Hi I am new and would like some advice

Re: Hi I am new and would like some advice

Postby karenl3912 » May 26th, 2011, 9:45 am

Hi Linda,

If the price range is too high and you are losing the use of your hands. Then the Lynx is good and you could use a pencil blunt end to use the buttons. Another one you should look at is the Gazelle, it has bigger buttons and no pinch wheels to lower and raise. I researched a lot of machines for a lovely lady with the same problem. They will both give you a full 12 inch cut which is one thing that puts me off the silhouette. Good for card makers but I like to cut bigger and I am terrible at cards. I like to cut 12 inch frames for scrapbooking and even wider for vinyl.
You do have to consider what you can use and what you will be using the machine for. I would hang on and have your Lynx demo with Dawn first to see if you can handle it.
Karen.
karenl3912

Postby veronika44 » May 27th, 2011, 12:32 am

count me in!
veronika44

Postby CaseysAngel » May 29th, 2011, 1:01 am

I'm assuming you have made a choice?LOL If so congratulations whichever that may be. I hope you truly enjoy your new cutter honey!!!!!

If we can help you please let us know. I think between all of us here we have every cutter.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby rachellann » June 3rd, 2011, 12:45 pm

Suzan wrote:I think everyone wants to hang out with Dawn, Sherri, Christy, Rachell, and Tyler. What could we call our selves crafting groupies.

Thanks I can't wait til many of us can meet and hang out and have some creative fun.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » June 3rd, 2011, 12:54 pm

I know I have met so many lovely people here I would love to meet them all.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » July 26th, 2011, 1:38 pm

WOW...did spmeone mention a groupie party ? Count me in! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

Linda, I only know the E, my Cougar and the SIL. I love my Cougar, the daddy of the Lynx, and the SIL is great for PnC, but very limiting on size and mediums. Whatever you decide on, tho, I hope you still hang around here. I'm sure that someone on the forum has somekind of experience with the machine you choose and the software you use. We just like to hang out and share ideas, enable people, and share our projects.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby erinnhipp » February 14th, 2012, 11:53 am

i was inthe process of buying a Zing, now i am so confused. Can anyone give me a brief discription of the differences in some of these machines.
erinnhipp

Postby Retta » February 14th, 2012, 12:13 pm

I cannot speak for the Zing as I've not done any research on that machine, just what people have posted in forums I'm on. I will say this, the Cougar - is the most powerful of any of the machines that are "for personal," use. I went with this machine for a number of reasons. I could only afford one machine, and I wanted the very best and would do the most for my money.

One factor to consider is that Blackcat - does take your machine in for trade if you want to upgrade to a larger model, if you decide you want one.

The Cougar can cut SVG files, uses more than one software to be able to cut to it. SCAL, MTC, Inkscape and signcut are some of the examples. This allows for several choices if you design files. I personal have MTC and Inkscape/Signcut. I love Inkscape as it affords many opportunities and options in designing files. I am not sure, but I think MTC may be the only one that works with the Zing? I first owned a Craftrobo - blue lid - purchased new. It didn't work right from the get-go and I was told it was me. I then used a friends that was purchased at the same place - same machine and found out how it cut. My machine was defective and I didn't get the help to be able to determine that until warranty was long past.

On a second note: Dawn and Sherrie - have kept their word about the machine and about their service. I have never appreciated a company more. They earned that and no I don't get paid to say that. They are here to speak with on the forum and so much more. I researched for over a year (took me that long to save up my money.) I looked at every piece of literature, web site and spoke with everyone. The choice in the end was a bit more money than I thought, but it was the best choice I have ever made. They help everyone, you don't have to own a Blackcat here to be able to be in this forum. They have great people helping from Christy, Suzan, Tyler, Rachellann, Rob and so many more.

I can't make the decision for you, you are the only one that can decide what meets your needs. But, once purchased, you will find that those things you didn't think you would be making, you will want to try. Go for the most powerful, options that you can get, for the money you can afford. You won't be sorry if you purchased a Blackcat. But give yourself time to learn the software. Don't have a project due the day after you get it. The Learning Center here is a great place to start learning about the software and the machines. It will come to you!!!

Blessings and good luck with your decision.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Elizabeth » February 14th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Retta makes such good points that I don't have anything to add. I am a very happy member of the Black Cat "Family".
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » February 14th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Well, I have the Cougar and the Silhouette Cameo. I love my cougar!!! but the other day I was engraving with it and then needed some of Tyler's paper cut so I loaded the cardstock into the Silhouette. It was that new Cardstock he got with the stardust stuff....a little thicker than the norm cardstock. The Cameo didn't cut all the way through it and I ended up finishing it with scissors. Next time I will just have to take the engraving tip off my Cougar and cut it with my baby. That's what I get for being lazy. Bt when it comes to the thinner media, it does a fantastic job.

Other than that, the Cameo does do a great job with Print and Cut but it can be frustrating just trying to get it into the right position on the mat, etc to get the registration marks to read. I find it is easier and faster to load it in my Cougar. I don't do PNC all that much and so I don't have it down to a science on the SIL. I bought the SIL to travel with and find that I love the lightweight and will sacrifice the inconveniences for the lightweight. Nowadays, airlines charge so much for baggage and extra weight.

So, if you have a choice and can only get one machine....I would save for the Cougar Lynx. You will get a lot more bang for your buck. It will be a machine that you can grow with. If all you do is Print and Cut and use the thinner media, then the Sil Cameo might be what you would prefer. You will be more limited in your media and currently I am not too thrilled with their blade holder, but I think I heard something about them working on that. I've had to spend too much money on new blade holders because the old one gets clogged up and there is no safe way to clean it out without the possibility of damaging the blade.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Previous

Return to Other Cutters