A new SB 24" and 'old' version of MTC

A new SB 24" and 'old' version of MTC

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Greetings! I am new here. Awaiting - actually any minute - the delivery of my SB 24" - excited!

However, I am a Make the Cut user - never updated my Cricut firmware since 'the' lawsuit and never updated my MTC software. I have many, many, many MTC cut files which I use all the time. I am happy to give SCAL a try - always been interested, but I need to know how to use my MTC cut files with the SB - converting them to SCAL (and how to do that)? and/or just keep cutting my current .MTC cut files with the new SB.

I do have the newest MTC software on another PC and know how to save it on my main PC with a different name so I don't lose my ability to use the Cricut and the old MTC!!!

Mentally I am freaking out :excited: that I will be unable to use all of my MTC files.

I've been going through the tutorials while awaiting 'delivery!' but have not come across what I am needing to know - can they be converted in SCAL OR can I cut all of my current MTC files with the SB?

Does anyone have directional info for me - where to learn what I need to know?! Thanks in advance if you do! Gayle
soederg

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: A new SB 24" and 'old' version of MTC

Postby LisaH » May 16th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Welcome and congrats on your new "baby"!!

All you have to do is convert the files to svg files (save as/export as) and you can use them with SCAL or MTC...

on MTC you will need to download the Black Cat plugin / KNK plug in to make it communicate. Andy hasn't updated the driver in forever, so there is no Silver Bullet driver/plugin to make it work better.

That's why a lot of us use SCAL - it has a current driver for the Silver Bullet and cuts smoother (to me) than MTC. If you are comfortable with MTC, by all means use it, but I would learn SCAL just as a backup program...you never know when something might happen and you NEED that other program! LOL You can always design in MTC if you are more comfortable using it and then save as an svg file and open in SCAL to cut.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Lisa - Thank you so much!! I just gave that a shot and it worked!! Who knew?! (Never tried it before - never had a reason.)

Thank you, thank you - I feel much better now. I know I had been told it could be done, but had not actually gone thru the short and sweet process.

:bighug:
Gayle – Pray to have eyes that see the best in people, a heart that forgives
the worst, a mind that forgets the bad, and a soul that never loses faith in God.
soederg

Postby LisaH » May 16th, 2013, 3:54 pm

You are more than welcome! LOL See...no freaking out necessary... ;)
LisaH

Postby kmmhug » May 16th, 2013, 3:57 pm

If you want to keep using MTC with your SB that will work just fine. Don't bother with the Cougar Plug in use the KNK one instead as it is a much better one and he updated it recently. I love MTC but am pretty annoyed that he is not seeming to update any non KNK machine plug in lately. I fear that in time it may become a KNK only software so I have stopped saving my files as MTC and now save all files as SVG. I travel with a SIL. so I convert those files to SVG as well. That way all files will work in all software I own. I have MTC, SCAL, and DE.

Congratulations on your purchase, I am sure you will love it!
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby LisaH » May 16th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Thanks Kathy ;)
LisaH

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Kathy - thanks for your info, too!

Wow - the SB users are wonderful support. Gayle :bighug:
the worst, a mind that forgets the bad, and a soul that never loses faith in God.
soederg

Postby kim » May 16th, 2013, 4:20 pm

I still use MTC as my primary software. I just know it so well. I am trying to learn SCAL :). Well, anyway..I have a ton of MTC files. I just use the KNK plugin and cut away. When I use a file, I just export it as an SVG file so that hopefully I will convert all my files to use with any software. One day when I don't have anything better to do, I may just sit and covert my files. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Angel135612 » May 16th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Some people have a problem exporting their MTC files as an SVG and opening it in SCAL and the file being a different size. Yes, you can just resize it in SCAL, but depending on the file, that may not be as easy as it would seem to be. However, if you export to a Vector PDF file from MTC, you can open that in SCAL and it will come in at the same size.

Just wanted to point this out to show you that there is always more than one way to do things. While I have MTC and use it from time to time to design in, I prefer to cut using SCAL.
There are things that you can do in MTC that isn't available in SCAL, or Inkscape (or I haven't figured out how to do it in Inkscape) and if I still have a few files that are MTC, I just convert them as I need to use them. When I buy or save new files, I always save them now as either an SVG or Vector PDF.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 4:22 pm

:ROFLMBO: Ha! I hear ya - I am contemplating just starting with my first and moving on down the line until complete!

I don't want to have to think about it later and stop and convert, etc. - I just want to cut when I want to cut!! Spoiled!!
soederg

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Angel - Again, thanks for this new information. Everything is so helpful to me. I have to re-think about how I save any new files and where to go with the ones I have. A whole new world opening up.

Thanks! :)
soederg

Postby PennyDuncan » May 16th, 2013, 4:29 pm

I know you are getting SUPER excited about your new toy coming in!!! You are going to LOVE IT!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Hi, Penny!! Yes I am!! I keep looking out front to see where the darn Fedex truck is :) Doesn't she know what she has for me?!? Ha! :ROFLMBO:
soederg

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Angel - I just tried the Vector PDF save as well - and tada! it worked for me. Guess I must be doing something right. Thank heaven!

I had always wanted to give the SCAl a try - when I bought MTC the price (excellent sale at the time) is what mostly drove my decision.

Today is the first day I have opened up SCAL and have now imported a couple of files and gone through all the Toolbar Tabs and played around. I have the mat to the orientation I like and - having used MTC for so long and also with being familiar with MS Publisher (after years of use) I feel very comfortable with SCAL.

Oh - it is indeed a good day! Now if Fedex would just get here! :ROFLMBO:
soederg

Postby kim » May 16th, 2013, 4:42 pm

I stalked my FedEx guy! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
kim

Postby kmmhug » May 16th, 2013, 4:44 pm

I just systematically converted them all while watching TV with the family in the evening. It was a large project but worth it to me as now all my files work in all my softwares. New files either are SVG or are immediately converted to make life simple for me.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Too funny! Well, my Fedex driver's ears must have been burning because: she just delivered it - hooray!

Well, now I have some serious learning to do - what fun! :D
soederg

Postby soederg » May 16th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Kathy - Yes, I see myself watching TV and doing the same. Just get it done, one at a time. I live by organization in my life and that is definitely what my inner self needs to be happy :) having all those files converted.
soederg

Postby kim » May 16th, 2013, 5:12 pm

holler if you need us!!! and have fun!!!
kim

Postby Gigi » May 16th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Congrats on getting your machine. You will love it. And glad you are beginning to convert your files. There are so many helpful people here. Just holler as you have questions!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Next

Return to Make The Cut!