need new machine advice

Re: need new machine advice

Postby kmmhug » April 1st, 2013, 9:50 am

Just popping in to say that you most certainly can use your cricut mats with a Silver Bullet or a Cougar. I use mine all the time and I am saving my Cougar mats till I use up the old Cricut ones.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby texcycle » April 1st, 2013, 9:58 am

also Pandora, on your videos, thank you thank you for the close ups!
texcycle

Cutter: prospective buyer

Postby PennyDuncan » April 1st, 2013, 10:18 am

Welcome indeed!!! I would also like to interject a thought as well...All of the advice given and thoughts of the machines are spot on!!!! I would like to add one piece of info to think about in regards to the "wireless" feature of the other machine.....this is VERY VERY NEW to the industry....it has not been a tried and true method in regards to a cutting machine.......and because of that I would expect to have difficulties through their process....though you would think the spooling required between a printer and cutter would be similar.....it is not always seemless...especially considering the thought that if you are doing extremely large node heavy files such as engraving files and you are using MTC the software will crash.....SCAL3 either Pro or regular doe NOT have that issue.....but that is a thought to consider in how that might play out with the "wireless" aspect of the other machine.....

Also a thought to consider...the person selling that other machine has a track record that we've experienced all to often that he does not give the type of support we've all come to appreciate and respect from Sherri, Dawn & Jo.......putting all of those thoughts in motion...I would consider heavily before sinking that much money into a machine who's "upgrades" have NOT been proven........ ;) I do wish you the best on your decision....it's such a big one and if made correctly...you will be thrilled with for along time to come!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Suzan » April 1st, 2013, 10:25 am

As far as wireless goes, in my area we have to reset our router at least once a week. Heaven forbid if it happened cutting out 200 skulls like had to a couple of weeks ago. I would be pulling everyone's hair out. LOL
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » April 1st, 2013, 10:35 am

You can certainly use your Cricut mats in a SB. I have a whole drawer full of them. (I used them while learning my machine, so that I wouldn't damage my good mat.) I have since switched over completely to Sherri's Cougar mats. They have wider margins, which makes them last a lot longer. The narrow Cricut margins curl really quickly, as you can only place the pinch wheels in one place. With the Cougar/SB mats, you can vary the placment of the pinch wheels with each cut.

I typically keep two mats in rotation, and my last set lasted more than a year. I just purchased new ones, and while my DD broke one of them somehow(?), I still expect to get a lot of use out of them. Maybe DD will have to go back to using the Cricut mats, though! :whip:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby texcycle » April 1st, 2013, 10:42 am

Thanks Penny.. good advice.
My general M.O. is to not get technology that is really new in anything.. I always believe that the more a machine is expected to do, the less effective it is and more chance of problems. I'm old school and a wall plus is good enough for me! Actually, the voice control on the Zing doesn't appeal to me much either. I'm not a gadgety type person. Give me something that has a task and let me complete it from a to z without a lot of bells and whistles. Plus, I would rather spend the extra money on the extra 'stuff' that goes with the machine than the wireless feature. At some point you have to draw the line.

As for support, I hear what you all are saying and I am totally neutral since I don't have any experience with anyone or the machines, but 'the other person' seems to get glowing comments quite regularly. I have seen a few that were not so great but basically everyone has some thing wonderful to say about her.
... and I am curious why Andy sells the other products and not the SB line..do you think it's cause he gets a kick back (which is fine) or friendship or what?

kmmhug & Elizabeth, good news! I have a bunch of C mats... now I just have to find them!
texcycle

Postby allandra42 » April 1st, 2013, 10:52 am

I use Cricut mats in my silver bullet all the time. I use Cricut mats when I do rhinestone material because I want a really sticky mat. Are they comparable to a silver bullet mat? No.. When you try a silver bullet mat you will not want to use cricut mats anymore. :-)However Yes you can. :-) The gotta have it all package was well worth it for me because I want to learn to do it all. I am going on a retreat with some ladies in Mo this week and going to try my hand at Engraving if Rachellann will teach me. :-) Mary Kobe volunteered her.

Beautiful quilts by the way.. Lesa
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby kim » April 1st, 2013, 11:12 am

I don't have any experience with the KNK support but see posts quite often on the MTC forum in regards to support.

There is another Black Cat cutter out there in which they used to be one and the same, but have now split from each other. The Black Cat Cougar sold by the other party is NOT supported by Dawn, Sherri and Jo. Just want to make sure that is clear as many have expected their support after having purchased from the other party.

As far as Andy and KNK, I don't really know the whole story, but after the lawsuit thing, I think KNK approached Andy with him designing a machine (the Zing) and I know he sells the KNK line now. But that is about all I know. I don't have a problem with other machines and know that it is "to each his own". I can only tell you about the machines I own and why I love/hate them. But the Cougar and the SB, it is notjust the machines I love, but rather it has a lot to do with the people who sell them and support them. It is this forum and the group of people who are there for me. The machines do what I want them to do and do it very well. But when I run into something that I need help with, there is always someone out there that has already gone through it and can help me with it...not just the machine, but also the software. I wanted to try engraving a filled design but had NO experience with Inkscape which is the software I needed to do the "fill". Someone walked me through the process and I was able to import into MTC and engrave my file. (Thanks Penny and Tyler!!!)

I know it's a huge decision because we are talking major bucks when purchasing one of these machines. But I have bought three machines from Sherri and then the FoilMaster from Dawn and knew that whatever they sold, they had tested out and knew that it would be the best out there if they sold it.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby texcycle » April 1st, 2013, 11:46 am

Well, see I learned another thing to help make my decision... the black cat is a diff company..

.. you gals are 'da bomb'! Even if Sherri was a dud, which I know she is not, I think I would get a SB just to work with all of you...seriously, you are all amazing!
texcycle

Postby Suzan » April 1st, 2013, 12:19 pm

Sherri is amazing. She goes above and beyond any help needed or wanted. I have never had a problem with the service received from her or Dawn. They are actually the rightful owners of Black Cat and the Silver Bullet. If you look in their stores you will see. There is another one whose name will not be mentioned selling them unlawfully. As I said before I have both machines. They are both great machines and I am getting ready to drag back out the cougar so I can run both machines. Just have to figure out the space needed. And since I run all the softwares this will make it possible. Also with Dawn and Sherri they have been two years running with the top rated machines. You can't beat that on top of all the other stuff listed here.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby allandra42 » April 1st, 2013, 1:44 pm

I dont believe in downing the competition.. I do however want to say that Sandy McC can be very helpful in that forum and I have sang her praises a few times. However ... In a swap group I am in I have seen two different posts this week from people saying that the customer service from Chad is not good. Like i said I dont like to smear other peoples customer service but this person said she has called Chad several times over a machine that is new and not working and cant get him to call her back. After that another chimed in that she was having the same problem. Now mind you SandyMcC is in that group and said she called Chads cell phione number and would have him return these phone calls immediately. But she shouldnt have had to do that.
I can place an order with Sherri and it is on its way to me immediately. You can email Sherri with a problem which with both of my machines I dont think I have had many.. Most were my fault however she always takes care of it immediately. At one time I ordered new blades and Sherri had just gotten new help and when my order was mailed the blades were not in it. I called her and she said they would be in the mail the next day and she didnt ask for proof or anything and not only did I get my blades she threw in an extra for the trouble I went through. I told her she didnt need to do that but that is Sherris customer service. She is awesome. I cant tell you enough good about her. And the Silver Bullet. I LOVE that MACHINE. I am going out of town this week and taking my 15 inch cougar and it is an awesome machine but I am sad that I cant take my silver bullet just because I prefer it but it is 24 inch and installed on the rolling tables.
allandra42

Postby Suzan » April 1st, 2013, 2:48 pm

Lesa I know exactly what you are talking about I am in the same group. And one of the ladies is actually think of buying a silver bullet now because of the incident.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby texcycle » April 1st, 2013, 3:01 pm

I know it's uncomfortable to name names but it does help to know who one is dealing with. And really, I take some of it with a grain of salt. No one is totally free of issues and has for sure made someone unhappy at one time or another, but with that said, I'd rather not step in a can of worms. I'm very customer support oriented and also very loyal. Once I make a choice and purchase, I'm in and it will take a lot to turn me against the person or product. I know that nothing is trouble free but minimizing problems is a good thing in my book.

Thank you again to everyone... feel free to keep the info coming.. it is pushing me closer.

I'm getting more excited by the minute and keep thinking of things I can do with 'my' machine..
texcycle

Postby allandra42 » April 1st, 2013, 5:25 pm

Well Suzan I didnt know you were in there they gotta quit having so many buys I am broke! LOL
allandra42

Postby kim » April 1st, 2013, 5:49 pm

As I mentioned before, I have never owned a KNK so don't know about their customer service personally. But I don't like it when we (SB and Cougar owners, and the other cutters for that matter) get on the MTC forum, that we are attacked when we praise our machines. I think that we all have a right to tout our machines when someone asks but it seems that we get "deleted" in order for the attacks to stop. That is why so many of us have either stopped going to the forum or just try to keep a low profile.

One of the reasons that we try to stress to people considering the SB or the Cougar that the learning curve is quite different than a "plug and play" machine is because the only complaints that have occurred was because the person did not understand that you just will not be up and running in five minutes (well, some do....MICHELLE) LOL. But those who expect to just plug the machine in and start getting perfect cuts get frustrated and then give up....blaming Sherri or Dawn. All of the higher e

nd machines take time to learn and each medium will take different settings. But it really doesn't take too long before you and the machine are friends and you don't think twice about what buttons to push. It's so automatic to me now that I can't even tell you what order I push buttons.....my fingers just do it....sort of like typing.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby newbiecat » April 1st, 2013, 10:16 pm

texcycle wrote: (off topic, but what type of camera are you using to shoot them? I may need to get in touch with you for some video making tips if that's ok)

HI most of the time I use my logitech 9000 webcam to catch the bullet cutting and I use camtasia software to do all the screen capture and editing - and often there is a lot of editing since I so tend to cover lots of detail and that makes the videos too too long.

Mats - well I use my old cricut and pazzle mats and sometimes large pieces of plastic (cant remember the name) sprayed with 3M repostional glue - the only problem I have is when I put the cutting lines too close to the edge of the smaller mats and the machine spits it out as the pinch wheels loose grip - which is when the larger mats really come into their own. Mind I have an old 36 x 12 cricut mat with is great for long things. Dont use a mat at all for vinyl - unless it is a small piece where again it isnt possible to maintain the grip then I stick it to a mat for cutting .

Happy to answer any queries you may have - around here we chat about anything that comes up from the light hearted to more serious stuff

good luck with your decision - like most others I take my cue from Thumper in Bambi - "if you cant say something nice - dont say nuttin at all ...." although alerting bad customer service is useful I think....

I usually suggest that any prospective buyer looks around at the support available pre and post purchase - particularly post purchase since often you simply dont know what it is you dont know ...........and that may be the most important thing you will need to know .......

this cold feels like it is getting worse - it is now 4.00am in London cold, dark and wet - and that just about covers inside my head too apart from the coughing which is why I am upright at the moment - going to take something for that and a warm drink and see if I can stop long enough to go back to sleep - night all :roll:
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby texcycle » April 1st, 2013, 10:36 pm

..... I take my cue from Thumper in Bambi - "if you cant say something nice - dont say nuttin at all ...." although alerting bad customer service is useful I think....
I agree 100%! and appreciate it, too.
texcycle

Postby rachellann » April 1st, 2013, 11:45 pm

The best advice I will give is to do your research and decide what it is you want in a machine and there are all kinds of information out there on all the cutters. Every cutter has its pros and cons and every cutter has it's strong points. Sherri is excellent to work with and has many here who offer help with every question that is asked on the forum. I myself help with start-up tech help and others help if you have other issues there is also the learning center. I own several cutters and have experience with several that I have not own but have had the chance to play with so look for what suits your needs and price range so you can enjoy the time you have to craft.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » April 2nd, 2013, 12:21 am

GREAT advice, Rachellann!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster