want to start over and see if switching them out makes a difference......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » May 28th, 2013, 3:21 pm

On the arms of the tables...if I'm not wrong (someone correct me if I am)...there is a tiny hole next to the screw hole on the back supports, and not on the front ones. (it's that way on my 15" tables & my 24" tables) So that would be an easy way to look first and see without changing everything. If you need a pic, I can take one and upload.
LisaH

Postby soederg » May 28th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Thank you both - I painstakingly took my time when the SB first arrived - put the tables on with the Learning Center info, starting with the back. And, yes - the pinholes are both on the support arms on the backside. (Sherri asked me that this a.m., too.) I have taken these things apart and totally off and started all over again. And I have flipped the tables themselves. And, also, on neither front nor back table does the crosswise support bar connect with the underneath of the table - in other words, it is not providing any support other than in the center because the table is dipping down in the middle - so the crossbar is shaky. I have another set enroute and will know soon if this is just an out-of-the-ordinary set I have OR if it is me :roll: Though I don't believe it is me! :D But it certainly could be.
soederg

Postby LisaH » May 28th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Good to know! Sherri is such a great person...and beyond compare on customer support. It will be interesting to see what comes of it with the new tables... ;)
LisaH

PreviousNext

Return to Make The Cut!