need new machine advice

need new machine advice

Postby texcycle » March 30th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Hello, this is my first time on this forum.
I am interested in a new cutting machine. I have a Cricut Expression and MTC. I can not upgrade the software due to the lawsuit so it looks like I need a new machine.

I will be cutting primarily fabric and stencils, less important to me but will also use for paper, cardstock, card/chip board, vinyl. I know that some machines cut leather, emboss, etc, which I would most likely do if I had that capability. It is not essential to my purchase tho. I want to be able to use my own designs to cut, so the software is an important piece to the puzzle. I have a MAC but can run the software on a PC if needed.

I have read a lot of posts on various forums. I was going to switch to a Cameo, but now not so sure that is my best option after reading comments. I also read a thread on this forum that was a few years old and wondered how everyone felt about their machines now and also thoughts regarding some of the newer ones that have come out since. You all gave wonderful feedback and food-for-thought a few years ago, so I am hoping that someone will chime in with some more current info that can help me make a good choice. Thank you in advance.
texcycle

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: need new machine advice

Postby kim » March 30th, 2013, 10:03 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum!!!

The Silver Bullet and the Cougar will both handle the things you are wanting in a new machine. The first thing that you would have to understand coming from a Cricut is the learning curve in ANY of the higher end machines are steeper but well worth the extra time in learning how to use them. Some can learn in a few minutes and others of us take a little longer.

I have the Cougar and the Silver Bullet and LOVE them. Customer Service is the BEST!!!! Sherri, Dawn and Jobab are great and this forum is also great in getting you through the first steps in learning your new machine. Once you purchase a machine, you will be able to access the Learning Center and Tyler did an awesome job in putting it together.

I cut mainly cardstock and vinyl. I also like to engrave metal. I am able to all of them with ease. There are so many other things you can do, and many of the forum members will pipe in and tell you the mediums they cut, but that is the extent of my experience.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby texcycle » March 30th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Thank you for the reply Kim. I expect some learning curve, but of course will want to jump right in...

Do you use MTC for your designs? Is that a fairly easy process? I have most of my images in Photoshop, some in Illustrator. So I would need to import to MTC then not sure if anything has to be converted from there before pushing the 'cut' button. What is your experience?
texcycle

Postby kmmhug » March 30th, 2013, 10:32 pm

I do use MTC and I find it very user friendly. I do not use photoshop and Illustrator much so I am not sure how it is when bringing them into MTC. You can download the free trial version from the site and mess around with it to see what you would have to do to bring your programs into it.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby texcycle » March 30th, 2013, 10:41 pm

I have a very old version of MTC. As long as the cutter worked with it, I can upgrade I'm sure.
texcycle

Postby kmmhug » March 30th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Yes you can upgrade for free forever, but the newer versions have tons of stuff that may be really great for you. Perhaps you could rename the version that you have that works with the C and then you can download the current version and see if it will do what you are hoping with the other programs.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby texcycle » March 30th, 2013, 10:54 pm

that sounds like a good plan, thanks. I was really planning to get rid of the C once I replace it. Maybe I should keep it and use if for light wght tasks...
There are so many choices and options that my head is spinning. I'm trying to figure out a rational way to make a choice on a new cutter. Hopefully I'll get more input to help me. The comments overall on this forum are superb! Thank you.
texcycle

Postby Gigi » March 30th, 2013, 11:01 pm

We love our machines and the customer service that comes with them.

I have owned a Cricut and at least four other machines and this is by far the best. I know if you choose to buy from Sherri, you will not regret it. The support and the machine are unsurpassed!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Sharon » March 31st, 2013, 8:22 am

I agree with Gigi!
Sharon

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Postby allandra42 » March 31st, 2013, 8:40 am

Welcome to our little home. I am also on the Make the Cut board and think I saw some of your posts there. I have the Cougar and the Silver Bullet. I love them both. I love the way that they cut without leaving chads, I love that they cut cleanly and without altering the shape of the pattern. I prefer the silver bullet just because it is an Upgrade of the black cat cougar. It is just awesome. I have cut pretty thick chipboard with it. I know it cuts so many things I couldn't list them all. There is a posting here by Sherri asking the users what they have cut with their machines and they have a very long list definitely check that out. It will tell you definitely what the machine can cut. Sherri at That's Scrap is where I purchased my machine. Her customer service is stellar. I can order something today and be assured it will be in the mail very shortly. There are tons of experts here that you can post a question if your having trouble and have an answer fairly quickly. Dawn at Thyme Graphics is here to she is Sherris partner and she answers tons of questions here. Make the Cut is the main software I cut with, If it is an svg file you just import and cut. I have the 24 inch silver bullet on a stand and a 15 inch cougar. As someone said there is a learning curve but you will never regret purchasing either of these machines. Lesa
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » March 31st, 2013, 8:48 am

texcycle Welcome to the fourm!!
The Silver Bullet is an EXCELLENT machine and you won't go wrong if you choose to purchase it from Sherri. It can do everything you are asking of it and more and is built to last.
The Silver Bullet will come with Sure Cuts a Lot, and they have a native MAC version of the software. Although you can use MTC on a MAC and I believe Andy is working on a MAC version, but not sure if it has been released yet. (It may be in Beta, but since I don't own a MAC, I really don't pay attention to that).
I have both MTC and SCAL and use them both. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I also use Inkscape to design some of my own designs. Both MTC and SCAL can import jpegs and trace them to create a cut file. Both can do Print and Cut, and they both can import vectors from Illustrator.
SCAL also has a free trial, you can download and use for 30 days, then you would need to register it to continue to use it. (If you buy a Silver Bullet or Cougar from Sherri, you will get the activation code for SCAL in an email).
I really like having both softwares, because if I am having a problem with one, and I need to get something done, I can always use the other one to send my designs to the machine to cut, until I figure out what is going on.
I started out with a Cricut, but it wasn't until I found the BlackCat Cougar that I really started using a cutting machine, and when Sherri came out with the Silver Bullet, I didn't hesitate to upgrade, and am not sorry one bit. I have to admit that I don't use my machine a lot (work gets in the way of my crafting time), but every time I turn it on to cut something, I am just in awe of how well the machine works. I have all the different tools, and have played around with them, but haven't really used them much, again, not as much time in the day as I want... LOL

I think once you upgrade your Cricut, you will find that you WON'T want to go back to using it, even for light weight tasks. Although if you have a lot of things you need to get cut at once, having two machines may make that easier, but I also think you will find that you get better cuts from the Cougar or Silver Bullet and won't want to use the Cricut at all. I kept my Cricut until I got comfortable with the Cougar, and knew I would be able to cut when I needed to (the learning curve for me was very long only because I didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to learning it when I got it, but when I decided to spend the time to learn it, it didn't take long at all... LOL) and then sold my Cricut and never looked back.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.. there is usually someone here that can answer you.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » March 31st, 2013, 9:18 am

Lots of very thorough answers here! I don't have anything to add, but I will echo the rave reviews of the customer service that comes with a machine purchase from Sherri, Dawn or Jo. I couldn't be happier with the service I have received from Sherri at That's Scrap, Inc.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 9:41 am

You are all wonderful! Let me say first that I think the MTC forum is pretty awesome too but a lot of answers I saw seemed to be 'just read the forums and research, you'll make the right choice for you' which is right, but if everyone says that then you don't get the feedback that you have all given me... which is fantastic!

I am interested to know about the MTC and SCAL and what are the strengths and weakness of each. Before seeing the response below I would have opted for MTC since I have it and not even considered the other as back-up. And I am not familiar with Inkscape so I'll have to check that out too.

Now somewhere I saw that one company will take back their machines on a trade to upgrade. Was that the Silver Bullet or Cougar?

Also I'm curious why you all chose the Cougar or Bullet over the KNK machines. There must have been some strong deciding factors.

I'll see if I can find the post about what people have cut with their machines... that's a great tip.. thanks! I try to be as efficient as possible with choices and how I do things, so that is why I am asking a lot of questions and really paying attention to all of your good comments and advice... and I truly appreciate what you have given me so far..
texcycle

Postby allandra42 » March 31st, 2013, 10:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4142
here is the link for what they cut. I chose the cougar over the KNK machines because of things I heard about Customer service. I heard awesome things about the Cougar and the customer Service. I have never used a KNK machine so maybe someone that has can help you there. I have no experience with their machines or customer service. Lesa
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby texcycle » March 31st, 2013, 10:20 am

That's one heck of a list...
I am getting closer to a decision but still curious why Bullet over KNK..
Support is a biggie for me as well, so I get your reasons Allandra42 but just wondering if there are other reasons out there too..
texcycle

Postby Gigi » March 31st, 2013, 10:29 am

I have owned 2 KNKs, a Cougar and a Silver Bullet. I realize the KNKs I had were older models than what I have now, but it seemed like there were often unresolved issues - if not with me, with others. That has never happened with the Cougar or Silver Bullet and having used all, I truly believe the the latter are the two best machines on the market. Sherri is always pushing the envelope to see how to add tools to enable these machines to do even more. And there is no better customer service with Sherri, Dawn(UK) or Jo(AU). That for me, will be the decision maker every time.

As for the software, I am not really an MTC user, but I do have it. In a nutshell, MTC has many more options for design. That being said, a lot design in Inkscape (free), Illustrator or Corel Draw. The newer machines seem to cut better with SCAL. SCAL can handle the huge time and detail intensive engraving patterns, MTC cannot. Both programs have their strengths and weaknesses.

Hope this helps a little.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » March 31st, 2013, 10:47 am

It is me (Dawn of Thyme Graphics) that takes back the machines in part exchange for an upgrade. I know Sherri was doing it on the Cougars, not sure if she still does on the Silver Bullets (don't think anyone has wanted to trade one in yet) but you can always email her and ask
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » March 31st, 2013, 12:34 pm

texcycle I will be honest here and say that I have never bought or dealt directly with Sandy of KNK. However, I have seen how she "behaves" on the MTC forum. Before the Zing was released, a lot of Cougar owners were on the MTC forum, and even Sherri and Dawn were there helping where they could. When Sandy joined the forum to help with KNK machines, things changed. She would always answer questions on the Cougar machines, even though they weren't the machines she supported, and a lot of times her answers were wrong, including an answer to a question I had about my Cougar. She felt that because the machines were produced in the same factory, that there was NO difference in the machines. That couldn't be further from the truth. Even though the same factory makes both machines, they are made to the specs of the different companies, and they may be close but they aren't the same. IN MY OPINION, Sandy was giving false information, to sway people to the KNK machines and away from the Black Cat machines. I NEVER saw Dawn or Sherri try to sway people with false information, in fact, if you talked to them before purchasing a machine, and they felt that a different machine, even from a different manufacture was better for your needs, they would tell you, even if that meant losing a sale. I have never seen Sandy do that, she will always recommend the KNK machines that she represents, even if it is more machine than you need, or another machine would be better suited for you. When I saw what Sandy was doing, that tipped the scales for me, in the direction of Sherri at ThatsScrapInc.com.
You may not see the same things I saw in Sandy on the MTC forum now, because most of the people that have Cougars or Silver Bullets keep quiet about the machines, and get their help on this forum, instead of the MTC forum, so Sandy doesn't have to "compete" with another seller on that forum.

Also just looking at the specs of a machine doesn't tell the whole story. The Black Cat Cougar and Silver Bullets have very similar specs, they are both GREAT machines (I had a Cougar before I purchased the Silver Bullet), and the Silver Bullet seems to be just "that much" better. It is hard to describe the differences, but what Sherri and Dawn did to create the Silver Bullet makes it a better machine in the way it cuts, even though there is NOTHING wrong with the Cougar and it does a superb job as well. Most people who have a SB now, and upgraded from a Cougar, would tell you the same, that there is just something about the SB that makes it work just a bit better. Also the SB is quieter than the Cougar, when I used my Cougar (24") it has a fan that was always blowing to keep the motor cool, and I was always turning it off, if I wasn't going to be using again right away, because it was just annoying to have that noise in the background (It isn't an issue with smaller machines). When I got the SB, the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was, I could forget I even had the machine turned on sometimes, because it was so quiet.

As for the differences in the software, I will preface this by saying that I had SCAL when it was first released,and used it for my Cricut, and didn't care for it. I found MTC and used it almost exclusively until I upgraded to the SB and got a registration for the newest version. With the recent updates to SCAL, I am trying to use and learn it more as I have the time, so I may not be the best person to review the software. There are a lot of things that MTC does, that I'm not sure SCAL does. They will both bring an image into the software to create a cut line for it. I use either Inkscape or MTC for that as that is what I am used to, so I couldn't say if SCAL did a better job or not. They both can send your design to the cutter, I think SCAL does a better job of communicating with the SB or Cougar, especially for larger, node heavy files, as mentioned previously. Brandon, the developer of SCAL has worked closely with Dawn to make sure SCAL does a good job of working with the machines. With MTC, there is a Black Cat plugin for using with the machines, but most people use the KNK plug in, which also works, but it doesn't seem to do as good of a job as SCAL with our machines. I tend to do most of my designing in either Inkscape or MTC depending on which one I "know" better for a particular thing I want to do and if I have the time to "learn something new" with the software, or if I just need to get it done and move on. But I do almost all my cutting exclusively with SCAL. Since you can export your designs from MTC as an SVG it is easy enough to import them into SCAL to send to the machine.

Sorry for such a long post, but I hope this helps answer some of your questions.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby Elizabeth » March 31st, 2013, 12:42 pm

I use both MTC and SCAL regularly. I do almost all of my design work in MTC. With the design and editing features that Andy keeps adding, I almost never find a need to use Inkscape any more. However, I find that I get better cuts with SCAL. I thing that this is because SCAL has updated Drivers for the Cougars and Silver Bullets. I don't believe there has been a driver update for my machine in MTC since I purchased it.

Also, SCAL seems to work better with large files. I use a lot of digital papers, which seem to hang up MTC, while SCAL handles them with ease.

Why Silver Bullet over KNK? For me, it was the rave reviews about Sherri's customer service and Dawn's presence on the forums, answering questions at all hours. I just wasn't seeing that from any other business, two years ago, and I don't see it now. Once this forum got underway, while I was awaiting delivery of my first Cougar, I knew that I had made the right choice. It has been a joy to be a part of this supportive family of Cougar/Silver Bullet owners. I can't think of any reason why I would choose to buy a machine from someone other than Sherri, Dawn or Jo.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby kim » March 31st, 2013, 1:14 pm

I have a Cricut but when the lawsuit began, I researched and had narrowed down to the KNK and the Cougar. I chose the Cougar because at that time, Sherri and Dawn and many Cougar owners were on the MTC forum and I watched how they handled the customers. I knew that their customer support was 24/7, 7 days a week and was awesome. That made my decision. I have never regretted it. I also have a Silhouette, but it is only for travel reasons as my Cougar is a 24". As you probably already know, the Silhouette is a great little machine but very limited on what you can do. I got the Silver Bullet mainly because I was too curious as to how it could possibly be better than the Cougar. LOL. My poor Cougar never gets out any more, mainly because I don't have room to put two 24" machines out on my table, otherise I would have both machines up and running at the same time. LOL.

You aren't going to get a lot of info on the MTC regarding the Cougar and the Silver Bullet. Everytime one of us gets on there, it causes a cutter war. Ever since Andy started selling KNKs, it has become more of a KNK forum. Many of us still go on the forum but try to keep our posts about the Cougar and SB to a minumum so that we don't get deleted. But many of us use MTC with our machines. SCAL is another great program and comes with the purchase of SB, but I am in the learning stages of that program so I can't really help you out there.

You will find all the information you want about the Cougar and the SB here on this forum and you will find that some of the MOST knowledgeable people on cutters are on this forum. Many are ex KNK owners and know several of the other programs, like photoshop and illustrator. SMART PEOPLE!!!

I don't know about KNK's as I never got one, but as I said before, I chose the Cougar and SB because I saw the customer support that Sherri and Dawn gave and knew that they were the kind of people I wanted to deal with. I have never regretted it. I know the specs on the KNK were good but the customer service wasn't what Sherri and Dawn gave. NOW several KNK people are on the MTC forum giving help and I won't go into all the details, but I prefer Sherri and Dawn. They aren't into selling a machine that isn't right for you. Several times they have told me that I needed to get a machine some where else (wanted the heat press machines from Dawn but she told me that the shipping from the UK would be too expensive and I should get one in the US). Most people wouldn't have cared and would only want the sale, but she was looking out for my interest. Sherri is the same way.

I hope you get all the information you need to make your decision, but rest assured that if your choose the Cougar/Silver Bullet from Sherri, you will find plenty of people willing to help you learn the machine.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Next

Return to Other Cutters