Laser Light Only Illuminates After I Press the Begin Tab

Laser Light Only Illuminates After I Press the Begin Tab

Postby belfry11 » April 20th, 2015, 9:53 pm

I have a 13 inch Black Cat cutter and MTC 4.6.1. When I cut using WYSIWYG, the alignment laser does not illuminate on the upper right-hand corner of my material, but it used too. I need that red laser light for correct positioning. Oddly, the laser light only illuminates after I press the Begin Tab in the MTC software program. Meaning the light illuminates while the carriage is in motion, when moving into position to cut. After the carriage gets to it's starting point, the laser light turns off. I need the laser light to illuminate in the corner of my material before the carriage moves. What should I do?

Thanks,
Belfry
belfry11

Cutter: Cougar 13 inches

Re: Laser Light Only Illuminates After I Press the Begin Tab

Postby Gigi » April 21st, 2015, 12:34 am

Lisa -

I am sorry you are experiencing difficulty. Since the laser light is coming on, I would suggest you uninstall and re-install MTC to see if that resolves the problem.

Since the machines ship with SCAL and that is the software we support, we highly recommend at some point, switching over to SCAL to continue to get support. As far as we can tell there is no support for MTC from the creator of that software at this point, and we have ongoing support from Brandon for SCAL and will continue to. It would be beneficial in the long run to use a software that we can continue to support.

In the meantime, I hope re-installing solves the issue......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » April 21st, 2015, 7:52 am

First, you shouldn't need to uninstall and reinstall MTC. Second, I see that you joined back in July of 2011 and you have a Cougar and not a SB so I believe that you either got your machine with MTC or got it without any software because you already had MTC which was the original program many of us got our Cougars to work with. Therefore I suspect that, in fact, like mine, your machine was not originally shipped with SCAL. It wasn't until later that they chose to ship with SCAL. However, as Gigi noted - they have chosen to go with SCAL now with the Silver Bullets. As a result, the BC/SB staff really don't offer any support here anymore with MTC other than the casual user like myself who still prefers to use MTC with my cutter who try to help when we can. You can also get support with MTC no matter your cutter of choice on both their forum and through their support.

So, first let's get a couple of questions answered - which cutter plugin are you using within MTC with your cutter? the Black Cat one or the KNK Maxx one? Both are available and both will work with your Black Cat. You just need to make sure the baud rate in the KNK one matches the Cougar's which I believe is 38400 and that you select the KNK Maxx as the cutter. The KNK Maxx one was released after the BC one so it has an additional "knife point" mode within it. As a result, I would recommend using that plugin if you are not doing so. However, if you are using the BC plugin, I will need to go and play with my cutter and that plugin to try and help as I haven't used it in years with it and would need to check a few things when using it. I would be Going on memory which would probably be a very bad thing! ;)

Feel free to pm me on this forum or the MTC forum (user name is the same on both sites) or you can email me from their forum (my email address is in my profile over there - don't think you can get to that on here.) and I can try to help a little more. In the interim, I will try to find a little time to go into my craft room and look at it while I wait for you to tell me which plugin you are using.

Edited to fix glaring typos (though there are probably still more I missed) and misstatement. See further answer below on how to turn on your laser light.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby MeFlick » April 21st, 2015, 9:32 am

Ok, seems my followup answer "disappeared" into cyberspace so trying again!

I took some time to go into my craft room and see what I could figure out. In fact, it really doesn't matter which cutter plugin you are using within MTC. I tested with both the plugins and the different modes to see if there was any difference. They both work the same way when using the laser light.

If you are like me, perhaps it has been a while since you cut using WYSIWYG (I tend to use "knife point" mode the most with my cutter - which is the same as SCAL's "origin cutting" I believe.) If so, like me, you may have forgotten that you have to manually turn on the laser light on the BC Cougar machines first. In order to do so, you take the cutter "offline" by pressing the "online" button, then you press the menu button which should then show on the display on the machine "laser on/off", you then press the "origin" button (the target looking one at the end) to turn it on (or off - it will toggle between the two). Once the laser is on, it should have automatically put the machine back on line. If not, make sure to put it back on line. As you indicated, the laser will then stay on while moving to its starting cutting point and then turn off automatically. Hopefully that works for you. If not, feel free to contact me so I can see If I can provide any further help.
Last edited by MeFlick on April 21st, 2015, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » April 21st, 2015, 9:33 am

Thanks Mel - I posted what I did per Sherri's guidance and advice.

For ongoing support, it would be best to move to a software that is supported by the creator. That being said, your help is appreciated.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » April 21st, 2015, 9:44 am

Thanks Gigi and I understand. Just wanted to point out that due to the fact that it was a Cougar she was asking about and when she joined the forum - MTC was probably the program she had when she got the cutter. I understand that they have made a definitive choice to move to SCAL and therefore any "support" to be found for using MTC with it will have to come through other users like me or perhaps the MTC sites themselves. I understand that I am the "ugly step child" here in my choice to use a different program. As long as Sherri is fine with it, I will continue to try to offer support or help where I can when someone raises a question in regards to using MTC with their cutter. My goal is not to cause conflict but to continue to use my Cougar to its full potential and to help others who may chose to use a different program for whatever reason. After all, its one more BC/SB cutter being sold or used that is important, not the software of choice used. One of the reason I got this machine is because I can choose to use several different programs with it if I want. I own multiple cutters and multiple programs for that reason.
Last edited by MeFlick on April 21st, 2015, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » April 21st, 2015, 9:57 am

Mel - you are NOT the ugly step child nor will you be. And we never shipped machines with MTC but there was of course the option to buy it. And we all feel badly for those who have it and now cannot get support from the designer.

I was hoping you would see the thread and have other ideas and I always appreciate the help. We just do not offer ongoing support for any software other than SCAL because of the relationship we have with Brandon.

Thank you for understanding. No ugly step children here........

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » April 21st, 2015, 10:01 am

Thank you Gigi. :bighug: I did edit my answer above to change my statement of MTC coming with the cutter. I assume like me, they had MTC and then got the Cougar or got MTC and the Cougar before SCAL was an option.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby PennyDuncan » April 21st, 2015, 10:20 am

I would also like to add that I would strongly suggest you consider making the switch to SCAL4 for several reasons.....not only for the proper drivers that have been created by Brandon for the cutter you are using......(it still irritates me to this day that one would have to use a driver written for another brand of machine simply because the creator of the software won't write a plugin for each brand on the market the software is compatible with)......but that's another issue.....but Brandon has delibertly written the program to work with the cutters he supports.....so you have a driver specific for your machine....therefore it is much more reliable and efficient....On top of that....MTC has not been updated with features and improvements in well over a year and half....there is SO MUCH MORE Brandon has added to SCAL4 and continues to add....and his response to issues is AMAZING!!! He is very prompt and thorough.....they exact same customer service we receive from the creators of the BC & SB machines....

It is all around hands down a better program then MTC is now......and worth the time and effor to learn or relearn if you've used previous version of SCAL.....you will be amazed by the improvements......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » April 21st, 2015, 10:56 am

Totally understand Mel - and like Penny and I both said - we just want to see people get the best support they can get moving forward. And MTC is not going anywhere. I understand options for software - I have many programs that I go back and forth to, but honestly, if I was not able to get support for some of them, I would ditch them, as I have in the past. I appreciate the community of users who provide help when it is needed, just like we do here on the forum. But if we didn't have the machine developer, like Sherri or Dawn here, I would be hard pressed to want to provide support at some point as there needs to be someone who can address those questions when you hit a brick wall and run out of answers, as we all do at times.

I just want the best experience for everyone, and as long as Andy was supporting the software and doing "new things" it was understandable that there would be a following. I still have MTC on my computer - I just don't use it because of the improvements in SCAL, and I never fully jumped on the MTC bandwagon. And I understand being mentally invested in a software - you know it and it's like a friend - you know what it will do , how it will do it, and it's easy for all of those reasons. I DO get it. But it is quickly becoming stale because it is not getting the attention it needs as others continue to grow and expand to a growing market.

Again - just want the best user experience for all and want everyone to feel that they can get answers if we don't have them.......

Don't mean to beat this into the ground - my only intent it to be sure every user experience is the best that it can be.....thanks!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elsa » April 21st, 2015, 11:39 am

Like Mel, I am also an ugly step child. I have a Cougar, which I love, and I, too, prefer to use MTC. I have Scal4 Pro and have used it. It HAS greatly improved and comes closer to offering what MTC has offered for years. If I were buying a Silver Bullet today, I could accept the fact that I would have to use Scal or not buy. But, when the Cougar was first being introduced, I bought it on recommendation of the developer of MTC. MTC was one of the recommended softwares by the manufacturer. We were assured numerous times that all software that would work with the machine would always be supported. The very fact that the Cougar would work with MTC was the deciding factor for many a purchase. I don't know what happened between the two factions nor do I care. It has just put some of us in a potential pickle after having made a purchase in good faith. The choice of software I judge to be the best for me is mine to make as it is for everyone else. I just pray I never have any problems with my Cougar because I am afraid I will have to look elsewhere for a machine. I will not be forced to use a particular software program to get support for any machine. I've been down this road before. Remember Provo Craft? That is why I have a Cougar to start with. Recommended to me by the owner of MTC.
Where the implication that MTC users can not get support originated from, I have no idea, but it is so untrue it boggles my mind.
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby MeFlick » April 21st, 2015, 11:47 am

I am not going to get into a debate with anyone on the pros and cons of the programs. There is still a vibrant MTC forum and support for those of us who choose to use it with our BC/SB or other cutters. Personal choice. I could say more, but why bother, but I will stop with that other than to say it is in fact being beat into the ground when it is not necessary.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby PennyDuncan » April 21st, 2015, 11:50 am

Because Elsa it has been proven time and time again when assistance has been asked directly to the creator of the software...Andy.....we've all been around the MTC issue for years and we've experienced it all....I think it is awesome that you find MTC works best for you....that's the good thing about there being so many choices for software.....some like one some like others....but the facts still show the same....there is no direct support from the creator of MTC for the Silver Bullet/Black Cat Cougar cutters...they refuse to be supportive of creating the drivers directly for these machines.....there's no disputing that....of course you have the ability to use the basic driver originally created for the Black Cat Cougars years ago....but if you want any additional you have no other option but to use the KNK driver.....

MTC does not contain alot of the new features Brandon has added to SCAL4.....now you can find a back door solution for alot of them...but none of the direct additions he's made.....Andy walked away from updating the MTC software when he came out with the PCS software.......and it's a shame...because at one time MTC was a wonderful program......I also have it installed on my laptop......in fact I decided to try to play with it again the other day...and quickly closed it because there is truly no comparison between the improvements of SCAL4 to MTC......
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » April 21st, 2015, 12:40 pm

You are all correct. We did recommend MTC early on when it was new and supported the machine drivers. And you can certainly use whatever software you have - be it MTC, Signcut, SCAL, Corel Draw, Illustrator, or Inkscape. User preference and we all get that. But... if a user has problems with a machine and they are using MTC, we are going to recommend that they download a copy of SCAL and see if that resolves the problem. It is the program bundled with the machine and it is the program where we get support from the developer.

I am glad that those of you using MTC have support by other users, as we do here on the forum. Again, we just want the best experience for all and the most current and updated support.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » April 21st, 2015, 3:23 pm

Just sort of skimmed the posts but just wanted to jump in and say that I have MTC and am really comfortable with it. I also have a Cougar, if I need to plug it up. I really need to decide what to do with it now that I will no longer have another place to use it at. But I will think on that another day. LOL

So if anyone needs help with MTC, I may be able to jump in. I am trying to get back into the swing of things and keep up with the forum once again.

I AM learning SCAL4 and it is coming along quite quickly. :) I will continue with both programs for awhile.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby PennyDuncan » April 21st, 2015, 6:25 pm

Kim I for one am very happy to see you back.......I think so many of us are trying to get back at it again....I know I have truly missed being in the mix!!! LOL
PennyDuncan

Postby sherri » April 21st, 2015, 9:26 pm

MeFlick wrote:Thanks Gigi and I understand. Just wanted to point out that due to the fact that it was a Cougar she was asking about and when she joined the forum - MTC was probably the program she had when she got the cutter. I understand that they have made a definitive choice to move to SCAL and therefore any "support" to be found for using MTC with it will have to come through other users like me or perhaps the MTC sites themselves. I understand that I am the "ugly step child" here in my choice to use a different program. As long as Sherri is fine with it, I will continue to try to offer support or help where I can when someone raises a question in regards to using MTC with their cutter. My goal is not to cause conflict but to continue to use my Cougar to its full potential and to help others who may chose to use a different program for whatever reason. After all, its one more BC/SB cutter being sold or used that is important, not the software of choice used. One of the reason I got this machine is because I can choose to use several different programs with it if I want. I own multiple cutters and multiple programs for that reason.

Mel, I have ALWAYS appreciated your help with MTC. I am SO DISTRESSED to see all of this back and forth. I am so hurt to think you feel like an "ugly step-child"...that is NEVER what I want ANYONE to think or feel on my forum or as a part of my family!

I have never spoken on this topic before for good reason but considering what is going on I have decided I will now. First and foremost I treasure every customer I have....I think you all know that and if I have not spent enough time conveying it, I am sorry but let it be said now..I DO and I always will. I had no choice but to change the name on the machine. We all know that. I had no choice in Andy choosing to bundle his software with a close competitor. We were not treated well on the forum after that. So, like the machine, I had to leave. BUT...it caused me to create this forum and I am so happy I did! There are many people loyal to certain machines, certain software and certain people. It is what makes the World go round. I am o.k. with all of that. What I am not o.k. with is any of my customers thinking they are considered less important to me than another because they chose to be friends with someone else or chose a different machine or software. Gigi spoke to me about this today asking my direction to help this customer. I came to see what it was all about and read some of this. What I meant when I told her it is not being supported is this. I get a lot of calls per week regarding Andy and MTC and that it is no longer being supported. A post was just make on the MTC Yahoo group last week about it. People are wondering if there are going to be updates etc. We cannot answer that. Only Andy can. So I tell people that if you still LOVE MTC and many of my owners do, go to the yahoo group or come to the forum and you will get help at either of those places. IF they are having and issue with their machine not working and they have gotten a new computer or rebooted a computer that crashed and are having trouble they cannot go to Andy as the SCAL people can to Brandon...that is just the way it is. I will often tell them to download the trial version of SCAL and if the problem is corrected they may want to consider buying SCAL. If you have another solution...PLEASE let me know. I cannot leave a customer hanging without an answer and if it is a software issue I can only do so much to help and then I turn it over to the software developer. It is their responsibility to figure it out. I am happy to assist in anyway I can but the last thing I want is controversy on this forum about this software or that software. Better than 60% of my sales are graphics people or businesses and they ALL use MAC with AI so I don't run into these situations as much as we used to. I have tech support helping as it relates to the machine but it is often a software issue and they need to go to whoever is supporting that software...not the people using it, but the staff that supports it.

Again, I VERY MUCH appreciate you being here to help as do the people who help me that may no longer be using MTC. It is great that those people have a place to go..but if it becomes more of an issue than we can deal with I don't know where to send them for MTC forum or the yahoo group. :-)
Sherri
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby sherri » April 21st, 2015, 9:32 pm

MeFlick wrote:Thank you Gigi. :bighug: I did edit my answer above to change my statement of MTC coming with the cutter. I assume like me, they had MTC and then got the Cougar or got MTC and the Cougar before SCAL was an option.

Just to clarify...We bundled our machines with sign cut to begin with. People who wanted MTC got a discount if they had it or wanted it. We then created the Silver Bullet in July of 2012 and chose to bundle it with SCAL. Andy was already working with KNK to bundle his software with their machines. I still have people who ask me about MTC and I tell them many people are happy with it and they should investigate it if they think they might want it. I have no way to bundle it with my machine so I have no options for them. Once again, please remember, the majority of my business because of the fact this is a professional machine is of interest to people who run it all day long and they are normally running a MAC and Adobe Illustrator...so the choice is already made before they even contact me.
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby sherri » April 21st, 2015, 9:54 pm

