HELP! can't get Cougar to cut right

HELP! can't get Cougar to cut right

Postby sandyh124 » March 22nd, 2015, 7:01 pm

The title says it all. I've not used the machine much in the last year, (health & family issues) but I've kept up with the updates on MTC and SCAL. I have SCAL 4, but I'm not familiar with it, I am used to version 3. I have a Cougar 13" I bought from That's Scrap in 2011.
I did get some good cuts when I started a few days ago, but only on a text weight paper. It dragged a bit on the corners, but not enough to ruin them. Now I am doing the detailed part on top, it's an Air Force emblem. I've edited all the nodes, simplified, and have it down to where it should cut just fine. It won't cut through the cardstock. It sort of scores the top, dragging and tearing, not a decent cut in the piece. I put in a new blade, 45 degree. (Just ordered them from Sherri)
I can't use the origin button at all. It comes on when it wants to.
I see in the forum that I should probably reset the machine. I will try that shortly. In the meantime, how do you tell if it is time to replace the button pad or the mother board. The machine worked just fine, I kept it covered while it wasn't being used. I HAVE to get these out by the end of the month and I am at my wits end! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Sandy

Let yourself day dream, agree with your imagination, laugh at the rules and color outside the lines....
sandyh124

Re: HELP! can't get Cougar to cut right

Postby Gigi » March 22nd, 2015, 7:14 pm

It sounded to me like you had a chipped blade and even though you just replaced it, it could be chipped. Double check and be sure.

I would do a machine reset always when things don't work quite right. A machine just sitting, even covered, isn't necessarily good for any appliance. I totally understand that life gets in the way, just saying that I have certainly pulled out a kitchen appliance that had been used for a period of time and it clearly was not happy with me and chose not to work.

See if the reset helps. Not sure I understand that the origin comes off and on - you can't cut without setting the origin unless you are just using the same origin over and over. Confused.

You don't say what material you are cutting. Are you using a mat? Is it well-brayered etc?

Again, start with a reset - it cures a long list of problems......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby sandyh124 » March 22nd, 2015, 8:00 pm

Thanks for answering Gigi!
I reset the machine and added a new blade. I am using (for testing) 110 weight cardstock, Georgia Pacific. It is at least cutting through the paper now, but still dragging in the cut and pulling the corners.

Right now I have to cut wysisyg because I can't get the laser light to come on when I push the origin button. The light DOES work, because it will come on at some point later while the machine is on. I am using a mat and it is sticky. The paper is securely fastened.

The paper I need to use is Stardream's metallic silver. I have cut it before with no problems. I admit I've been away from it for awhile, but I've been working on these invitations for 2 weeks, and the cutter for a week now. The forum is my last hope.

Sandy
Sandy

Let yourself day dream, agree with your imagination, laugh at the rules and color outside the lines....
sandyh124

Postby Gigi » March 22nd, 2015, 8:19 pm

I know the Stardream paper well. The text weight cuts like butter. The card stock is a little more challenging if there is detail just because it is heavy, but I love the stock.

What software are you using? You don't need the laser light to come on when cutting if you are using SCAL. You only need it for print and cut. The origin will set where your blade is. You may need a light replaced, but that will not affect your cutting.

Is your mat warped? Are you using tables or something to keep the material straight? Did you brayer the card stock or just push it down? Brayering DOES make a difference...
Is your blade set at the right height? Are you cutting a new design? Sometimes the corners of a design can be problematic and slightly rounding a corner will make a huge difference in the way the machine cuts (it's not something you will see in the actual cut, but will take the sharp turn off the corner.

Again - you can cut with origin as it will be set where your blade is - you don't need the laser light on. (assuming you are using SCAL since you mentioned having 4 and being used to 3). SCAL 4 is not that much different, just a lot of new features and so streamlined. I think you will like it when you are not rushed and can look it over.

See if any of those suggestions help. What pressure are you using and what speed? Just curious....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby sandyh124 » March 22nd, 2015, 8:43 pm

Hey,
The mat is an older one, since I am working with the test paper right now. It will be too sticky to use a new one. I did brayer it down thoroughly. I keep a record of all my paper settings, just for reference in Excel. I have used from speed 100 mm, down to 40 mm, and force - from 125 down to 70. This for the Georgia Pacific. I can't ruin too much more of the Silver cardstock I want to use for the invitations. So I am using the cheap cardstock to get the settings right.
I love the Stardream too. Earlier this week, my machine cut the blue sapphire backings for the emblem with just a little pulling at the points. I only have the top portions of the emblem left and the invitations will be finished.
I've tried both MTC and SCAL, same problems. Mat isn't warped, I do have the tables. I have adjusted the blade depth several times. The design is quite pointed. I'll work on it a bit more and see if I can't round it a bit.
Thanks for giving me other things to check! I appreciate it!
Sandy

sandyh124

Postby Gigi » March 22nd, 2015, 9:22 pm

Is your design super detailed? I would increase the speed and see if the cuts are better. I know you have a Cougar, but that is still low for speed.

I understand about the Stardream cardstock - it is pricey. I cut that at about 100-110 I think. THE GP card stock should cut 50-70 depending on your blade height. Again, I know you put a new blade in, but double check and be sure that blade isn't nicked. Occasionally new blades are damaged - not often but it happens. And be sure you have the blade properly positioned.

Good luck.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar