MTC - Cougar plug-in question

MTC - Cougar plug-in question

Postby cbauer50 » March 22nd, 2012, 1:58 pm

I have been using the KNK plug-in in MTC - but have been playing with the Cougar plug-in. I like it better because I can actually set my speed/pressure through the software (I have no luck with setting it through the software with the KNK plug-in - the speed always goes to 1!)

Can someone explain the difference between the Cutting Offset settings - the WYSIWYG and the Laser Registration when I use the Cougar plug-in? The WYSISYG setting doesn't seem to work the same way as it does with the KNK plug-in.

Maybe I need to update the Cougar plug-in ??? or re-install it. I can't seem to find it on MTC's site.

Thanks.

Carol
cbauer50

Re: MTC - Cougar plug-in question

Postby rachellann » March 22nd, 2012, 2:45 pm

with the BC plug in in MTC you have to have your starting laser light two inches from the right edge of your paper where as you set the laser on the front right corner.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby cbauer50 » March 22nd, 2012, 3:35 pm

ahh! I didn't know that!

So when I use WYSIWYG, I set the laser light 2" to the left edge of my paper.

When I use the Laser registration, I set it at the bottom edge, along the right side edge of my paper?

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Carol
cbauer50

Postby rachellann » March 22nd, 2012, 6:37 pm

cbauer50 wrote:ahh! I didn't know that!

So when I use WYSIWYG, I set the laser light 2" to the left edge of my paper.

When I use the Laser registration, I set it at the bottom edge, along the right side edge of my paper?

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Carol

when using the BC plgin it is 2" from the right edge of your paper.
even when using the laser settings it is two inches from the right edge of the paper
what it is basically telling the program this is the starting of your paper. so wysiwyg should be as it is seen on the screenand then when using the laser setting you are basically telling the program that is a starting point very close to being the same so if you set your laser say 6 inches from the right you are telling the maching to cut laser meaning to start where you are telliung it that is the beginning of your paper.
rachellann

Postby Gigi » March 22nd, 2012, 7:04 pm

Carol - I just have a question - out of curiosity.

You really prefer to set your pressure and speed in the software? Only asking because I so much prefer using the machine so I can stand right there and readjust it as needed. I guess that is why there are options - I was just puzzled why you preferred the software. I guess it would be convenient if you were cutting the same materials all the time, but since you have to feed the paper in anyway......

Just wondering if there is something I am missing!! Always like knowing why.........:) :banghead:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby rachellann » March 22nd, 2012, 7:38 pm

CAGigi wrote:Carol - I just have a question - out of curiosity.

You really prefer to set your pressure and speed in the software? Only asking because I so much prefer using the machine so I can stand right there and readjust it as needed. I guess that is why there are options - I was just puzzled why you preferred the software. I guess it would be convenient if you were cutting the same materials all the time, but since you have to feed the paper in anyway......

Just wondering if there is something I am missing!! Always like knowing why.........:) :banghead:

the setting in the software seem off and have always been a pain for me. many will tell you seeting them on the machine give far better results then in the software. but please do what you are comfortable with and what works for you.
rachellann

Postby cbauer50 » March 22nd, 2012, 7:54 pm

The reason I like to set the pressure/speed in the software is because I am cutting a lot of vinyl stick figures and wall quotes. I cut the vinyl (using pressure of 1 - yes, 1) it cuts the image and a rectangle around it.

I then remove the mat, weed it, apply my transfer tape and put it back in the machine (line up using the laser), change my pressure to 150 and cut another rectangle which is just slightly smaller than the 1st rectangle. I have a nicely cut decal by doing it that way.

If I set the pressure on the machine, it seems like it takes forever to keep having to change the pressure from 1 to 150, then back down to 1 again for the next decal. If I were just cutting all of the same thing, then I would probably do it on the machine, but since this is what I am cutting 90% of the time, it is such a time-saver for me to do it in the software.

That is the reason I like using the software settings. I haven't had any problems using the settings in the cougar plug-in, but no luck using those with the KNK plug-in.

So - that's my reason for doing it that way.

Carol
cbauer50

Postby rachellann » March 22nd, 2012, 8:06 pm

cbauer50 wrote:The reason I like to set the pressure/speed in the software is because I am cutting a lot of vinyl stick figures and wall quotes. I cut the vinyl (using pressure of 1 - yes, 1) it cuts the image and a rectangle around it.

I then remove the mat, weed it, apply my transfer tape and put it back in the machine (line up using the laser), change my pressure to 150 and cut another rectangle which is just slightly smaller than the 1st rectangle. I have a nicely cut decal by doing it that way.

If I set the pressure on the machine, it seems like it takes forever to keep having to change the pressure from 1 to 150, then back down to 1 again for the next decal. If I were just cutting all of the same thing, then I would probably do it on the machine, but since this is what I am cutting 90% of the time, it is such a time-saver for me to do it in the software.

That is the reason I like using the software settings. I haven't had any problems using the settings in the cougar plug-in, but no luck using those with the KNK plug-in.

So - that's my reason for doing it that way.

Carol

yes it sounds like setting them in the software are working well for you and would hate to try and have you change something that is working. the only way to set force and speed with the KNK plgin is to make sure you have it set to knk maxx and with that one you can set it in the software and it is very simular to bc you would have to find the settings that work for you tho as they are slightly different.
rachellann

Postby cbauer50 » March 22nd, 2012, 8:17 pm

yes it sounds like setting them in the software are working well for you and would hate to try and have you change something that is working. the only way to set force and speed with the KNK plgin is to make sure you have it set to knk maxx and with that one you can set it in the software and it is very simular to bc you would have to find the settings that work for you tho as they are slightly different.

I've tried numerous times to use the KNK plugin (the Maxx), but the speed always goes to 1 and you know how slow that cuts when it is set to 1! LOL I don't think the pressure goes to what I set it at in the software either. I'm just happy that the cougar plugin is working for me. I was confused with the WYSIWYG & the Laser Registration setting. I didn't realize you had to set it 2" from the right edge of the paper/media. I didn't have to do that with the KNK Maxx I had. And the KNK plugin has a "knife point" setting in it - which the cougar plug-in doesn't have. I guess I can still use the KNK plug-in when I cut other things.

Carol
cbauer50

Postby Gigi » March 22nd, 2012, 10:10 pm

Thanks Carol - I was just curious and it makes total sense. I appreciate your taking the time to explain.

I just hold the button down and it seems to go fast for me, but my ranges are not as wide as yours - usually just going up or down 20-50 points.

Thanks again - I get it!!:)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby cbauer50 » March 22nd, 2012, 10:33 pm

It gets kind of tedious when you have to go from 1 to 150 (even holding it down) and then back down to 1 every few minutes. That's why I love doing it in the software. When I do 10-15 decals in a row - it saves me so much time. I know it probably sounds so minor - but for me it really helps.

I hope I explained it well enough so it makes sense.

Carol
cbauer50

Postby Gigi » March 22nd, 2012, 11:16 pm

Yes you did - absolutely! Thank you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » March 23rd, 2012, 8:01 am

I was wondering the same thing, Gigi, and Carol, you explanation makes perfect sense. I will tuck this info away for the future. I don't do multiples all that often, but when I do, I enjoy finding ways to be more efficient.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Make The Cut!