Elsa wrote:Like Mel, I am also an ugly step child. I have a Cougar, which I love, and I, too, prefer to use MTC. I have Scal4 Pro and have used it. It HAS greatly improved and comes closer to offering what MTC has offered for years. If I were buying a Silver Bullet today, I could accept the fact that I would have to use Scal or not buy. But, when the Cougar was first being introduced, I bought it on recommendation of the developer of MTC. MTC was one of the recommended softwares by the manufacturer. We were assured numerous times that all software that would work with the machine would always be supported. The very fact that the Cougar would work with MTC was the deciding factor for many a purchase. I don't know what happened between the two factions nor do I care. It has just put some of us in a potential pickle after having made a purchase in good faith. The choice of software I judge to be the best for me is mine to make as it is for everyone else. I just pray I never have any problems with my Cougar because I am afraid I will have to look elsewhere for a machine. I will not be forced to use a particular software program to get support for any machine. I've been down this road before. Remember Provo Craft? That is why I have a Cougar to start with. Recommended to me by the owner of MTC.
Where the implication that MTC users can not get support originated from, I have no idea, but it is so untrue it boggles my mind.

Elsa, like Mel...I am distressed to hear you say this as well. Again, ALL my customers are very importatn to me and no one should feel like an outsider..so PLEASE don't feel that way.

To your points here. If Andy the developer of the software, as you noted above told you that it would always be supported he was wrong to say that. I NEVER told anyone that any software would EVER be forever. It is out of his power and my power to make a statement like that. It is unrealistic at best. Look at the changes ALL software has.....that is why most charge for an upgrade. Andy did not...that was his choice and if he had I KNOW people would have and still would be happy to pay for an upgrade. My committment to my customers is that you will always have software that will run your machine and I HOPE it is the software you love and are used to but if not, we will see to it that we do everything in our power to get you the help that you need. With the change in technology and software programs that run our computers it is never a given that it is all going to work together. As I said above to Mel, I get calls at least weekly if not daily telling me they have a new computer and it is not loading properly. I don't know what to tell them, so as I also stated above I send them to where I know they can possibly get the help they need. I also know MANY of my customers ran both versions of the software and most chose MTC as it was a better program. Many of them have also told me they have switched but only due to the improvements in SCAl and you pointed out...it took a LONG time for those improvements. I was frustrated myself but I also knew he was working on the PC and MAC platforms and it takes a long time to do one let alone two so I accepted it. There are still cricut users that use MTC and still love it but remember they were told, put it on numerous computers and know there will be a day when it will not work. That is not Andy's fault ...it is technology moving forward. So a promise I can keep with you is that if your machine ever fails to work due to a software issue I will do everything in my power to get you the help that you need...and as demonstrated by Mel and a few others here that still run MTC, you have help. Please try to understand this is about the DEVELOPER of any of the software helping figure out the issues..it is beyond what the "user" of the software can help with. If you are not involved in it on a daily basis like I am I am sure it is confusing....but know that I am there for my customers and these machines that I so believe in and the fact many of you are still using those machines this long after the purchase and they still operate well is a testament to my commitment to all of you that it is a "forever" machine. If I was a software developer I could give you a guarantee on that too but I am not....as a matter of fact most of you know I detest software...so I will stick with what i do best and carry on in the hopes this issue can be put to rest and know that I feel the same way about all of you....and NONE of you are considered a step anything with me..you are all family!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby sherri » April 21st, 2015, 10:00 pm

kim wrote:Just sort of skimmed the posts but just wanted to jump in and say that I have MTC and am really comfortable with it. I also have a Cougar, if I need to plug it up. I really need to decide what to do with it now that I will no longer have another place to use it at. But I will think on that another day. LOL

So if anyone needs help with MTC, I may be able to jump in. I am trying to get back into the swing of things and keep up with the forum once again.

I AM learning SCAL4 and it is coming along quite quickly. :) I will continue with both programs for awhile.

Kim SO GOOD to see you back. I have been very absent here. I am very busy, still at work at 10:00 p.m. and a few hours to go so I don't get here as often as I would like but wanted to take a moment to thank ALL of you who run our machines and are offering to help the people with MTC...the problem runs deeper than that tho'. It is what to do when it is not an answer anyone can come up with and we have to go to the developer. I will continue to send people here and the MTC forum and yahoo group in the hopes they will get the help they need for as long as possible. Happy to "see" you ALL!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar