need new machine advice

Re: need new machine advice

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 2:17 pm

Angel135612, please do not apologize for a long post. This is exactly the info I need and would have no way of knowing otherwise. I appreciate your honesty in all regards. I have seen a few negative posts about Sandy, but most are glowing... and she did jump on me right away about a purchase but no info about the machines. I was struck by that immediately. So hearing you say that confirms my initial thoughts.

As for the Circut, I bought mine & MTC just before the lawsuit ever started so once the dust settled and Andy was not able to support the 2 together, I knew I was doomed. My PC crashed and got hijacked all about the same time so I've not been able to upgrade the software just to use as is. I figured if I have to get a new machine to do what I want, I may as well investigate and get the most bang for my money. When I bought the C I was recently laid off, money was tight and I found a way to swing it, but now tho still not employed I have some money tucked away that I could use to upgrade to something fantastic.

Kim, I also appreciate what you said. Again, being so new to the forums I don't have the experience of seeing what you all have. If you'd like to share the info you didn't want to post here, you could send me a direct email (textilerecycler@yahoo.com). I promise to keep your comments confidential. And again, you all are great. So much more information regarding machines and software here. I did notice that there were virtually no posts regarding the Cougar/SB but didn't know why. I'm starting to understand.

Tho I will be cutting various materials for my work, I am primarily an art quilter. My work is often odd and quirky so I need the software (and machine) to accommodate my art really well. I have a piece in an online contest that ends tonight if you are curious about who I am and what I do. Go to:

http://www.cravehandmade.com/wp-content ... most_voted

You all are helping me get a lot closer to a choice much more quickly that I anticipated...please keep sharing your thoughts because this is an important purchase. If I get an SB, I will be one of you. I am a straight shooter and appreciate honesty... so don't hold back now!
texcycle

Cutter: prospective buyer

Postby sheri625 » March 31st, 2013, 2:37 pm

I can second the posts you've already seen here about other machines and the other forum. I still visit there because there are fabulous tutorials on the latest features and there are a LOT of people over there. You ask a question and immediately someone jumps up to answer. Are those answers always right? Meehhhh, that's another discussion altogether. I come to this forum for serious answers, truthful opinions and as always, fabulous service from Dawn and Sherri. I haven't come across Jo yet but if she is partnered with these two, she must be good.

I have a 12" Lynx and bought it back when they were new on the board. Having the benefit of hindsight there are very few things I would change if I had to do it all again. I love my Lynx so I'm positive I would love a Silver Bullet. The only thing I would do differently is that I would purchase the support tables. I'm saving pennies for them now but they weren't even available for my machine when I bought it.

I'm still a huge fan of MTC and ANY machine that is sold by Sherri and/or Dawn. You will never be sorry purchasing from them. Hope all these opinions help.
Thanks!

Sheri
sheri625

Cutter: Lynx 12"

Postby Angel135612 » March 31st, 2013, 2:56 pm

texcycle That is a very interesting quilt. Would love to see more of your work. I have made a few quilts and have many that still need to be finished. LOL I am more of a traditional quilter and love to do the piecing, but not so much the quilting part. I haven't tried doing anything "artsy" with my quilting but enjoy looking at what others make.

If you plan on cutting quilters template material for stencils, I don't think you will have a problem cutting that with the SB, and if you can create your shape in Illustrator, or MTC, then you will be able to get it to cut with the machine.

From your first post, it sounds like you like to try different things with your crafting. I believe that if you are buying tools for something, to buy as much as you can afford, but more than you think you will need. I would rather grow INTO a machine, than OUT of it. Getting one that will do everything you need it to do now, and more, will allow you to grow and experiment with different media with out having to continually buy new and/or better tools to do so. One of the reasons I purchased the 24 inch machine was so that I wouldn't regret not having something larger. At the time I didn't need to make anything that wide, and still haven't, but I know I COULD if I ever needed to.. and I don't know what I may want to do with the machine in the future, but I do know that I will be able to do anything I may want to do. And I like having that extra room, so I don't have to be so careful of where I place my mat or my design with out going into the "no cut zone" and causing the machine to pause.

If you have any more specific questions about the machine and what it can do, or the software, just ask, someone will be happy to answer them for you.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 3:09 pm

I agree 100% Angel135612 about growing into something, not out of it. That is another reason I am asking so many questions. I want to be sure I can direct myself to the capabilities of a machine and yes, I do like to do a variety of crafty things and experiment.

( I know what you mean about UFOs. We all have them. That's one reason I don't make bed quilts any more.. less unfinished quilts lying around if I work smaller )

I'm in the process of looking at a chart that has both the SB & KNK products..I'm sure I'll have more questions when I'm done.
Thank you again.
texcycle

Postby Thyme » March 31st, 2013, 4:00 pm

Love your quilt!
Thyme

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 4:07 pm

Oh thank you!
I have some that I started with the Cricut, but even more in my head that I want to cut, so I need a machine! and soon!

This is one of the first and few that I cut on the Cricut... I just wanted to see how it worked with fabric:
http://textilerecycler.blogspot.com/201 ... eek-3.html
texcycle

Postby Elizabeth » March 31st, 2013, 4:52 pm

That quilt is awesome! I am a former quilter, but like Diane, I am more traditional. I don't have the artistic vision to make something like yours. (I am firmly in the crafter camp, as opposed to the artist camp!)

If you have mastered fabric with your Cricut, you will have no problem cutting it with the Silver Bullet. Mary even cut fleece with hers! (I can cut calico easily, and coffee filters, but I haven't ventured beyond that.)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 4:54 pm

when you cut the coffee filters, does it cut nicely or shred..the Cricut shreds a lot of things :(
texcycle

Postby kim » March 31st, 2013, 5:02 pm

Love the quilt! I am..ahem WAS a treditional quilter. I think I have had just about every hobby out there or it is on my "gotta try" list.

Just wanted to add a little something....it doesn't matter what machine you get or have, you are welcome to be on this forum. We don't shun or throw anyone out of the forum just because they own a different machine. So you are welcome to stay NO MATTER WHAT. And we don't care what software you use either. We are more interested in the PERSON and that they are friendly and helpful. We all get along well here and when we disagree, we agree to disagree and keep it cordial and nice. We are a family over here.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Angel135612 » March 31st, 2013, 5:13 pm

texcycle wrote:when you cut the coffee filters, does it cut nicely or shred..the Cricut shreds a lot of things :(

If you use a 30 degree fabric blade, it cuts the coffee filters cleanly.
Angel135612

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 7:17 pm

Kim... my kinda folks...and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that! That's just how I like it.. open, honest, friendly and disagreements are ok, but nasty isn't.
texcycle

Postby Suzan » March 31st, 2013, 7:19 pm

Actually there is hardly any drama here at all. If there is it is nipped in the bud really quick. We all get over it and move on
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » March 31st, 2013, 7:44 pm

Actually there is hardly any drama here at all. If there is it is nipped in the bud really quick. We all get over it and move on

Not me. I'm holding grudges! :ROFLMBO:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby Suzan » March 31st, 2013, 7:56 pm

Oh you are so very bad Elizabeth. LOLOLOL
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » March 31st, 2013, 8:55 pm

Elizabeth wrote:

Not me. I'm holding grudges! :ROFLMBO:

Leave it to Elizabeth to be the one that holds grudges!!! I knew there was something about you... :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
Angel135612

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 9:06 pm

You guys are funny!

Dawn, saw some of your Thyme Graphics videos using the SB. They were great and really helped a lot! Thanks for putting them on You Tube...
texcycle

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 10:12 pm

here's a dumb question... can I assume that the cutter (BC) comes with an instructional DVD, booklet and support to help set it up and start making something?
texcycle

Postby Angel135612 » March 31st, 2013, 10:32 pm

Once you purchase a machine, you will be granted access to the learning center,which has a lot of information and videos on the machine. I think there was a DVD with the machine, but it was so long ago that I purchased mine, I don't remember. There is a booklet that comes with it and there is all kinds of help here on the forum. If there ever should be something wrong with the machine an email to Sherri usually has it fixed in no time.
Angel135612

Postby newbiecat » April 1st, 2013, 5:20 am

Hello there

been laid up with a cold/cataragh - can't breathe type bug for the last couple of days and just started reading through this thread. Just thought to throw my thoughts in as well

So first welcome texcycle to this forum, there is a whole heap of information here when you become a full member.
Next I have a pazzle, cricut and black cat cougar and now a silver bullet (18") when I started out not feeling very creative the cricut was a great place to start, since all the design work had been done for me, then I started to realise how I would want one image but have to buy an entire cartridge. I quickly realised whislt there were lots of images , I always seemed to want something a little different, and for a while the Design Studio software helped there, pre the law suit I had discovered SCAL and worked out I how to cut individually designs with my circut. Post the law suit well I was just cross that the owners wanted to control how I could use my machine. My love affair dwindled. I next tried a pazzle, now that was in the early days, I know there is a lot more support for it and the new design features have taken it on again and it was very good at what it could do but I always seemed to want to cut something bigger - or more in one go than it could manage.

Onto my black cat - big expense and no doubt, I live in the UK and was lucky enough to be able to spend time with Dawn when I went to visit and see the Cat - fell in love immediately and yes came home with one in my boot. On the retreat we had last year I upgraded to the Silver Bullet and am thrilled. It is faster though the basic parts are very similar.

Next BIG point - these really aren't plug in and go machines, there is a learning curve with them all and they well repay the learning but when I first brought my CAT home I was stumped - I couldn't even work out how to cut a square - because I didnt understand how flexible the CAT was and where it cut - now at the time I was (and still am using SIGNCUT- which at the time came bundled with the machine). Now I understand it but then it confused me I even made a video -one of my first to explain to others where it cuts because it made no sense coming from the Cricut background. Now with SCAL I think it is easier to understand where that happens since you have the inbuilt graphics in the programme.

Once anyone buys a machine they have access (once registered ) to some great tutorials and videos in the learning section , to help you along the road. And there always seems to be someone around to come to your rescue if you are stuck.

One thing that I love about this forum, and the UK one, is that no-one is precious about which machine you are using ( you will see quite a lot about cameo's) or which mat/software or anything else really, everyone seems to come from a place of generousity of heart and wishing the best to help you succeed. Yes most of us love our machines and the service, but hey that doesnt mean I want to put your machine down if it works for you.

There is no question that is daft - cos I have asked all of them over time - and not reason to bang your head on a wall if stuck - because we all genuinely like to help and share our learning . We dont always know the answer but can often come up with a link to where that might be.....

Think your quilts look amazing - I know that Jo has put up a couple of videos on youtube showing the silver bullet cutting felt - and making an embossing folder.

These machines are a serious investment, and it will take time to learn how to get the best out of it, however i have used my to cut card/paper/vellum/vinyl/stencils and most anything else thin enough to get under the blade - emboss /engrave chocolate /leather /acrylic/metal and all with a few hiccups here and there but so much fun when I get it right - and I always holler when I am stuck .............

So another long post for you to wade through but I am trying to give a sense of why I ended here and why I make videos to help others - it is my way of repaying all the help I have received along the way.

What ever decision you make good luck with it - and continue to enjoy your wonderful artistic ability

Pandora
this is my channel - though it is mainly about software there is some video of the cat /bullet doing bits
http://www.youtube.com/user/newbiecrafter?feature=mhee
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby texcycle » April 1st, 2013, 9:34 am

Thank you Pandora! I love the long explanations... from everyone. When you all do that you give me wonderful food-for-thought info that I would never know about just looking at a product website.

The quilt with the face was cut with the Cricut, the lettering too. It was a cotton fabric backed with a fusible for body. I converted a photo to greyscale in photoshop, imported it into MTC, made some adjustments and hit cut! I know my new machine won't be that quick and easy but I learn fairly easily so I'm not super concerned about that... and as you say, you wonderful people are all willing to help me any time of day or night should a crisis arise :)

I did consider a Pazzle for a hot minute last year when I saw it at a show. But really, the low purchase price and mandatory monthly 'membership' turned me off. The folks were nice, I really liked some of their designs but the whole purchasing thing didn't seem right to me.

With some further investigation it seems that the Maxx & SB are very similar (even the price is the same) and the things that the SB didn't do according to a chart I saw and Max did, are no longer an issue. Is that correct? And maybe I am wrong but the only advantage that I see to the Air Maxx is the wireless aspect.

I guess I could get a Cougar but at the price I may as well spend another $100 or so and get the newer machine... see where I'm going with this :)

Then there's the cost of the mats, the blades, and all the other little bits. Do you think I could use my Cricut mats with the SB? I know from some forums that people use them and prefer them with the Cameo. So, there's still a bit to decide.. but I'm sure getting closer....

I saw that there's a package deal at That's Scrap but no matter how I tried I couldn't get the pieces to add up to the $355 that it claims is in the deal (selling $299)

I hope you're feeling better Pandora. Being sick is a drag. I've been in bed for a month with allergies which are flu-like symptoms... coughing and sneezing sure cuts into creative time!

By the way Pandora, your videos are great! (off topic, but what type of camera are you using to shoot them? I may need to get in touch with you for some video making tips if that's ok)
texcycle

PreviousNext

Return to Other Cutters