Implications of a move to windows 10

Implications of a move to windows 10

Postby pigtailpat » October 30th, 2019, 4:00 am

Hello all!

I have been absent so long here! I had my own health issues on top. In May 2019 I was discovered to have a huge non-malignant lesion on the covering of my brain, and I needed a craniotomy for the surgeon to access it and get rid of it. The aftermath has been a slow, hard recovery. Only now am I up to returning to quilting (which remains a passion) and also back to the cougar when I need her (for me the machine was always a female cat - as I have been surrounded for eons by men having four boys and the husband).

I spent many years trying to avoid windows 10. Now that the EOL is upon us, I have no choice but to switch to a new machine and windows 10. What are the implications in terms of usage of the cougar? Is there a new specific driver for it? How can I find it? Can any of you please guide me, as because of my health and my surgery earlier this year, my memory is not the best - but I am determined to return to normal and enjoy everything I have, including the cat.

I have make the cut and SCAL as my programs. I do have Dawn's signcut license, but this will expire in December, I never bought the lifetime license (I had been renewing the license with her periodically which is now impossible), and with all the expenses - I am unlikely to spend the money to convert the license. Signcut, at least for me - is so tied to her, it would make me too sad to even work in it.

Thanks to all of you!

Pat
XXOO
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Implications of a move to windows 10

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2019, 10:09 am

Pat -

First of all, I am so sorry for all you have been through with the serious health issues. Thank you for sharing. I can only imagine how difficult the recovery has been, but am so very glad to hear that you are indeed recovering and wanting to get back to what you love. Your quilts are stunning and I am sure you must have a renewed passion for making them. So happy for you.

As far as Windows 10 in concerned there are no problems. I have been using it almost since it came out. I was using SCAL at the time and it did not affect the drivers or any operations of the machine. In fact, I don't recall any of my programs having an issue or hardware having an issue. Everything responded immediately.

If you have any issues, please let us know. But you can check that concern off your list - well I understand there is a bit of "breath holding" every time there is a conversion to a new operating platform. But this is one of the most problem free and user friendly.

Wishing the you best from here on in - and please keep us posted on you and Windows 10!

Take good care.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » October 30th, 2019, 11:59 am

Thanks for the reassurance Gigi. I will probably email craftedge to find out how to proceed. And I still have my MTC license information. Once all is set up, I will have a go at some cutting just for testing. On Dawn's and Sherri's advise, I bought that special serial to usb adapter as I had some trouble on win 7 after some update and haven't had trouble since.

I guess the bright side will be faster cutting with a more powerful computer, despite the pits of switching everything over.

Pat
XXOO
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2019, 7:24 pm

You dont have to email craftedge, Pat. There is nothing you need to do as long as you have kept your software updated. If not, just be sure you update and all will be fine. You don't have to do anything. I have checked MTC as well when I converted and there were no issues with it either.

All will be well - just take a deep breath and go for it. You will love it!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » October 31st, 2019, 10:09 am

Pat, sorry to hear of your health issues. Glad to hear things were treatable and you are recovering well.

If I understood your questions concerns, the primary issue for you that is concerning is that you will need to get a whole new computer with Windows 10 rather than simply updating a present computer from on older OS to Windows 10 - is that correct? If so, you are concerned about having to then install SCAL, MTC, and needed drivers for your Black Cat Cougar cutter.

If I am correct and you are installing everything new on a new computer, then With MTC, you were not limited to a couple of computers so you can download and install it from their website. Don’t forget to also get the cutter “plugins” you need. Not sure which one ou used previously but you should probably download the Cougar one and the KNK Maxx one as they both work with the Cougar. You will also wat to make sure you get your X/Y offsets and such for print and cuts off your old setup and plug those in on the new install. Also, since MTC has not been updated in years, etc. you need to know that SCAL offers a lot more tools and features then MTC now and s being regularly updated. As a result, if I were going to spend time “relearning” either, wold go with SCAL first and you may find that it does all you need ad you need not worry about relearning MTC.

As far as installing SCAL, Craftedge does limit your number of installations and computers installed on so you will want to “uninstall” SCAL from the old computer to preserve your limited installations. If I recall correctly, f you uninstall it first, it goes out online to Craftedge to deactivate that installation and will then let you install on new computer. F you cannot do that for some reason, I think you can reach out it to Craftedge and they can manually deactivate that install. I believe you are limited to having it installed on two computers at any given time. I would download and install from their site to ensure that you have the most recent version installed. Since it has been a while, not sure whic version you last owned, so make sure you are getting the right version. SCAL 5 has been out for a bit so if you had not paid to update to that, it may be worth it at some point - especially if you are having to relearn, you could start there to begin with. Again, any settings or calibration figures you have on the old computer, you will want to transfer over to your new computer and software installation so you won’t need to recalibrate and find those again.

If you have any problems, let us know and we will try to help you as needed. Good to have you back.

As far as the drivers and such needed for the Cougar. I think those are installed with either MTC or SCAL. I could be remembering that incorrectly though. if they don’t load.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » October 31st, 2019, 12:12 pm

Thanks Melanie. Would just like to add that it is usually a good idea when changing a new computer or new printer to recalibrate the x and y numbers as they might be slightly off - and it is a simple process. It's a good idea, just to be safe.

Enjoy Windows 10. I think once you get used to it you will love it. And I am so glad they are not totally changing the system anymore - just updated. It makes so much more sense and it much easier on all of us!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » November 1st, 2019, 8:09 am

Yes I agree, recalibrating when using a new printer is always the best idea - but starting with your old numbers from the old computer often works fine and it is a good place to "start" and then see if it is off and if it is, then you usually only need to tweak a little
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar