A new SB 24" and 'old' version of MTC

Re: A new SB 24" and 'old' version of MTC

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Thanks, Gigi~

And thanks to all for the great info re MTC / SCAL - and how to convert/utilize what I have and not lose anything.

What a great group :grouphug: Gayle
Gayle – Pray to have eyes that see the best in people, a heart that forgives
the worst, a mind that forgets the bad, and a soul that never loses faith in God.
soederg

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Angel135612 » May 16th, 2013, 7:49 pm

YEAH!!!! On getting your machine today.. you are going to have so much fun with it.
I would suggest that you set it up to be able to cut with either MTC or SCAL, that way, you can use which ever software is more convenient for you at the time.

I need to work on getting my files organized, but my computer isn't near my tv, so I can't work on it while watching tv... and when I am on my computer, I spend way too much time reading the different groups I'm on.. so don't get much done... LOL
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » May 16th, 2013, 7:58 pm

While watching TV, I just finished converting all my Silhouette Studio files into SVG files. I love buying one cut file at a time in the Silhouette store. At least I got one thing done. LOL. I have just been too tired each evening after doing all my "gotta do" stuff, so I haven't been too crafty. I am in the middle of doing another card for my Sister in Law...sorry but my camera is at my house and not at Dad's so no pics. I have been taking pics of my house to sell. Staging a house is hard work!!! It means I have to clean up every room of "extra" stuff and my craft room was a job. Plus I have been sidetracked trying to learn how to do those little mini albums, like I really need to find something else to work on, but they seem so interesting. I think I may give it a try for my nieces and nephews' little ones. We will see.

Anyway, there is a way to convert most files to cut them with your cutter. SVG is the best way to save files so that you can use with many different softwares.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Kim - Hooray for you!! A 'chore' out of the way!

I, too, have just gotten our house ready to sell. Staging is a pain, but really worth it in the end. I guess! :O

As far as saving in a particular way - who knew? I've kept a lot of my .svg files, but use my MTC files so frequently and have individual files (I make 3D paper flowers) saved according to flower/flower size (numbered/named) - and how many layers needed per flower!! I'm just so happy that now I know what to do to be able to use all my files with the SB and SCAL. :D It took some time to set them each up this way, but helps when I go to cut.

Going forward, however, will be different as far as not saving as a MTC file. Yikes!!
the worst, a mind that forgets the bad, and a soul that never loses faith in God.
soederg

Postby kim » May 16th, 2013, 8:13 pm

I'll give you my MTC files to convert!!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: Like you, I saved all of my files as MTC and that really will be a chore for me one day. You can still cut your MTC files just as they are on the SB.....it's only if you want to use a different software that you need the SVG file. I will say that what I have seen of SCAL, it does cut better and it also handles large files easily. That has always been my problem with MTC....when I try to do engraving files or rhinestone files, MTC stops working. Very aggravating when it stops in the middle of cutting/engraving and ruins the whole project. Waste of material/money and time.
kim

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Kim - you know, I had that very problem today. Of course, I was using my Cricut, but with MTC. I created a couple of new flowers and every time I tried to cut the Cricut would either not start at all or would freeze after one flower and indicate something like there being 20,000 . . . points to cut! Well, some of these new files have actual less 'points' than my older files - and my older files cut beautifully and don't freeze up. Me thinks old Cricut just knew SB was being delivered today and decided to be a bigger pain than usual!!!

Well, after playing with SCAL today I think I want to give it a try - but just glad I can still use the MTC if my learning curve is a little longer than I anticipate! :ROFLMBO:
soederg

Postby kim » May 16th, 2013, 8:37 pm

You can design in MTC and then export as a SVG file and then use SCAL to cut. THat is what I do sometimes...okay, more oft than not. LOL. I am still comfortable with MTC and still trying to find my way around SCAL, so when pressed for time, I just design in MTC and cut in SCAL.
kim

Postby tory » May 16th, 2013, 9:20 pm

I own both MTC and SCAL (also ECAL which is SCAL for Eclips). I really fo prefer using MTC. So much so that I purchased my Cougar to use MTC exclusively as the Eclips does not cut from any software other than ECAL.

I find I can accomplish so much more with MTC, possibly because of their Webinars. Andy, the owner, has really great customer support and the forum is more active than SCAL's. Leave yourself open on any software decisions.

Kathe
tory

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby kim » May 16th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Yes, MTC has some features that I haven't found in SCAL. I learned MTC from back when Andy just released the software and "grew" with the software. The only issue that I have had with MTC has been the memory issue....as I tend to like really node-y files :ROFLMBO: and MTC just won't handle them. I also had SCAL way back when and found it difficult to learn (that and Inkscape at the same time YIKES) and that is when I found MTC. I will say that SCAL has improved tremenously in user ability (or maybe I have learned) and has really made great strides in trying to accomodate many of our wants and needs. I haven't tried the SCAL forum but I guess I should. I pretty much stay on this forum and occassionally visit the MTC forum. If I would stay off the forum, maybe I would get more crafting done, but then I get so many ideas from the forum. :ROFLMBO:
kim

Postby Tyler » May 16th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Angel135612 wrote:Some people have a problem exporting their MTC files as an SVG and opening it in SCAL and the file being a different size. Yes, you can just resize it in SCAL, but depending on the file, that may not be as easy as it would seem to be. However, if you export to a Vector PDF file from MTC, you can open that in SCAL and it will come in at the same size.

Just wanted to point this out to show you that there is always more than one way to do things. While I have MTC and use it from time to time to design in, I prefer to cut using SCAL.
There are things that you can do in MTC that isn't available in SCAL, or Inkscape (or I haven't figured out how to do it in Inkscape) and if I still have a few files that are MTC, I just convert them as I need to use them. When I buy or save new files, I always save them now as either an SVG or Vector PDF.

You can adjust this by going to the Sure Cuts A Lot Preferences and under the General tab, change the DPI from 72 to 90. That should make it more accurate. SCAL, by default, sets its DPI according to Adobe Illustrator whereas MTC, by default, sets it to Inkscape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby soederg » May 19th, 2013, 4:29 pm

I've downloaded the KNK plugin. I am in MTC, which KNK 'model' do I choose as cutting with? The Maxx Air?

Though, now - ha! - I am back to the orientation thing. I created a mat 12 x 24 and in Landscape it shows the virtual mat with the 'entering' arrow of the long side going into the SB. However when I indicate 'cut' the thumbnail is showing a different picture of where my file is situated on the mat - indicating the mat is going in lengthwise (24" front to back, instead) - and then it does not cut anyway.

Should I be choosing a different KNK cutter within the MTC listing, that is?
soederg

Postby Angel135612 » May 19th, 2013, 6:01 pm

When I use MTC, I used the MAXX. I haven't downloaded any new drivers for it lately, so if it has MAXX AIR, then you can probably use that one. Make sure your Baud Rate shows 38,400 that is usually where people have the problem. Let us know if that fixed it for you.

The problem with what direction the mat goes in vs what is shown, is what has always confused me with MTC. In SCAL I don't feel nearly as confused with the way the mat is going into the machine vs what I want it to look like which is another reason I tend to use SCAL more than MTC for cutting.

I think, and this is just my opinion, the virtual mats in MTC are still based on the Cricut machines, and because of the way they are made, the mat can only go in with the arrow on the short end. So this would be a good reason to do the testing with the pen tool and take notes of your settings, so you know where something is going to cut with different mats, orentations etc...
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby soederg » May 19th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Thanks, Angel - now that I have my pen tester taped to fit the blade holder and up and running - that is what I am getting into. Great advice!

And taking notes and some screen shots for my edification.

