Blade Housing not lifting at end of cut

Blade Housing not lifting at end of cut

Postby Granannie » October 2nd, 2014, 5:50 am

I am still in learning mode. Currently using MTC and today my blade housing is not lifting and returning to origin at end of cut. Any ideas what may be the problem?

Also I tried using the click blade holder and it seems to be set too low even at 1 setting i.e. cuts card when moving to cutting point.

Thanks for any assistance.
Anne
Granannie

Cutter: BC18", silhouette SD, CE

Re: Blade Housing not lifting at end of cut

Postby MeFlick » October 2nd, 2014, 8:09 am

First, I have a couple of questions for you.

What cutter are you using? A Lynx or a Cougar (I am assuming one of those and not a SB since you posted it in the Lynx/Cougar help area.) What computer system are you using? A Mac or a pc? If using a Mac, are you running MTC under a PC emulation or running the MAC version that runs under Wine? What "cord" are you using to go to your Cutter - a regular USB cable or a USB to Serial cable? Have you been cutting to your cutter before with MTC with no issues and just started having issues? If so - what if anything might have changed in your setup. What plug-in are you using within MTC to cut to your machine? There are two that can be used with the BC line - either the BC plug-in or the KNK Maxx plug-in. The BC plug-in is old and doesn't offer as many "tools" as the KNK one does so I usually use the KNK one with my Cougar.

I have some ideas depending upon the answers to some of those questions. Some of which I just sorted out yesterday while I was getting my Cougar to cut from MTC on my Mac (using the KNK plug-in) (It worked by the way - so now I can cut to my Cougar from MTC from either my PC or my MAC). I was able to get it to work correctly but I did have an issue similar to yours where the blade housing was not lifting and returning to the origin at the end of the cut. I got that figured out and resolved though.

As far as the click blade holder - is this a new holder or one you have just started using? It is possible for it to be set too low and it can be adjusted. There is a hex screw up near the top. Probably the "how to" is in the Learning Center. If not, perhaps someone will be able to point you as to where to find that information. I have forgotten exactly how to explain to you on that! Been a long time since I had to adjust that! ;)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby MeFlick » October 2nd, 2014, 8:14 am

Went to the Learning Center to verify - there is a written help document there for adjusting the blade on the click blade holder.

It can be found by going to the BC Learning Center then go to the Accessories tab and then below that you will find the "Adjusting the Click Blade Holder" tutorial.

Found here:http://blackcatus.com/learn/?page_id=2428
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » October 2nd, 2014, 10:22 am

Thanks Melanie for all of your help.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Granannie » October 2nd, 2014, 10:26 am

mcflick. Machine is a cougar, using KNK plug in and I think the cable is USB to serial cable, but will need to check (taking care of grand kids right now). PC is windows 8. I did have a successful cut before, but can't remember if that was on my Win 7 laptop.

Unfortunately, I am dipping in and out trying to learn the machine. I need to be more methodical. Lol!

Thanks for the tip on the click blade. I believe that solves my issue.

I struggled with the logic on the help manual, but now see it is spread across all the categories. This is what happens when you don't give full focus...

Thanks
Anne
Granannie

Postby Gigi » October 2nd, 2014, 10:37 am

Anne -

I can so relate with how you are learning - but I do think if you at least skim through the manual it will give you a good basic overall and will be easier to find a solution when you hit a glitch.

And know, as always, that you can post questions here if you have a problem and the answers elude you. Everyone here is happy to help as they can.

Enjoy those grandchildren - I am envious (mine are too far away :() Glad Melanie was able to help.

Oh- the click blade adjustment can be tricky - be sure you don't pull the hex screw out too far - it can be challenging to get back in (how do I know that?!? :shock: )

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » October 2nd, 2014, 6:58 pm

Granannie wrote:mcflick. Machine is a cougar, using KNK plug in and I think the cable is USB to serial cable, but will need to check (taking care of grand kids right now). PC is windows 8. I did have a successful cut before, but can't remember if that was on my Win 7 laptop.
. . .
Anne

Okay, lets verify your cable and if it is the USB to serial cable. If it is, is it the Keyspan version that is recommended here for use with the Cougars and SBs? If not - you may want to get the Kespan version. I ordered from Amazon and got right away.

If you are using MTC with the KNK plug-in, you may need to adjust your data throttle numbers. You can get to those by clicking on the little wrench icon next to the KNK name when you open the plug-in for cutting - Data Throttle is the last tab there. I forget what the default numbers are - I think it is 5 and 10. I had to change mine to 3 and 15 I believe. I played around with different numbers, but this gave the right result for me. I also had to get the true Keyspan adaptor for my USB to serial connection. I have had my Cougar for several years now and had a different USB to serial cable connection that worked just fine from my PCs to my Cougar with no issues. However, my Mac would not recognize the cutter as being connected until I switched out and got the Keyspan adaptor. Strange I know - you would think if a cable worked with one setup - it would work with another - apparently not always (it had worked with my Windows 7 and 8 computers and a Surface Pro over a period of several years.) Once I got that Keyspan adaptor last week, my computer would recognize the cutter as being attached.

However, prior to that - (and something that doesn't relate to your issue as it was Mac specific) I found out that it looks like Apple released their own ftdi drivers in IOS 10.9 I think it was, that "supersede" or block other drivers and I had to go and tell it to not load their drivers but to load the ftdi drivers I had. (If anyone needs that information - let me know and I can go and see if I can find the links/info. I found). Once I fixed this - I would only get "random cutting" when I sent a cut with the old cable.

Once the computer and MTC was recognizing the cutter with the Keyspan adaptor - I was able to almost get a correct cut - I was testing with a circle. It was cutting about 2/3rds of the circle but then it would not complete the cut AND it would not lift the blade holder and return back to the original point of origin. Once I discovered about the "data throttle" options - I went in and adjusted those based on some support recommendations and lo and behold - it completed my cuts, it lifted the blade holder AND it returned to the original point of origin. I tested this any number of times to ensure it was and repeated the cut to ensure it was returning correctly and it was. I was very happy! (I don't know why really - I didn't NEED for it to cut from my Mac since I have a PC for cutting! ;) - I just like figuring things like that out I guess - I knew if I could use the KNK plug-in on the PC side - I should be able to use it on the Mac side.)

I do know that some users of KNK cutters and PCs have also had to adjust those data throttle numbers to get it to work correctly for some reason (found that in some support ?s on the MTC forum) so this may be what you need to check and see as well. Some I gather have had to take their numbers down to 1 or 2 and 25 but that had the cutting going way to s-l--o-w on my machine.

If anyone needs more "visuals" - let me know and I will see what I can put together.

I am on and off regularly on both this forum and the MTC forum Anne so feel free to pm or email me from either if you need more help or details understanding.

You might first try the data throttle numbers before you worry about trying a different cable. Hopefully that will work without the need for a different cable.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Granannie » October 4th, 2014, 9:43 am

MeFlick - cable is usb to serial port. It is the one supplied with the machine so don't think that was the problem.
I switched to SCAL and machine cut fine and returned to origin. So it must be something in the MTC software and maybe the data throttle you mention. Can't see the data throttle tab. All I have is Laser/Pin offset; calibration resolution and baud rate.

@Gigi - thanks. my grandkids used to be far away. I was in Houston and they were just outside London. We were lucky that we still saw them 3-4 times/yr. However, when retirement approached it was a big decision for me and my husband to move back to the UK (we lived in Houston for + 20 yrs) while we loved the lifestyle, family was a big draw to return. Now I get to see them every week. :D
Granannie

Postby Gigi » October 4th, 2014, 10:12 am

I am sure Melanie can help you figure out the data throttle if that is the issue and you still need help with that. Just glad you are up and running for now.

Wow - what a decision to pick up and move after 20 years in the US. But I can't say that I blame you at all. Being able to see those grandchildren every week is a true blessing. So happy for you. I have another grandchild due mid February and he/she will only be 45 minutes away, so hopefully will get more cuddle time with the new addition. Looking forward to that!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » October 4th, 2014, 10:57 am

Granannie wrote:MeFlick - cable is usb to serial port. It is the one supplied with the machine so don't think that was the problem.
I switched to SCAL and machine cut fine and returned to origin. So it must be something in the MTC software and maybe the data throttle you mention. Can't see the data throttle tab. All I have is Laser/Pin offset; calibration resolution and baud rate. . . .

There are two different cables that come with the machine. One is just a serial cable and the other a usb cable. To use the serial cable through a USB port on a computer - you still had to buy a separate adaptor for that. It does not come with the machine. There are different ones available and some work better then others. They recommend the Keyspan one here with the Cougars and SB. My original one, which was not a Keyspan, worked just fine from my PC and my Surface Pro 2 tablet but not from my Mac. So, it can still be a "cable" issue. You didn't say which computer type you or using - PC or a Mac. That can also possibly be a factor which is why I asked. It seems those with Macs have more issues then those with PCs. I will try to get a pic of the data throttle area later to show you. (Right now off to watch my football team play momentarily).

Since you have your computer recognizing and cutting with MTC to your cutter and the problem is its not lifting the blade housing at the end of the cut - I think it is the data throttle issue. (Note: depending upon your screen size - it may be hard to see that last tab for data throttle - it is the last one off to the right. If you don't see it you might try first clicking on the last one you can see - once you are on that - perhaps it will "move" them over some to the left and you can see the data throttle tab. Since we are not using a plugin written directly for the BC/SB machines - but for the KNK there may be a little tweaking needed in order for it to work correctly. Once I did what I outlined - I got MTC on my Mac to work just fine with my Cougar. While I would prefer that I had a specific plugin for my machine - I know its not there and right now - don't have the time or inclination to work with figuring out SCAL again when I know MTC like the back of my hand! ;) Glad you were able to get it cutting with SCAL.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Granannie » October 4th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Hi Melanie
I've played around a bit more.

Question: Are you sure the data throttle table is in the KNK plugin? The MTC/Zing manual references the setting on the zing plugin.

Anyway, I tried sending the cut from MTC with the force and speed unchecked within MTC and this appears to have resolved the problem. I guess this could be in the manual and I missed it :oops:
Don't you love technology :banghead: Great when it works but frustrating when there is just a small thing that prevents you from getting results. (By the way IT is my profession so not completely dumb around PCs and software even if it appears otherwise.. ;) )

No doubt there will be more questions, and thanks for your willingness to jump in there and help I see you active here and on the MTC forum.

Anne
Granannie

Postby MeFlick » October 4th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Granannie wrote:Hi Melanie
I've played around a bit more.

Question: Are you sure the data throttle table is in the KNK plugin? The MTC/Zing manual references the setting on the zing plugin.

Anyway, I tried sending the cut from MTC with the force and speed unchecked within MTC and this appears to have resolved the problem. I guess this could be in the manual and I missed it :oops:
Don't you love technology :banghead: Great when it works but frustrating when there is just a small thing that prevents you from getting results. (By the way IT is my profession so not completely dumb around PCs and software even if it appears otherwise.. ;) )

No doubt there will be more questions, and thanks for your willingness to jump in there and help I see you active here and on the MTC forum.

Anne

Yes, I am sure that the data throttle tab is in the regular KNK plug-in not just the Zing (at least on the Mac side of it). The Zing plugin would not work with the Cougars so you have to use the other one. Glad you unchecked the force and speed within MTC and set it directly with your machine. I have always set it directly with the machine as because that was I believe what was always advised by Dawn when MTC first came out with the Cougar plugin so that never even dawned on me that it might make a difference.

You don't appear "dumb" at all - IT/troubleshooting used to be my profession to at one time (a long time ago now though) - and sometimes its the little things that make me feel "dumb" too!

In the end - you got it working for you and that is what is important. Sometimes its finding that one little thing or reference of something that someone else says that points us to the "fix". Glad you got yours fixed and running. I was running pretty "high" the past few days as I fixed 3 different issues I was having with 3 different pieces of equipment! Sometimes I am not that lucky! ;)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Elizabeth » October 6th, 2014, 10:45 am

Yes, I am sure that the data throttle tab is in the regular KNK plug-in not just the Zing (at least on the Mac side of it).

Looks like it might be a moot point, but I looked for the data throttle tab by clicking the wrench in the cutter window and didn't find it. I am also running a PC, so maybe it is just a Mac thing. (I don't need to change it, just thought I'd take a look to be helpful.)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Granannie » October 6th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Elizabeth Thanks. Unchecking the force and speed has done the trick.

It's heart-warming how folks go out of their way to help.

Anne
Granannie

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar