Print and Cut using Make the Cut - Bleed?

Print and Cut using Make the Cut - Bleed?

Postby Outpost » January 9th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Hi all,
I want to know if there is a way to make a bleed (that is not a cut line) in a Photoshop jpg file brought into Make the Cut software. The label I'm trying to print is printed in green with a dark green border and I think if I can bleed the green color beyond the border the Print and Cut doesn't have to be perfect.

Thanks,
Deborah
Outpost

Re: Print and Cut using Make the Cut - Bleed?

Postby Outpost » January 10th, 2015, 7:51 am

I found a solution for this problem in the MTC Manual for the KNKZing. I have an older version of this manual that didn't cover this situation, but the newer manual had specific instructions (http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNK ... Manual.pdf), 9.06.5 "PNC with an Inset Cut Line". I also added a slightly larger black stroke to the outer edges of the image in Illustrator so I would still have a thin black border. Still tweaking, but I think it's going to work fine!

Deborah
Outpost

Re: Print and Cut using Make the Cut - Bleed?

Postby MeFlick » January 10th, 2015, 9:10 am

Glad you got it figured out. There are lots of ways to approach this both with MTC and other programs. Another option would be to add an outer regular shadow in black to help retain the black stroke on the outer edges (you can even do that from within MTC once you have it in MTC). Using he "inset" shadow causes you to cut a tad "smaller" object so if that is not what you need, using a regular outside shadow may be better option for you.

The biggest key on cutting accuracy is not the programs themselves but to ensure that you have properly calibrated your cutter. Have you done that? Once you have properly calibrated your cutter and found the correct offsets for your X and Y offsets, then you should be pretty close to "spot on" (reliant only then upon how well your eyes can align the laser light to the corners of the registration marks! ;) )

I am one of the few here who still use MTC with our cutters so should you ever need any further help - feel free to pm me or email me from this forum or the MTC one. (I use the same user name on both sites). While I may not immediately know the answer - I will try to help figure it out!

Good luck with your project and let us see your final work!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to Make The Cut!