quilting template question........

quilting template question........

Postby pigtailpat » September 28th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Hey everyone........

I purchased what is known as a curve master foot for my sewing machine. It is supposed to help sewing dreaded curves.

So I wanted to give myself some practice at curves. I am NOT seeking to do a whole quilt of drunkard's path - no no no no. Rather, I wanted to give myself a little practice at curves. Essentially, all a drunkard's path is - it is a quarter circle cut out of a square - that's it.

Now I have two options, I could simply cut either chipboard or quilters plastic and use that as a template to cut the fabric - - or - - cut the fabric itself. I am leaning towards cutting either chipboard or the cheap quilters' plastic and using that to cut to the fabric - as the heat and bond stuff is not cheap. Since this is just practice, this is my thought process. The heat and bond (and I do want to try the wonder under stuff at some future date) is best reserved for a real project.

So I prepared a file that is basically a quarter circle cut out of square. Could someone look at the file to tell me if I am on the right path (hahah pun definitely intended)..just accurate enough for practice work at curves??? I'd like to give the curvemaster foot a work out over the weekend..

Thanks a bunch in advance.........

Pat

drunkards-path.mtc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: quilting template question........

Postby Elizabeth » September 28th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Looks good to me, Pat. Great idea to do 2 of each shape, so that you can mark the seam allowances. I've never heard of the curve master foot. Is it specific to your machine, or does it fit many machines? Let me know how it works. I love the Drunkard's Path pattern, but hate sewing the curves.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » September 28th, 2011, 8:30 pm

The Curve Master Presser foot, is for any machine. They give you different shanks and one of them SHOULD fit your machine. I bought one of them a long time ago, and never did do any quilts with curves... LOL

Here is the link to their site. You can find the foot at most quilting stores.

http://www.curvemaster.biz/
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby Elizabeth » September 29th, 2011, 6:44 am

Thanks for the link, Diane. I checked it out and it looks really cool! It made me remember that the other reason I haven't done any curved seam quilts is that I hate cutting the pieces! I guess I'll have to experiment some more with using the Cougar to cut fabric. I'll hold off on ordering the special foot for now, since I haven't sewn anything since last Christmas! Sure would be nice to use up some of my fabric stash.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby pigtailpat » September 29th, 2011, 7:54 am

I plan to do some experiments over the weekend with the foot. I want to keep challenging myself and go into new areas. I will let you guys know how I make out. Thanks for reviewing my file. I sew with a singer 1022, which is a low shank machine, and the foot probably should fit my machine. I'm still holding out hope that I can upgrade the machine to a juki 2010Q next year, as the singer is over 20 years old and she literally is groaning....

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby fairwayflunkie » September 29th, 2011, 8:03 am

How weird is that I am teaching curved piecing at the next guild meeting...I do not use the curve master foot...I do a simple method that uses three pins and that's it...I've also got the accuquilt die for that block I could perhaps cut you a template if you want in template plastic and mail it to you no problem....

Maybe I should make a short video...oy that would be good *insert sarcasm here* :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
Nancy
fairwayflunkie

Postby pigtailpat » September 29th, 2011, 8:22 am

Maybe you can bring a video camera to the guild meeting and have the camera on a tripod, to record what you are teaching to the guild members - so you can literally kill 2 birds with one stone...

Thanks for the offer for cutting me a template - that was very sweet of you...but do not go through that trouble as I can just as easily cut chipboard on the cougar from my file. If I run into trouble with inaccuracies..then maybe..

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Suzan » September 29th, 2011, 9:12 am

Walmart used to carry Wonderunder by the roll for really cheap.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Return to Make The Cut!