Blade Life??

Blade Life??

Postby jhankins » August 1st, 2011, 8:28 pm

Hello All! Just a quick question...Does anyone know the life of a 60 degree blade cutting chipboard? For some reason I was cutting chipboard like a champ yesterday, but tonight, at the same setting I used last night, its really cutting poorly. I just wonder if I need a new blade. Would they wear that fast? Thanks Again! Jim. The Gentleman Crafter
jhankins

Re: Blade Life??

Postby Suzan » August 1st, 2011, 10:14 pm

If you are a new user of a cougar, it could be that, And I think it would be depend on how much you cut LOL. When you are new to the machines, we can sometimes cut to deep and such to cause dullness in the blade or a possible chip. I have heard you can extend the life a bit if you take some wadded up foil and pull the blade through a few times. I don't think you will get much more out of it but you can try. Also is it the same type of material as yesterday or different. The insides can have more fiber or glue in them also.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby sherri » August 1st, 2011, 10:51 pm

jhankins wrote:Hello All! Just a quick question...Does anyone know the life of a 60 degree blade cutting chipboard? For some reason I was cutting chipboard like a champ yesterday, but tonight, at the same setting I used last night, its really cutting poorly. I just wonder if I need a new blade. Would they wear that fast? Thanks Again! Jim. The Gentleman Crafter

Jim...it could have to do with the chipboard you are cutting. Could it be damp? is it the same you were cutting the day before? I have gone into my scrap room after cutting for an entire day of chipboard and go back the next day..same settings...same chipboard etc...no go...it is usually due to the fact the chipboard had soaked up the humidity in the room
and then it is over. I see you ordered a blade today but that is also like Suzan said a small chip can cause great havoc with the chipboard. Please keep me posted! I was in a craft fair last year and cut over 3.000 pieces of it...very challenging! LOL
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Thyme » August 2nd, 2011, 3:48 am

It can also depend on the particular chipboard you are cutting. The quality can vary greatly and that will affect how fast your blade dulls
Thyme

Postby Tyler » August 2nd, 2011, 8:52 am

It could easily be the blade or the type of board. It sounds like you are going down the right paths to diagnose the issue. I love the feel and look of chipboard when cut, but it is not for the faint of heart!

Your chipboard was picked up yesterday and should be there in another day or two. That should help you know if it is the chipboard you are currently using or something else. I know with my board, it is kept away from the humidity for that very reason - it soaks it up like a sponge. They should replace dessicant with chipboard! :-)

Best of luck, Jim!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby gardencat » August 2nd, 2011, 12:56 pm

Tyler, I know you carry different weights of chipboard but can you give me any indication of how the lighter weight copares to cereal box board?
I've cut a few things out of that recently, and it worked pretty well, maybe because we haven't had rain here in about 4 weeks and everything is drier than heck, so humidity is probably not a problem. Is your lightweight stuff likely to cut similarily or is the cereal box stuff much lighter and easier to get through?
gardencat

Postby Tyler » August 2nd, 2011, 6:01 pm

Depends on the brand of cereal you are using.

That may sound a little funny, but it is so true. Some types have a laminated paper outside while others are printed strait to the core. Some varieties have a completely different box makeup than others, even among the same brands. Like most chipboard, it is nearly impossible to be consistent, and the densities of the stuff are through the roof. Some have had success with cereal boxes, while others have spent a long time, only to be frustrated. There have been occasions where one person has had success cutting it while another person hasn't when they are both using the same machine, blade, and material (so it can come down to user error).

Since you asked, here are my personal thoughts though. I would say it is a little thicker than cereal box board, though comparable at the same time (it is a tough call since cereal board generally has a laminated side, affecting consistency,thickness, and density). There can also be some warping in the cereal board, so that will affect how it cuts as well.

Though it seems to be a tad thicker, my board seems to cut similarly or better than the thinner cereal box stuff from what I have done.

Again it is completely personal preference. One great thing about the stuff I am carrying is that it is consistent, and has been tested to cut with the machines. It is sealed away from the humidity as well. In fact, it is the same stuff that Sherri cut her 3000 pieces out of for the craft fair that she did.

I hope that helps a bit - let me know if you have any other questions.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby jhankins » August 2nd, 2011, 8:54 pm

Thanks for all the input...You know I've decided I'm going to call it, "Fun Frustration." The frustrating part is not the machine but my lack of time on which to learn how this machine works. As Suzan stated I am a BIG newbie and it's going to take time. There is nothing I love more than finding something I have no idea how to do and learning how to do it. So far, I set time out every day to try different techniques.

The chip I've been using is Grafix Natural, Medium Weight 12x12 .030 in thickness. I believe that's basically 1/8th of an inch. I really like to use their chip for my book covers and boxes. It has a great weight and feel to it. Like I had posted previously, I have had excellent results...I also have used a bunch of chip that I purchased from Archivers. It was a tad bit thinner but not much. This, however, was not stored very well in a jumble under their counter. (Not trying to dish them here...It's one of my favorite stores) same results. I'm looking forward to receiving Tyler’s chip and also having a whole day where I can really learn what to do.

