Which pens are best?

Which pens are best?

Postby Shoshi » January 13th, 2020, 5:09 pm

I want to do some drawing with my Cougar, and wonder which pens people recommend as being best for this. I would like to use something that has a relatively fine line, and is waterproof and light fast once dry. For my Zentangle drawings I use either a Kuretake Zig Millennium or a Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen - would either of these be suitable, or would the action of the machine damage the tips?

Shoshi
Shoshi

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 13 in

Re: Which pens are best?

Postby Gigi » January 13th, 2020, 5:17 pm

I am familiar with those pens as I used to play with Zentangle (never spent enough time with it!) and the machine will not damage the tips as long as your pressure is not too high and you are "slamming" it onto the mat or dragging it! Almost any pen will fit with the pen tools, so I would suggest trying to see what responds the best. Gel pens are great as long as they are not "too wet" so things dont smear along the way.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » January 13th, 2020, 6:44 pm

I ditto what Gigi said. You can pretty much use any pen that you have (which is one of the nice things about the pen holder tool with these cutters.) You will just have to play with the ones you have and see what gives you the best results for what you want. The key to not damaging a tip is as Gigi noted, light pressure to get the pen to work, but not too much to compress the pen tip. You will probably also want to make sure that you do not have a roller that will roll over the pen work.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Shoshi » January 14th, 2020, 9:52 am

Thank you for your helpful replies. You have reassured me that my existing pens will probably do fine. What I am hoping to achieve with my machine is the look that many card makers are getting with a combination of die-cutting and stamping - but without the expense of having to stock up my studio with loads of dies and stamps!! I'm working on the designs in Inkscape at the moment. Using my drawing pens will enable me to colour the images with water-based media. I also need to start learning SCAL which I recently acquired.

Shoshi
Shoshi

Postby Gigi » January 14th, 2020, 10:07 am

I love doing print and cut - similar to what you are doing with the addition of drawing instead of printing - love the look. Would love to see what you create when you are ready to share - I am sure it will be inspiring.

SCAL is not difficult to learn and can do a lot more than most realize. I enjoy using it and know I have only scratched the surface. You are doing a great job of getting back into it. Have fun!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Shoshi » January 14th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Thank you, Gigi. I've never tried print and cut. I don't know where the laser is on the Cougar (if there is one) and how to work it. I find it hard enough setting the origin point to the corner of the mat because the buttons are really stiff (I got a replacement set, and they've gone as stiff as the original set!) and I'm not sure I'd be able to set it accurately enough for print and cut.

Another reason I'm not so keen on printing is that I've got an inkjet printer and the ink is not waterproof. This makes colouring difficult.

Shoshi
Shoshi

Postby Gigi » January 14th, 2020, 3:48 pm

True -depends on what you are coloring with. I have an inkjet and laser printer so I go back and forth between the two. I love to use inkjet on vellum and then heat emboss the vellum printing because it is still wet for a few - makes it look hand done.

As I recall the laser is on the origin button - I think when you hit it a second time the laser light comes on. It's been a while!! :) You should try it some time and just see how you like it. You will be addicted if you can get the settings right. And remember, you can use the keyboard keys to move to each point which will make it a lot easier.......... just pushing you a little out of your comfort zone! :)

Not saying you have to - just that it is possible if you want to play!! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Shoshi » January 15th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Thanks Gigi. I don't have a lot of markers for colouring, and usually use watercolours, watercolour pencils or Inktense pencils, or acrylics - all water based. I also use coloured pencils. I've never tried printing on vellum.

Next time I'm in my studio I shall have a look for the laser on my cutter. Certainly print and cut sounds like something worth exploring, if SCAL is going to make this easier. I'm exploring the program a bit, and watching some Youtube videos on it so hopefully it won't be long before I am more familiar with it. Also I didn't know you could control where the blade is by using your keyboard. Soooo much to learn...

Shoshi
Shoshi

Postby Gigi » January 16th, 2020, 4:13 pm

You will get there. And watercolors are a great medium for coloring. Based on some of your other posts I am guessing you are a "real" artist, unlike me who dabbles in all of it and pretends to be! I love using the intense pencils for watercolor and other mediums. But most of the time I have no clue what I am doing - I am just coloring an image! Which has given me the utmost respect for someone who is a true artist.

Would love to see what you create.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar