Writing on the wall?

Writing on the wall?

Postby kmmhug » July 17th, 2012, 12:30 pm

I have used MTC for years, back with my cricut originally and now with my cougar and silhouette, however, I am detecting a lot of unrest and undertones at MTC and that combined with the fact that Andy is not updating the drivers and that Cougar now comes with SCAL makes me wonder if I will end up needing to switch.....

If that happens, is there a easy way to convert my massive stock of files from MTC to SVG or will I have to do them each one, one at a time? Can I convert an entire folder? I am afraid I already know the answer to this, but I hope that I am wrong.....
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Re: Writing on the wall?

Postby Thyme » July 17th, 2012, 1:34 pm

I'm sorry but you will need to do each one individually, I know of no method of converting a folder of them
Thyme

Postby Retta » July 17th, 2012, 1:52 pm

I hope you are wrong too. I have the same issues with GSD to SVG. What I have done, is just converted as I needed to saving each one in the same file folder. Fortunately, changing from MTC to SVG is much easier than GSD to SVG. I have also found, I may never use some of them soon, so changing them over isn't as urgent as I thought. Hope that encourages you a bit.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby PennyDuncan » July 17th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Yeah that's what I would suggest Retta.......would be much easier.......You know I never really save the files in the MTC or SCAL formats....I just save them in SVG that way I find it easier to user quicker....Just a thought......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kmmhug » July 17th, 2012, 2:39 pm

That is what I have started doing Penny since I found on either this board or the other BC one a SVG viewer program. Previously I had saved everything into MTC since that way I could see the files not just the names in the program....Sigh...I hate the idea of switching and I hope I am wrong and I never have to but it does seem worrisome...

Do you guys feel this undercurrent there? Maybe it is just my imagination....
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby Suzan » July 17th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I would just export out the ones you want. or need take it slow and easy. And yes SCAL is awesome.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby kmmhug » July 17th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Did you find it hard to switch over? Or have you always been a SCAL user?
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby Retta » July 17th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I haven't used SCAL 3 to cut, but have put my SVG's into that format. That has been really easy. I think with the changes that are being made with this program, it is going to really excel!!! Each program has it's advantages.
Retta

Postby kmmhug » July 17th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Do you have to convert to SCAL files to use SCAL or can I just keep all files in SVG and use them in SCAL along with my other programs? Currently I use MTC the most, but I also do use SD, and Inkscape with signcut at times....
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby Thyme » July 17th, 2012, 3:51 pm

You can just keep them all as svg, that's what I do
Thyme

Postby kmmhug » July 17th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Oh good, if I do switch, I do not want to get into this spot again with other software!
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby Retta » July 17th, 2012, 4:36 pm

SVG - are the most useful as they can be brought into most of the programs.
Retta

Postby Gigi » July 17th, 2012, 4:43 pm

I agree - I save everything as an svg - makes all of my programs happy (most of the time!!)

Ready to start learning SCAL!! I think there will be a lot of us out a new software - love the challenge - as long as I have the time!! :hide:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Suzan » July 17th, 2012, 5:13 pm

You and me both Gigi.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » July 17th, 2012, 8:12 pm

kmmhug, I agree with every one else, I think if you save your files as SVGs then no matter which program you choose to work in, you should be able to import them. I started out using SCAL, wasn't real happy with it, switched to MTC, and used that almost exclusively. I decided I wanted to learn Inkscape, and I have been taking it a little at a time, just trying to learn one or two things to start with. I'm by no means an expert with Inkscape, but I can do pretty much anything I need to do with that program now. There are times it is easier to do something in MTC, and I will open my SVG in there, do what I need to do, then export it as an SVG and take it back to Inkscape. I use Signcut to cut with exclusively, and just find it so much easier to use than MTC. I will be getting SCAL 3 soon, as it is coming with my new Silver Bullet (which should be here tomorrow.. YEAH!!!) I'm looking forward to checking it out and seeing how much it has improved since the first version.
I would probably not try to convert all your files at once, unless you really have nothing better to do :D
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » July 17th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Lost my earlier post again....Dang! Okay, let's see if I can remember the gist of it. LOL.

I keep most of my files in SVG format, but have quite a few files that were only available as MTC. But when given a choice, I always choose SVG as that is more universally used. And, yes, I will have to convert each of the MTC files to SVG when I decide to completely switch over. I like MTC, but am getting really tired of the mess at the MTC forum (and I do know that just because I am upset at the forum doesn't mean that I have to give up MTC).

As far as the undercurrents, yes, I have noticed that for quite some time. Everytime I post anything about BC, someone has to come on about KNK this, KNK that or just plain being ugly and the discussion gets deleted. I feel like the stepchild that they are trying to hide in the basement. I bought MTC almost at the beginning and have been supportive of them in buying the software for several friends and family and a few donations, only to be left out in the cold just because I own a BC and told that BC owners DO NOT support MTC. I really resented that statement! So......I will no longer support them although I may still use the program until I can be up and running on something else. I'm tired of the immaturity of how some things are handled and tired of being bulldozed by the KNK team. The MTC forum now gives me the deja vu of the PC fiasco.

(Sigh) I feel better now! LOL.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby kmmhug » July 19th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Kim, I guess I am not the only one feeling that way lately. I am sure KNK are nice machines, but instead of it being a forum for MTC it is feeling like a forum for KNK and all other brands are not so very welcome any longer....I have been with MTC almost from the beginning and even choose to purchase a new machine partly just to ensure I could continue to cut what I wanted to cut and not be limited to cartridges. I was relatively happy with my C until they made me choose. I hated that C did that but now I am starting to feel the same way again and if I have to choose between my MTC and my Cougar, MTC will lose this time. My Cougar has opened up a whole new world of cutting and I am not looking back!

I have decided to start slowly doing conversions into SVG mainly at night when watching TV with my son. Normally I am cruising around the internet dropping by lots of places and I am going to spend at least some of that time each evening slowly working thru the 1000's of files. I have some that I know I will never use from early days when I downloaded ever free file I could find....I will be moving only those I actually like or feel will be useful and getting it all neatly organized. We have a trip to Colorado coming up soon and I think my laptop will go in the car with me as that time spent traveling there will be a great time to work on those files as well...
Kathy
kmmhug

Postby kim » July 20th, 2012, 1:02 am

I'm the same way....I chose MTC over my C, but I will choose my BC over MTC. I've never bashed KNK or said anything remotely negative about any cutter other than the C. I guess I expected too much to expect the same of others. I just figured that everyone had different criteria and therefore needed different cutters than I did and thought that the other cutters were great in their own way. If someone posted that they had decided on a KNK, I didn't try to dissuade them from their decision, but just congratulated them and helped in any way I could. So I resented it when someone would overun a discussion when someone had decided on a BC. ANd this isn't only against the BC, but I've seen it with other cutters too. Someone posted about deciding to get a Cameo, only to be told that the KNK was better, etc. I think it is rude and insulting. If someone is trying to decide between two or more and welcomes opinions, then that is the time to state your opinions about your cutter and your experiences. But that hasn't been happening and has made the forum to be a very unhappy and stressful place to be. Some people really aren't cut out to be BC owners...it's too much machine for them. Same with a KnK. I recommend what I think is best for that person when they state what they are looking for. Sometimes I recommend the BC and sometimes I recommend the Cameo. Just trying to sell a cutter to make more money, even though you know that the person neither wants or needs that much machine is just wrong. That's why I love Sherri and Dawn so much....their primary focus is in making the customer happy, not making a sale.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby PennyDuncan » July 20th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Perfectly said Kim!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kmmhug » July 31st, 2012, 11:59 am

Yes, everytime it seems to settle down some and I think maybe this will pass, it flares back up. The latest was with Pazzle. I wonder if it is just because A and A are in another lawsuit and feel very edgy as a result? Maybe since they are worried about the future they see everything as a threat? Honestly if they limit themselves to only KNK machines in the future, I would think that would be a massive income hit. The more machines you work with the bigger the potential market... Lately Ann has seemed very snippy and I never used to think she sounded that way....

I have been working on moving all MTC back to SVG's and it is a daunting task indeed. We leave Friday for a road trip to Colorado so I am planning to take the computer with me in the car and work while I am stuck in the car for the 24 or so hour drive each way. Hopefully that will get me a significant portion of the way thru them, but I must say I have so many thousands of files that it just seems never ending. I have been thinning them as I move them as well so that adds some time, but no sense in moving things I know I will never use. I went thru a time when I downloaded every free file to save and some of them I have no interest in. Fortunately I got more discerning quickly and the bulk of them I do like and would use.
Kathy
kmmhug

Next

Return to Make The Cut!