Anyway on with the saga (sorry)...Tonight's test trial has me convinced about the blade. First, I can only imagine how hard it must be on the blade to cut chip. Especially doing this over and over as I did the first day with the best results. That said, I'm begging you not to kick me here...I had some new deep cut blades from my "CE" machine sitting in my tool box. So I placed them in the blade holder. Pushed the blade as far down as it would go. Placed it in the blade housing used a setting of V=05 and F=210. Perfect once again! They just popped out perfect. So, I believe, with the new blades and holders I purchased from Sherri yesterday combined with Tyler's chip, there will be no stopping the things I can make!

Gardencat, I know what you’re saying about the humidity. I'm in Austin, Texas and with today's 107 degree record breaking temps and total lack of water...there was no chance of humidity! I wish I remembered what rain looked like. The poor old oaks on my property are completely dead! I've probably cut down over 50 tress this year. This does not include the loss of 37 last year. Totally from stress…Sadly, I moved to this property because of its trees. I'll keep praying...I might even do some kind of rain dance before it's over...LOL!

Thanks Again All for Your Help and Inspiration!

Jim
The Gentleman Crafter
jhankins

Postby Suzan » August 2nd, 2011, 10:01 pm

No problem Jim, you can use those blades, you can even use the mats, but you have to do some adjusting because they a scad thicker, no clue what a scad is in height but just a little.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby gardencat » August 2nd, 2011, 10:23 pm

Holy heck Jim, 107 is brutal. Are you forbidden to water at all? My plants are suffering but I am making choices to give water to a few of my most precious plants and be prepared to sacrifice some of the others. The grass can die, never been a big fan of suburban lawns anyway, but some of my peonies and clematis vines I would hate to lose. I'm at the point of saving the water I use to rinse dishes to throw into the garden. My son's girlfriend has a vegetable garden and has started taking a bucket into the shower with her to catch any extra water and use it to water her vegetables. Of course, our gardens are obviously a lot smaller than yours, a bucket of shower water wouldn't go very far among 80 trees.
gardencat

Postby PennyDuncan » August 2nd, 2011, 10:30 pm

And I thought the heat index of 105 was bad....I SO feel for you all down there!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby sherri » August 2nd, 2011, 11:38 pm

Jim..I just wanted to drop in and tell you how impressed I am at your determination! Please keep it up we need some more male influence around here! We LOVE it!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Suzan » August 2nd, 2011, 11:52 pm

Hey he is the fourth male, and thank goodness his name isn't Bryan. I only say that because both Bryan's are Bryan with S's.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby jhankins » August 3rd, 2011, 12:40 am

I know exactly what you are saying Gardencat. It seems like the last four or five years now, Texas or at least central Texas has been in drought. I believe four years ago, I planted eight Bradford Pears around an arched picket fence that leads to what I call affectionately my barn. (city boy that has moved to the country and trying to pick up the lingo of the farmers!). We were on complete water restriction. Stage four. We can only use water for washing dishes and taking baths, etc. I too would take showers in the guest bath/shower combo, plug the drain just to save the bath water to water those stupid trees. I'd would haul it out there in tubs on my John Deere riding lawnmower and wagon (once again city boy mentality...trying to fit into country living. Especially, to the older farmers that drive by just to see what city boy is crazy enough to do now! Haha!). Today they are still living though. Strangely, the oaks, scrub oaks, live oaks and my beloved old red oaks that are natives just completely dead. Some as wide as my body. It's just heart breaking.

Anyway, I know this forum is not to talk about the heat in Texas...sorry...

Sherri, do you know when the click blade holders might be in stock? In was so tempted to order them from I think Thyme's eBay shop on eBay UK. I just need to calm down and be patient.

Thanks again for your welcome and kind words. I'm glad I could be here to help represent the male population. Just call me Male#4... I may not be able to fix your car, but I'm willing to help hold the tool belt...

Jim
The Gentleman Crafter
jhankins

Postby Thyme » August 3rd, 2011, 3:07 am

Hi Jim,
Its fine to use the cricut deepcut blades. Its also fine to talk about Texas heat. The black cat forums are not known for staying on topic!
The Click holders should be in stock soon, I would advise you wait for them rather than buying from my Ebay shop cos we have redesigned them and they will be a better fit for the Cats
Thyme

Postby jhankins » August 3rd, 2011, 7:12 am

Great! Can't wait!

Thanks Tons!

Jim
The Gentleman Crafter
jhankins

Postby Gigi » August 3rd, 2011, 9:23 am

Thyme wrote:Hi Jim,
Its fine to use the cricut deepcut blades. Its also fine to talk about Texas heat. The black cat forums are not known for staying on topic!
The Click holders should be in stock soon, I would advise you wait for them rather than buying from my Ebay shop cos we have redesigned them and they will be a better fit for the Cats

REALLY Dawn?? Us not stay on topic???!!!??? :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

And Jim - seriously - never worry about talking about anything. Not sure there are many topics on there that are totally reflective of the subject! We just go with the flow so no problem!! Please be safe in that heat. And I hope you get some much needed rain soon...... (and I thought Southern CA was bad - just NO comparison to what TX is going through :( )
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » August 3rd, 2011, 10:07 am

I cut Graphix all the time and it will cut great and does cut great but it's thick. It will definately wear the blade quicker . I would also suggest using the 60 degree plus long shaft blade to cut it. I"m actually quite impressed you got a great cut with just a 60 degree blade to tell you the truth but then again I've never tried it. I jump straight for the long shaft with the thick stuff.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby sherri » August 5th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Jim you are doing great...with your trees and your crafting...LOL The click blades should be here soon. I got a DHL number today. I will let you know.
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar