Anyone running MTC in WINE?

Anyone running MTC in WINE?

Postby goodbead » September 16th, 2011, 8:27 pm

I am curious...I have been able to read where others have managed to do this. Thought I was ready to leave MTC behind, but the newest upgrade changed my mind altogether. With node editing, MTC now does most of what I've wanted it to do. I got wine and wine bottler installed but do not get the menu in winetricks where you need to choose the gdiplus to run MTC. Grr! I do not need it to cut, just to use it to design, then I can easily use my other software to cut. I keep thinking there's an easy fix if only I knew what to do, as others have gotten it to run ok. I am truly over my head here, as I have only been using a mac for 11 days LOL. I am just really, really against putting windows on my new outer in an emulation.
Catherine
goodbead

Re: Anyone running MTC in WINE?

Postby Phyllis » September 16th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Catherine, my son put this on my Mac about 6 mos. or so ago, at my request, and it was a disaster. Had to remove it. I don't recall all the problems but it was not pretty. I was running VM ware Fusion so I could run MTC and that was working OK but using a lot of resources. I now have completely taken off VM Fusion and all Windows programs off. I do have a Windows laptop which I run MTC on. Hope you can get it working but I'm through with trying to run windows programs on my Mac.
Phyllis

Postby goodbead » September 16th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Yeah, a thread I had read sounded so promising but I am thinking it just isn't going to happen. Strange but I just can't repeat what others have done. I guess I just need to really spend time learning Inkscape and not be able to create much in the meantime. I really like the lattice and rhinestone features of MTC and have no clue how to do that stuff in Inkscape! Or wrapping text to a path. I could do that easily in PSP9, the only other windows program I will miss. At least I am able to work with the extensive svg library I already own!!
goodbead

Postby fairwayflunkie » September 17th, 2011, 6:43 am

I so hear you about running windows programs in Mac...what a nightmare...I run in parallels...but still MTC is acting up in there....maybe I'll just buy a cheap laptop to run my windows programs...such a pain....and my Embird had taken over my dat files in Quickbooks...don't even get me started on that....LOL...
Nancy
fairwayflunkie

Postby Phyllis » September 17th, 2011, 10:16 am

It would be so nice if Andy would do a Mac version, that would make a lot of people happy but we're beating a dead horse here, don't think it will ever happen. SCAL does have a Mac version but you can't do PNC with it and no lattice option either. They are teaming up with Sizzix so I'm wondering what type of improvements they will make or not on their software.
Phyllis

Postby iggylover » December 5th, 2011, 1:22 pm

It sounds like Andy is really close to a MAC version...

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussio ... e-likes-it
iggylover

Postby Phyllis » December 5th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Yes, I'm watching his progress.
Phyllis

Postby goodbead » December 5th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Interesting...in the past he all but said he didn't like macs and would never bother. I have used my cougar, have had problems cutting some files with sign cut that cut fine in mtc, but I refuse to use emulation software on my mac. Haven't had time to really learn inkscape - the tuts i find seem all based on illustration and aren't relevant to cut files - so i am sort of slogging though at this point. very frustrating but it is what it is.....if mtc did indeed come out with a mac format, it would be great for me.
goodbead

Postby iggylover » December 5th, 2011, 3:39 pm

I always thought he just said he didn't know how to write code for MACs, not that he disliked them or wouldn't bother...

Somehow he seems to have found a way to work around it, so hopefully it will be a real option soon (relatively soon... given a previous definition of soon on the MTC forum...)
iggylover

Postby Angel135612 » December 6th, 2011, 9:25 am

goodbead wrote:Interesting...in the past he all but said he didn't like macs and would never bother. I have used my cougar, have had problems cutting some files with sign cut that cut fine in mtc, but I refuse to use emulation software on my mac. Haven't had time to really learn inkscape - the tuts i find seem all based on illustration and aren't relevant to cut files - so i am sort of slogging though at this point. very frustrating but it is what it is.....if mtc did indeed come out with a mac format, it would be great for me.

There is a forum on Inkscape for cutters.. instead of for graphics, and they have a number of tuts as it relates to cutters.

http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/index.php

I have slowly been reading through the forum as I have time... and have gotten some great tips on working with Inkscape.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby goodbead » December 6th, 2011, 10:07 am

Thanks for sharing that link, looks promising!
goodbead

Postby Elizabeth » December 6th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Thanks from me, too! I am really planning to devote some time to Inkscape after the holidays. I also love Louise Paisley's tuts over on the other forum. They are informative and laugh out loud funny.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Make The Cut!