need new machine advice

Re: need new machine advice

Postby texcycle » April 2nd, 2013, 7:58 am

Thanks for responding Rachellann..asking questions on this forum IS part of my research. There is no better way to make an educated decision than to get info from people that use the machines. I can look at all the websites for all of the machines, but first hand info is going to seal the deal.
texcycle

Cutter: prospective buyer

Postby Gigi » April 2nd, 2013, 9:32 am

It's too bad that more people don't take the time and energy to do the research that you are. Good for you. Of course when you visit a forum for specific machines primarily, you will find more glowing reports, but we are also honest. We won't tell you it will do things that it won't - there is no point because then you will be miserable once you do have it. So - it will not do all of your other chores so all you have to do is play with it! Huge downside for me! :ROFLMBO: And it is not intuitive. You do have to tell it what you want it to do and how to do it. Other than that, it's pretty incredible and miles above any other machine I have used to date.

BTW, your quilts are stunning. We have a quilt show every other year at our local Art Museum and I am blown away by the talent. The first time I went I didnt understand why everyone was so excited - I mean - I thought I had "seen" quilts before so......what was special about this?? But then I saw all of the mediums used and the "art" in each of them - some with threads like yours, some with different mediums, some using fabric to replicate a painting - and on and on - each one surpassing the next. Your work is beautiful - and I am sure even more striking in person. I am always in awe of that kind of talent.... and patience!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » April 2nd, 2013, 12:36 pm

Texcycle -

I have had my machine since June 2011. No problems. Sherri is probably the most responsive seller on earth [she recently gave me advice about my questions as to whether or not to dump my box since my machine is finally now out of warranty], and Dawn STILL helps me every now and then if I have trouble with inkscape. Moreover, my sister in theory, Rachelann, continues to help whenever she can. In fact, since I am a latecomer to SCAL, I was planning to wait until summer to pick her brain about SCAL when both she and I have more time. Rach will help me with questions no matter what it is. I also quilt and plan to cut more for applique once I get some time and finish up some projects. You won't be sorry dealing with either of these ladies.

I'm sorry about what happened at .MTC, since that time - what little free time I have I spend here - this thread is the first I am even hearing about some other issue involving that Chad fellow........

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby kim » April 2nd, 2013, 5:03 pm

texcycle, from your name, are you in texas? (or I guess it could be short for "textile"....LOL). But, if you are in the eastern part of Texas and the north part of the state, we might be able to meet up and you can try both the Cougar and the Silver Bullet. Just a thought.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby texcycle » April 2nd, 2013, 8:49 pm

Kim, what a wonderful and generous offer, but I do not live in Texas. If I did, I'd take you up on that offer for sure! and, it's short for textile...

Gigi, You wrote "So - it will not do all of your other chores so all you have to do is play with it! Huge downside for me! And it is not intuitive. You do have to tell it what you want it to do and how to do it."
I'm not totally sure what you mean..about chores and telling it what to do vs intuitive... and thank you for the nice compliments about my quilts :)
texcycle

Postby Gigi » April 2nd, 2013, 9:01 pm

Sorry - I was teasing. I just meant that you will want to have nothing else to do but play with your machine because it is so addicting. So it's a bummer that it won't vacuum the carpet and do the dishes and an unending list of other things.

And it can't read your mind and create what is in your head. You have to draw it and tell it what you want it to do - and set the force, speed etc.
In other words, it will do what you tell it to do and how you tell it to do it, but it cannot read your mind.

I should have been more serious - I apologize.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » April 2nd, 2013, 9:05 pm

:ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: It's a huge joke here that we would really like our Cougars and Silver Bullets to do our household chores so that we would have more time to craft. It does everything so well....now for it to do the dishes would be wonderful.
kim

Postby texcycle » April 2nd, 2013, 9:14 pm

Gigi, that's what I thought and it's so funny because I say that a lot...but then got to wondering if I misread it. And heavens no... please no need to be serious. You don't know me yet but I have the same dry sense of humor that I just call me being a smart buttox, so you are good! Please please do not apologize...
texcycle

Postby Gigi » April 2nd, 2013, 11:21 pm

:hide: Ok - I will crawl out from under the chair and take back the apology!! LOL

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Retta » April 2nd, 2013, 11:36 pm

the fun has started! Great! Have fun!
Last edited by Retta on April 3rd, 2013, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby texcycle » April 3rd, 2013, 8:21 am

Gigi.. that's fine.. just rain check the apology for another time when you really need to use it!
texcycle

Postby Gigi » April 3rd, 2013, 10:03 am

LOL - thank you!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby texcycle » April 4th, 2013, 9:30 am

I had dreams of cutting machines all night last night! I couldn't see which one I was using tho...
texcycle

Postby newbiecat » April 4th, 2013, 11:55 am

trouble being once you have one - you get up and cut something no matter the time ..........lol............
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby texcycle » April 4th, 2013, 11:57 am

I know.. I do that now with sewing and painting....
texcycle

Postby texcycle » April 4th, 2013, 7:19 pm

sorry if this is a stupid question but are the angled blades straight in cutting but angled to help cut certain materials or do they cut on an angle?
texcycle

Postby kim » April 4th, 2013, 7:41 pm

cut straight but are angled to cut through the material, hence the 45 degree blade and the 60 degree blade. the fabric blade I believe is a 30 degree, but I could be wrong.
kim

Postby texcycle » April 4th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Thanks Kim. I think I am just figuring this out. All along when I saw 'angled' blades, I thought they cut on an angle as in bevel, which got me excited.

Sorry to ask so many questions but it's good for me because I am really getting a better understanding of what everything is and does..and will have less sad surprises when I get my machine.
texcycle

Postby Gigi » April 4th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Yes Kim - the fabric blade is 30 degrees.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby texcycle » April 4th, 2013, 10:20 pm

for a minute there I got all excited...
texcycle

PreviousNext

Return to Other Cutters