I think you may be right regarding MTC and the mat orientation being connected to the Cricut configuration! Because, even though I have created a custom 'Landscape' (with machine entry arrow showing on the 24" side and facing up) MTC mat with 24" being the width and 12" being the length' - the thumbnail tells a totally different story.

I don't want to get hung up on the MTC mat issue so I have begun the 'tedious!' process of exporting/saving my MTC files to a different format. Uggh! But - I am liking SCAL so far with my limited use of it and I know I will be fine and happy once this formatting is completed. Just so many files!!!! :roll:

Since I tend to be an organized person by nature, I probably won't do much cutting until my files are converted and in order!! Sometimes I hate that I am that way - but, hey - it's how I'm wired!! :ROFLMBO:
soederg

Postby SBryanW » May 20th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Angel135612 wrote:Some people have a problem exporting their MTC files as an SVG and opening it in SCAL and the file being a different size. ...

When importing a svg file created by MTC into SCAL, make sure you have the DPI set to 90, not 72.
SBryanW

Postby allandra42 » May 21st, 2013, 10:21 am

Good to know Bryan thanks!
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby soederg » May 21st, 2013, 6:19 pm

Well - not that I have made great strides in learning, but - I have to say - using the pen tool is wonderful!! :excited: And with the husband out-of-town I can really put some thought into the orientation of the mat within the different software programs - along with how the numbers on the mat are vs. how the virtual mat's numbers are in conjunction with placement!!! As well as how to fit 3 8.5 x 11 sheets across the 24" mat, but stop my patterns far enough in from the left :banghead: so the blade assembly doesn't bump that far side and stop cutting - and also does not draw/cut a pattern across two sheets!! :ROFLMBO: All in a day's work :D And I have even started to convert my files to both .svg and .pdf!!
soederg

Postby LisaH » May 21st, 2013, 6:52 pm

Sounds to me Gayle, that you and your newest buddy are getting along superbly! ;)
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby soederg » May 27th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Well - Happy Memorial Day! Here I am - 11 days into 'learning' my SB! I have been converting files :excited: and trying to cut without errors :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: Although I have been making a true effort to learn/use SCAL, I am strongly drawn back to MTC because that is what I know. And - finally - I think I am seeing the merits of Origin Point cutting. I am so used to pulling up one of my files in MTC and cutting brainlessly, that I really don't understand how the WYSIWYG cutting does not come out - most of the time - for me!!! So frustrating because I am such a stickler about the 'math' part of it all - size of the individual pieces within a file of multiple pieces and all of them fitting within a particular sized frame and then placing my paper on the cutting mat correspondingly. And then - NO!!, one of the pieces is off the paper. Aaarrgghh!! :banghead: Which, in the end, is why I end up going back to MTC - and now using the Origin Point cutting. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :roll: I know this will get easier, but I WANT IT NOW!!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
soederg

Postby Elizabeth » May 27th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Hi Gayle. Glad you are finding time to learn your machine/software. For WYSIWYG cutting in SCAL, I make my virtual mat the size of my paper, lay out my cuts, and then set the blade at the bottom right corner of my paper. Mine works very accurately this way. I only use WYSIWYG if I am using my pen tool, in conjunction with the blade, or when engraving. It works like a charm for me. I also use MTC, and design in it a lot. But for cutting, I prefer SCAL.

Rob from Scrappy Dew had done a lot of really good beginner's videos for SCAL recently. I am finding them really helpful. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0NmJBwP1K6kjK0HUfH5ZUg
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby kim » May 27th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Gayle, I'm like you. I find myself always going back to what I know....MTC. But I just watched the videos that Rob at ScrappyDew did and they are awesome. I learned so much. Now for the hard part....remember it all. LOL. I finally got used to the knife point cutting but I always did the WYSIWYG because it made sense to me. You are doing great on learning your machine. Keep it up!
kim

PreviousNext

Return to Make The Cut!